Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you improve Equestria Girls?

SunsetShimmerStan

Since I do see that some think it did run into some problems later on, how would you all have improved the Equestria Girls spin off and the movies? And please respond because I'd love to hear responses.

Edited by SunsetShimmerStan
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Instead of the YouTube shorts, I would have made Equestria Girls into a fully fledged TV show. Ideally, FiM and EG would have had new episodes airing back-to-back in a one-hour block.

As for what the TV episodes would feature, I have a few ideas. Firstly, I'd use the additional runtime to do further worldbuilding for the city of Canterlot and the surrounding areas. It would have been fascinating to learn more about the human world and how it works, beyond just the high school and a few other locations. I would also have the stories feature characters outside the main cast (Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, Vinyl, Wallflower, the Shadowbolts, etc.) more prominently than the shorts did, since I think it would be really neat to see what the other students at CHS and CPA get up to when there's no magic around, and a lot of these characters are fan favorites too. This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy writing slice-of-life EG fanfics, because there's just so much to the human world that was never really explored in canon.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely having full length episodes instead of shorts. Each short has me wanting more. Seeing more of the Shadowbolts would have been nice too. They were supposed to be counterparts of the Mane 6, excluding Twilight. They barley even interacted with each other. Bringing back some more characters from the original show would have been good too, like Soarin for example.

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, Otaku-sempai said:

For one thing, I would greenlight the unproduced Equestria Girls finale

EwdS_ulUcAARnWw.jpg

Barring that, I'd take Confalone's outline to IDW and collaborate with them to turn it into a graphic novel. 

That was never really intended as an outright finale. There were plans for a season 3 after that so it wasn't gonna be the series finale, just the closer for season 2.

5 hours ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

That was never really intended as an outright finale. There were plans for a season 3 after that so it wasn't gonna be the series finale, just the closer for season 2.

Sure, but it would work fine as a finale for EQG.

• 5 weeks later...

Personally, I'm not a fan of the way they redesigned the Mane 7 in late-2017 for the Better Together shorts and specials, I would've kept their original character designs intact instead (or at least alternate between the originals and the redesigns depending on the episode/short, similar to how Sunset had her old design on some of the shorts).

I agree with the idea of an Equestria Girls TV series, I would've loved to have seen that.

It also would've been nice if we saw more of the girls' past, similar to how we saw flashbacks of the ponies' childhoods in FIM. All we got were a Freshman yearbook photo in the first movie and the My Little Pony Annual 2013 comic book.

• Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, KPackratt said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the way they redesigned the Mane 7 in late-2017 for the Better Together shorts and specials, I would've kept their original character designs intact instead (or at least alternate between the originals and the redesigns depending on the episode/short, similar to how Sunset had her old design on some of the shorts).

I agree with the idea of an Equestria Girls TV series, I would've loved to have seen that.

It also would've been nice if we saw more of the girls' past, similar to how we saw flashbacks of the ponies' childhoods in FIM. All we got were a Freshman yearbook photo in the first movie and the My Little Pony Annual 2013 comic book.

Sunset having her original design in some of the Summertime Shorts was due to them being animated by Boulder Media instead of DHX.

Surprised you prefer the first outfits better given the flak they get for the "hoof boots" and putting Rainbow Dash in a skirt.

• Brohoof 1

honestly they should have had there own show

and also have the pony characters meet their own human vers

but for me i think they did pretty good for the movies!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For me I think Equestria Girls peaked with the Legend of Everfree. From what happened in that film I assumed Equestria Girls would transition into some kind of superhero show and we would find out where those geode pendants came from. But despite all this potential, Hasbro just let it slide.

Here's how I would have improved Equestria Girls. 

I would have established Equestria Girls as a tv series set after the events of Legend of Everfree, named after the superhero team they formed. And no it would not be called the Power Ponies.

The first season would follow the girls fighting human criminals and occasionally dealing with magical artifacts created by Equestrian magic leaking into the human world. With the media obsessing over these mysterious superheroes. Episode one would have them given a box like the Chest of Harmony.

Occasionally episodes would, bit by bit, cover the origin, nature and number of the portals between Earth and Equestria. How visitors from Equestria were the source of many Earth myths, especially Greek ones. And eventually the origin of the geode pendants. Which was that this magic was sent by the Tree of Harmony to be found by the girls, that they might protect their world from any magical threats. Choosing them for the same reason their pony doppelgangers were chosen

At one point, in a two-part season finale, a human tries to destroy the portal outside Canterlot High to save earth from these mounting magical threats. To which the girls counter with the knowledge that there are many other portals across the world. Or possibly a human force tries to invade Equestria to seize it's exotic power. Or better yet, a combination of both.

Either way, Sunset Shimmer sacrifices herself in some epic battle but is reborn as an alicorn.

Their chest turns into a castle for Sunset. It contains a new portal to Equestria and a throne room for her and her friends. It's purpose is to provide a place where people can travel freely between the two worlds and headquarters for it's protectors. Sunset is crowned a Princess, whose duty is guarding the boarder of the two worlds, protecting each world from any threats coming from the other and maintaining peace. A position helped with her super friends. And no that's not the name of the team either but it could be a joke in the show.

In the next season we have Princess Sunset Shimmer and the girls still fighting crime and dealing with magical threats while travel is established between Earth and Equestria. We also follow how humanity reacts and adapts to the reality that magic is real.

