Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How matriarchal is Equestria?

silvadel

How matriarchal is Equestria?  

10 users have voted

1. 1. How matriarchal is Equestria?

• It isn't at all -- ponies have the same expectations of Stallions and Mares
    • A tiny bit -- just enough to surprise ponies when a Stallion is doing a job traditionally done by a mare.
    • somewhat by socialization -- it is just how things are but nopony roadblocks stallions.
    • significantly by socialization -- ponies socially tend to keep stallions in their traditional roles.
    • somewhat by legislation -- it is harder for a stallion to enter some fields by law.
    • significantly by legislation -- laws are in place to keep stallions in their roles.

I was watching the most recent episode and I couldn't help but see all the little cues that society in Equestria is matriarchal.  I do not think there are any laws in place, but I think there are significant social mores that tends to encourage stallions into certain roles in society.

Well, imho. Being one of the VERY bronies that believe Celestia is best princess, It's always been my opinon she rules hard. Perhaps not the Iron-hoof treatment but she strikes me as the type to know everything as much as possible.

Not at all. Equestria is gender-egalitarian, not matriarchal or patriarchal. There is simply no indication whatsoever that one gender is advantaged other the other, socially or economically. We've seen ponies of both genders doing all sorts of things, and no indication of any strict gender roles being enforced.

The show has never portrayed their society as being dominated by one gender. It often gives more screentime to female characters, but it's never portrayed one gender as superior or being dominant.

You can argue that their government, at least at the top levels, is matriarchal in a sort of technicality, since the current alicorns are female. Mind you, there's no reason to believe gender is relevant to who can become an alicorn, since it's a matter of merit and capability.

But their society? No. There is not, and never has been, any real evidence to support the notion of Equestria being a matriarchy. Everything we've seen points towards gender equality.

It depends if Ponyville's gender ratio is typical then there are about 9 or 10 mares for every stallion.  It is woman oriented because women are the vast majority

The crowds of background ponies are filled with so many clones and are so inconsistent that you can hardly begin to call them a reliable source of data for a population census.

The gender ratio is most likely even. Of course, you can headcanon whatever regardless I suppose, but most of the ponies in MLP are monogamous (not that I think poly individuals don't exist in Equestria, or that they're not accepted, just that they're rather rare like they are here), which certainly must suggest it being even.

Edited by Vixor
  • Brohoof 1