Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you improve Equestria Girls?

SunsetShimmerStan

On 2024-02-27 at 12:10 PM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

I think they're supposed to be in 10th grade. If we assume everything up to Forgotten Friendship is in the same grade (with the Digital Series season 1 short Last Day of School being the end), then Rollercoaster of Friendship is in the summer after that, then Spring Breakdown is in the spring of the second school year (with the Better Together season 2 short Schedule Swap indicated to be in a new school year), and Holidays Unwrapped is in the December after that so it's in a third school year. So 10th grade is the safest place to put the first movie.

I think that's a good analysis! 10th grade wouldn't be unreasonable for Fluttershy to be working/volunteering at a shelter either. I honestly don't know the shorts very well, but I could see them having their whole friendship conflict in 9th grade and then becoming friends again by 10th.

I will say that their level of school spirit corresponds only to my experience during junior and senior year of high school lol! I know I was not very interested in school pride or whatever until those last two years, so them uniting the whole school wearing all the pep gear makes more sense to me personally if they were juniors or seniors XD But I think they could totally be in 10th grade based on what you said! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if it would have improved it, and ofc Hasbro wouldn't go with this, but having Twi become a horse and Spike become a lizard and try to influence all these familiar seeming humans without speech and just using animal shenanigans, maybe meeting Fluttershy first... that would be sweet

(definitely wanna try that as an AU EQG fic now)

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-02-28 at 3:45 PM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

So then how would we get moments of the CMC being involved in Equestria Girls if they weren't in CHS? Like, how would we get them focus and see them interact with their older sisters, and how we'd still get Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's sisterly bond?

Besides, Canterlot High could just be a grades 6-12 school which could give wiggle room on the CMC being 11-12 and the Rainbooms being 16-18.

And if Snips and Snails weren't in Canterlot High, who would take the place of being Sunset's henchmen in the movie?

And if Twilight tried to just steal the crown, how would we still justify the first movie having the 60-70 minute runtime instead of being over so quickly?

Any idea on improving the climax of the movie and how Sunset is defeated and led into the redemption path?

As for why the humans of the human world have candy colored skin, it could be following the logic of Doug and Big City Greens where multicolored people are normal and isn't questioned.

Maybe they could make the elementary school right next door to Canterlot High.

Sunset's minions could just be characters created originally for the movie like she was.

As someone who writes books for a living, I can safely assure you that things can be dragged out for as long as the plot requires. We can still have those scenes of Twilight meeting the Mirror World versions of her friends, for instance. And maybe there could be Mirror World versions of The Elements of Harmony.

The only thing I can think off of the top of my head is having Sunset's plans exposed during the prom and sent to detention. I do agree that the whole she-demon thing was pretty stupid.

I know there are other cartoons where humans have multicolored skin, but my problem with Equestria Girls' "humans" is that they have magical powers, which is why I subscribe to the siren theory.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

The only thing I can think off of the top of my head is having Sunset's plans exposed during the prom and sent to detention. I do agree that the whole she-demon thing was pretty stupid.

That would be pretty anticlimatic for the movie though if you took out the she-demon climax and simply had the end being sent to detention without a big battle. And what would be the event that causes Sunset Shimmer to feel guilty and inspire her to try and reform if the friendship magic climax didn't happen? Not to mention how Sunset would end up becoming a social pariah to everyone outside the Rainbooms after the first movie and during Rainbow Rocks without the she-demon climax and her trying to brainwash the school into mindless zombies?

Edited by SunsetShimmerStan
  • Brohoof 1

Plothole solved: CHS is a place of varying ages, and the human six all were fresan once. Therefore I believe that the CMC human counterparts are freshmen

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

That would be pretty anticlimatic for the movie though if you took out the she-demon climax and simply had the end being sent to detention without a big battle. And what would be the event that causes Sunset Shimmer to feel guilty and inspire her to try and reform if the friendship magic climax didn't happen? Not to mention how Sunset would end up becoming a social pariah to everyone outside the Rainbooms after the first movie and during Rainbow Rocks without the she-demon climax and her trying to brainwash the school into mindless zombies?

ok, keep the she-demon part in, but have her try to destroy Equestria and The Mirror World instead. to save the day, The Rainbooms use the Mirror World versions of The Elements of Harmony. i still stand by my point that Sunset should go to detention afterwards, though. i think that'll make more sense for her redemption arc. 

7 hours ago, Lawyer Slip said:

Plothole solved: CHS is a place of varying ages, and the human six all were fresan once. Therefore I believe that the CMC human counterparts are freshmen

so, the Mirror World isn't a direct "reflection" (pardon the pun) of Equestria, and the characters' ages aren't the same? that's where my confusion lies. i'd always assumed the pony CMC were seven or eight, while The Mane Six were 14-17 (making them adults in pony years)

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

ok, keep the she-demon part in, but have her try to destroy Equestria and The Mirror World instead. to save the day, The Rainbooms use the Mirror World versions of The Elements of Harmony. i still stand by my point that Sunset should go to detention afterwards, though. i think that'll make more sense for her redemption arc. 

so, the Mirror World isn't a direct "reflection" (pardon the pun) of Equestria, and the characters' ages aren't the same? that's where my confusion lies. i'd always assumed the pony CMC were seven or eight, while The Mane Six were 14-17 (making them adults in pony years)

Correct. It is not a direct reflection. You think 7 year-olds could get a full cosplay and band set up without adults? Of course not. But the Pedestrian CMC is old enough to do so. Oh yeah and when they first appeared the CMC were supposed to be depicted as 9

• Brohoof 2