I've long thought that such a revelation would be the biggest thing in human history, dwarfing even first contact with aliens and trigging a huge change about how we fundamentally think of everything. Also, almost every show or movie I've ever seen involving supernatural elements acts like there's this unwritten rule it has to be kept secret at all costs.

Also, in Legend of Everfree, it looked like Flash Sentry was going to move on from Princess Twilight and possibly get back together with Sunset Shimmer. This series would follow that, maybe Flash and Sunset do get back together, maybe Sunset help Flash Princess Twilight get together instead, or probably I'd have love triangle develop but it's still resolved perfectly.

That is how I would have improved Equestria Girls.

Edited by Casey Pones
Spotted a spelling mistake
  • Brohoof 2

Luna (fim) finds the faculty lot and becomes all powerful and battles everybody. She is on the verge of victory when Celestia (fim) comes in and is all motherly, and then brings Luna back after scolding her a bunch

22 minutes ago, Casey Pones said:

For me I think Equestria Girls peaked with the Legend of Everfree. From what happened in that film I assumed Equestria Girls would transition into some kind of superhero show and we would find out where those geode pendants came from. But despite all this potential, Hasbro just let it slide.

I would have established Equestria Girls as a tv series set after the events of Legend of Everfree, named after the superhero team they formed. And no it would not be called the Power Ponies.

The first season would follow the girls fighting human criminals and occasionally dealing with magical artifacts created by Equestrian magic leaking into the human world. With the media obsessing over these mysterious superheroes. Episode one would have them given a box like the Chest of Harmony.

Occasionally episodes would, bit by bit, cover the origin, nature and number of the portals between Earth and Equestria. How visitors from Equestria were the source of many Earth myths, especially Greek ones. And eventually the origin of the geode pendants. Which was that this magic was sent by the Tree of Harmony to be found by the girls, that they might protect their world from any magical threats. Choosing them for the same reason their pony doppelgangers were chosen

At one point, in a two-part season finale, a human tries to destroy the portal outside Canterlot High to save earth from these mounting magical threats. To which the girls counter with the knowledge that there are many other portals across the world. Or possibly a human force tries to invade Equestria to seize it's exotic power. Or better yet, a combination of both.

Either way, Sunset Shimmer sacrifices herself in some epic battle but is reborn as an alicorn.

Their chest turns into a castle for Sunset. It contains a new portal to Equestria and a throne room for her and her friends. It's purpose is to provide a place where people can travel freely between the two worlds and headquarters for it's protectors. Sunset is crowned a Princess, whose duty is guarding the boarder of the two worlds, protecting each world from any threats coming from the other and maintaining peace. A position helped with her super friends. And no that's not the name of the team either but it could be a joke in the show.

In the next season we have Princess Sunset Shimmer and the girls still fighting crime and dealing with magical threats while travel is established between Earth and Equestria. We also follow how humanity reacts and adapts to the reality that magic is real.

I've long thought that such a revelation would be the biggest thing in human history, dwarfing even first contact with aliens and trigging a huge change about how we fundamentally think of everything. Also, almost every show or movie I've ever seen involving supernatural elements acts like there's this unwritten rule it has to be kept secret at all costs.

Also, in Legend of Everfree, it looked like Flash Sentry was going to move on from Princess Twilight and possibly get back together with Sunset Shimmer. This series would follow that, maybe Flash and Sunset do get back together, maybe Sunset help Flash Princess Twilight get together instead, or probably I'd have love triangle develop but it's still resolved perfectly.

Perfection

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, Casey Pones said:

Worked for Avatar.

I do have some of the A:TLA graphic novels. They at least followed up on loose plot threads or set up background for Korra

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

I do have some of the A:TLA graphic novels. They at least followed up on loose plot threads or set up background for Korra

I do too. Wouldn't mind EG continued as a regular novel either.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Casey Pones said:

I do too. Wouldn't mind EG continued as a regular novel either.

I hadn't considered actual prose novels or novellas. Interesting notion. Gilliam M. Berrow seems to be free! 

My wife found a used copy of one of the Equesria Girls novels, the story of the first Friendship Games. The book is Wondercolts Forever: The Diary of Celestia and Luna (2017; Little, Brown), written by Sadie Chesterfield. Celestia is starting her senior year at Canterlot High while Luna is a freshman. It's a fun read. 

Edited by Otaku-sempai

5 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

Or make Sci/Set canon! 

Sci/set? Oooohhhh. But go woke go broke is still up... Or maybe they'll be able to brake the trend... I don't knowww... Fighting angry parents is hard.

On 2024-02-25 at 4:50 AM, Casey Pones said:

I think they did a short of this.

They captured someone stilling jewelry, and the guy gave a sad back story of what he did. They felt sorry , but rarity slapped the hard truth and told him stealing is a crime and he was sent to jail XD.

HAA!

A sad story is a sad story. A crime is a crime. Of to jail with you.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Evil Pink One said:

I think they did a short of this.

They captured someone stilling jewelry, and the guy gave a sad back story of what he did. They felt sorry , but rarity slapped the hard truth and told him stealing is a crime and he was sent to jail XD.

HAA!

A sad story is a sad story. A crime is a crime. Of to jail with you.

I know and when I saw that I thought we were getting a set up for the future of the series instead of a concept which was just abandoned.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Casey Pones said:

I know and when I saw that I thought we were getting a set up for the future of the series instead of a concept which was just abandoned.

Oh then why not join a RP or make an RP about it and live that fantasy into reality?

Theres a lot who would willingly join.

• Brohoof 1