Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you improve Equestria Girls?

SunsetShimmerStan

(edited)

I would have loved to see a version of EQG where they were adults! It always felt a bit strange to me that they were high-schoolers in the alternate dimension lol (and that Spike was a dog?!) The Mane 6 are adults in the main show, they've got like full-time jobs. Twilight's clearly graduated the pony version of college lol, Rarity and Fluttershy are both small-business owners (well, Rarity's is practically a big business by the end of the show), Applejack runs the family farm, Pinkie's apprenticing with the Cakes until she takes over the bakery, and Rainbow Dash is a professional athlete! Maybe making them adults in EQG would've made it too similar to the pony version of the show, but I still would have liked it lol!

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

I would have loved to see a version of EQG where they were adults! It always felt a bit strange to me that they were high-schoolers in the alternate dimension lol (and that Spike was a dog?!) The Mane 6 are adults in the main show, they've got like full-time jobs. Twilight's clearly graduated the pony version of college lol, Rarity and Fluttershy are both small-business owners (well, Rarity's is practically a big business by the end of the show), Applejack runs the family farm, Pinkie's apprenticing with the Cakes until she takes over the bakery, and Rainbow Dash is a professional athlete! Maybe making them adults in EQG would've made it too similar to the pony version of the show, but I still would have liked it lol!

The ages of the mane 6 were always hard to pin down. Rarity's living on her own and running a shop but she has a little sister in elementary school, that's quite a gap for siblings.

Also I just realized, Sweetiebell's in elementary school in Equestria but her human doppelganger's in high school. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Evil Pink One said:

I think they did a short of this.

They captured someone stilling jewelry, and the guy gave a sad back story of what he did. They felt sorry , but rarity slapped the hard truth and told him stealing is a crime and he was sent to jail XD.

HAA!

A sad story is a sad story. A crime is a crime. Of to jail with you.

A:TLA did a similar story better with Uncle Iroh in the episode "Tales of Ba Sing Se". 

3 hours ago, Casey Pones said:

The ages of the mane 6 were always hard to pin down. Rarity's living on her own and running a shop but she has a little sister in elementary school, that's quite a gap for siblings.

Also I just realized, Sweetiebell's in elementary school in Equestria but her human doppelganger's in high school. 

Very true lol! The Mane 6 feel a lot like 22-27 year-olds to me but I know that's completely subjective :BrightMacContent:I do know several people in real life who have siblings that are much older, so definitely not out of the question! And yes it always cracked me up that the CMC and other elementary ponies were at Canterlot High, maybe it's a combination junior high and high school?? Who knows lol I think they just wanted to fit all our familiar faces into the same school!  Whatever their thought process was, EQG was a very fun spin off! Had some banging songs too, that's one part I wouldn't change for the world. Here are my two fav EQG song remixes, just for funsies:

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

it always cracked me up that the CMC and other elementary ponies were at Canterlot High, maybe it's a combination junior high and high school??

That's what I initially thought, until the My Little Pony Annual 2013 comic book mentioned Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy having gone to Cloudsdale Junior High before going to Canterlot High. Either that wasn't canon with the film/TV media (given it was only in the comic book) or the Crusaders (and other students their age) skipped a couple grades.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, KPackratt said:

That's what I initially thought, until the My Little Pony Annual 2013 comic book mentioned Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy having gone to Cloudsdale Junior High before going to Canterlot High. Either that wasn't canon with the film/TV media (given it was only in the comic book) or the Crusaders (and other students their age) skipped a couple grades.

It's probably not fully canon. After all, it also depicted Moondancer, Lyra, Twinkleshine, Minuette, and Lemon Hearts as older than Twilight despite Amending Fences showing they're the same age as her.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, KPackratt said:

Hmmm maybe an alternate canon? Or the schools went through a very major reconfiguration of how the grades worked after Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy graduated :laugh: Or maybe since they aged the Mane 6 down (assuming they correspond to adults in the main show), they also aged all the CMC-age group up to make them freshmen in high school. On that note, do we know what year of high school the Mane 6 and Sunset Shimmer are in in the show? Since they had already had conflicts in high school before Twilight showed up and helped them be friends again, it always felt to me like they were maybe juniors or seniors.

image.gif.543dfbf4c956d6d6cec7b22ded3b6bfb.gif

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Hmmm maybe an alternate canon? Or the schools went through a very major reconfiguration of how the grades worked after Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy graduated :laugh: Or maybe since they aged the Mane 6 down (assuming they correspond to adults in the main show), they also aged all the CMC-age group up to make them freshmen in high school. On that note, do we know what year of high school the Mane 6 and Sunset Shimmer are in in the show? Since they had already had conflicts in high school before Twilight showed up and helped them be friends again, it always felt to me like they were maybe juniors or seniors.

I think they are seniors, Fluttershy works at the animal shelter.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Lawyer Slip said:

I think they are seniors, Fluttershy works at the animal shelter.

Oh yeah she does!! It would be cool if more of the Mane 6 had part-time jobs in EQG. Imagine an episode with Rarity having a fashion shop internship or something, that'd be fun!

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Oh yeah she does!! It would be cool if more of the Mane 6 had part-time jobs in EQG. Imagine an episode with Rarity having a fashion shop internship or something, that'd be fun!

Sci-Twi would work at a library, AJ would start her own store of apple-related products, Pinkie would work at Pedestria Sugarcube corner, Rainbowdash and Sunset Shimmer would work as full time Super Heros.

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

(edited)
14 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

The shorts do reveal their part time jobs with Good Vibes showing Sunset works as a sushi waitress, Sci-Twi works at an electronics store, and Rainbow Dash works at a sporting goods store. Shake Things Up showed Applejack worked at a smoothie stand until she quit in Rollercoaster of Friendship. Rarity works for the Canterlot Boutique under Prim Hemline as Display of Affection and Good Vibes show. Pinkie works at a waitress in a 50s esque diner as seen in Coinky Dink World, Pinkie Pie Snack Psychic, and Five Stars.

17 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

I think they're supposed to be in 10th grade. If we assume everything up to Forgotten Friendship is in the same grade (with the Digital Series season 1 short Last Day of School being the end), then Rollercoaster of Friendship is in the summer after that, then Spring Breakdown is in the spring of the second school year (with the Better Together season 2 short Schedule Swap indicated to be in a new school year), and Holidays Unwrapped is in the December after that so it's in a third school year. So 10th grade is the safest place to put the first movie.

Edited by SunsetShimmerStan
  • Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Brony Number 42 said:

Have no connection to the pony world. Make it a separate thing. Don't have pony Twilight become a human, and then make two Twilights. Just do the whole thing independently.

Wait that's actually a good idea

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

Have no connection to the pony world. Make it a separate thing. Don't have pony Twilight become a human, and then make two Twilights. Just do the whole thing independently.

Then what would become of the Sunset Shimmer redemption story arc of mean bully to empathetic hero? We kinda to need some ties to the pony world for Sunset since her fallout with Celestia and being her former student is crucial to her story.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

Then what would become of the Sunset Shimmer redemption story arc of mean bully to empathetic hero? We kinda to need some ties to the pony world for Sunset since her fallout with Celestia and being her former student is crucial to her story.

Just have a human-pony war. It's not that hard.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

fix all the plotholes from the first movie. (see here)

Actually, the first one I can explain. Discord, and Iron Will had paws, not hands. And Spike has claws. Equestria's first exposure to hands was when Tirek showed up, which wasn't until the end of season 4

• Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

I don't think so. I quickly forget about that part of her story. She could just be a bully. Or make her a former special student of Principal Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Brony Number 42 said:

I don't think so. I quickly forget about that part of her story. She could just be a bully. Or make her a former special student of Principal Celestia.

Then what about the magic stuff? Where and how would the Rainbooms gain magic and magic threats without any portal to the pony world, let alone the villains gaining magic artifacts? And how would Sunset and Sci-Twi's dynamic go if you're gonna remove the pony world connection, meaning Sunset has less reason to resent and be jealous of Sci-Twi (who would replace Pony Twilight in the first movie) if pony world isn't there?

What would Sunset's motivation and villain plans be if the pony world isn't there?

And there's also the Dazzlings, they're also from Equestria so they also have ties to the pony world.

2 hours ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

fix all the plotholes from the first movie. (see here)

So what are your ideas to fix said plot holes?

Edited by SunsetShimmerStan
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

Then what about the magic stuff? Where and how would the Rainbooms gain magic and magic threats without any portal to the pony world, let alone the villains gaining magic artifacts? And how would Sunset and Sci-Twi's dynamic go if you're gonna remove the pony world connection, meaning Sunset has less reason to resent and be jealous of Sci-Twi (who would replace Pony Twilight in the first movie) if pony world isn't there?

What would Sunset's motivation and villain plans be if the pony world isn't there?

And there's also the Dazzlings, they're also from Equestria so they also have ties to the pony world.

There could be unknown magic from the magic macguffin, which is just a reasonable as some connection to another universe. Something something friendship. Sunset can hate Sci Twi because Sci Twi is sweet and smart. There are plenty of people who hate other people for less than that. Her motivation would be power, just like a lot of villains. Perhaps she was corrupted by some evil magic.

My whole point is, the Pony connection was just an excuse, but the EG universe easily became its own thing. In fact, I think the pony connection detracts from EG. It's like, "oh yeah, I forgot that ponies exist in some other universe for some reason."

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

So what are your ideas to fix said plot holes?

1. (I actually don't agree with that one. Per @Lawyer Slip)
  2. Completely change Sunset's plan. Maybe she could try to destroy both Equestria and The Mirror World and create them anew by mind-controlling The Siren Six and having them use their Elements?
  3. See Point #2.
  4. Remove that scene entirely.
  5. I think this one is justified. Just because Twilight flies at the end of "Magical Mystery Cure" doesn't automatically mean she's used to having wings.
  6. Have Twilight and The Siren Six try to steal the crown.
  7. Have Sunset send one of her minions into Equestria to spy on the goings-on.
  8. Remove all of the kids from Canterlot High.
  9. See Point #2. 
  10. Bonus point: Explain why the people in The Mirror World have candy-colored skin. I've always assumed they were sirens or something, but neither the movie nor the short film series explains this...
  • Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Rock-O-Jello said:
  2. Completely change Sunset's plan. Maybe she could try to destroy both Equestria and The Mirror World and create them anew by mind-controlling The Siren Six and having them use their Elements?
  3. See Point #2.
  5. I think this one is justified. Just because Twilight flies at the end of "Magical Mystery Cure" doesn't automatically mean she's used to having wings.
  9. See Point #2. 
  10. Bonus point: Explain why the people in The Mirror World have candy-colored skin. I've always assumed they were sirens or something, but neither the movie nor the short film series explains this...

I appreciate that you agree with my point on the first one. One down nine to go. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

2 hours ago, Rock-O-Jello said:
  3. See Point #2.
  9. See Point #2. 

So then how would we get moments of the CMC being involved in Equestria Girls if they weren't in CHS? Like, how would we get them focus and see them interact with their older sisters, and how we'd still get Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's sisterly bond?

Besides, Canterlot High could just be a grades 6-12 school which could give wiggle room on the CMC being 11-12 and the Rainbooms being 16-18.

And if Snips and Snails weren't in Canterlot High, who would take the place of being Sunset's henchmen in the movie?

And if Twilight tried to just steal the crown, how would we still justify the first movie having the 60-70 minute runtime instead of being over so quickly?

Any idea on improving the climax of the movie and how Sunset is defeated and led into the redemption path?

As for why the humans of the human world have candy colored skin, it could be following the logic of Doug and Big City Greens where multicolored people are normal and isn't questioned.

• Brohoof 1

I have absolutely no idea, I think it's good that EQG exists and that we have human versions of the characters acting in a more "realistic" world, the movies and shorts are fun but that's pretty much it, I see these stories as nothing more than a supplement for the main MLP series, there's nothing much to add to it, I think after what was done in the first movie it's hard to make something that feels "new" without repeating the same concept.

I see that plenty of people think that Rainbow Rocks is the best EQG movie, I do understand it objectively, but EQG 2013 will always remain as my particular favorite, the concept of a horse princess going to a world that she doesn't know and in which she needs to get used to that world's way of life and also deal with a race against time to stop the plans of another horse that is already used to that world, that was a different concept, seeing Twilight as a human trying to act like a horse, that made the first film a unique experience for me, and this movie ends perfectly with Twilight getting used to that world (not completely, but still) and returning to her world. But then we have Movie 2, Twilight returns but she is already used to that world, the villains too and Equestria almost has no impact on the story. Mirror Magic tried to repeat the concept of the first movie with Starlight Glimmer, but the story was too short and Glimmere learned how to act as a human too fast, Shimmer forgetting how to act like a horse was also a very short moment.

I see people seeing that the characters in EQG could be adults instead, but here's the problem, what would be the difference? I know the High school stuff was mostly made because of Monster Highk, but I also think it was made because it was the only way they thought of making EQG somehow different from the regular MLP series and not just a "what if your favorite horses became humans and lived in the modern world". For me honestly, everything that came out after Movie 1, with a few minor changes here and there, could very well happen in regular MLP, specially now that we have a Generation where the chracters live in a more modern-ish world.

With that all said, I don't think I can answer the question "how would you improve Equestria Girls?" but maybe I could answer "what else would you do about Equestria Girls?", that one I also think it's difficult to answer but at least I can think of something that could be fun or at least work.

I think maybe they could make 5 movies for each of the other 5 Mane Six where each one of them have to go to the Human world and get used to that world, or have all 5 go together at once and Twilight help them act like humans, with Rarity not liking it or someone as Applejack refusing to act as a human. I think it could be interesting, the problem is that this could feel repetitive with them milking the concept of Movie 1.

I don't know, the only better idea I can think of is, them not making another EQG film but rather an MLP film in which a character from the Human universe goes to Equestria and has to get used to being a horse, and the villain would be another human who also went to Equestria, for me that would be very good, I think they could do that with Sci-Twi, her character seems incomplete to me because she never went to Equestria, in Movie 3 she wanted so hard to know the magic of Equestria and she even created portals for that.  But I haven't watched all of EQG yet, maybe they actually already did it and I wrote all this for nothing :crackle:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

of is, them not making another EQG film but rather an MLP film in which a character from the Human universe goes to Equestria and has to get used to being a horse, and the villain would be another human who also went to Equestria, for me that would be very good, I think they could do that with Sci-Twi, her character seems incomplete to me because she never went to Equestria, in Movie 3 she wanted so hard to know the magic of Equestria and she even created portals for that.  But I haven't watched all of EQG yet, maybe they actually already did it and I wrote all this for nothing :crackle:

Sci-Twi (as well as human Rainbow Dash) actually does end up visiting Equestria in Spring Breakdown.

• Brohoof 2