Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's Character Going Forward

Rocky

Spike's Character Going Forward   

51 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think needs to be done in order to give Spike a better image with the fanbase?

• The writers need to write him better.
    • They should consider having him leave the show for a season and come back a more interesting character.
    • Give him a spinoff show of him on a journey of self discovery to fully break out his potential.
    • You can write Spike out of the show for all I care.
    • I love the baby dragon's character just the way he is!
    • Other

I think I'm starting to move on from the notion of the writers don't much with Spike going forward. I'll just try to enjoy what we get out of him and Cathy's voice work. It is what it is. 

I don't know if Spike should go to school. Isn't he at least as smart as Twilight?

He's even smarter than Twilight Sparkle and and the pony i forgot the name of. He should be the advisor of all the princesses.

Let's talk about a "what if" situation.

Do you think the show would be any different up to this point if Spike was never in the show? Like if Twilight never had him as an assistant? Do you think the mane six's characters would be different for the better or worse with Spike not being written in the show? 

In other words, are there instances in the show where you think to yourself, "No. This only works if Spike does this or that based on who he is as a character and his meaning to the manes." 

Do you think the show would be any different up to this point if Spike was never in the show? Like if Twilight never had him as an assistant? Do you think the mane six's characters would be different for the better or worse with Spike not being written in the show? 

In other words, are there instances in the show where you think to yourself, "No. This only works if Spike does this or that based on who he is as a character and his meaning to the manes." 

Yes. Many of the episodes would come off as off-kilter because Twilight would be talking to herself most of the time. She needs some kind of assistant to bounce ideas off of. Sure, they could give her another pony assistant but then that assistant would essentially be filling Spike's role.

Either give him better episodes(which is possible, they just have to approach them better), or start keeping him as a supporting character, he's fantastic as a supporting character

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a random circumstance that involves Spike and the end of Season 3 that has always bothered me.

I always felt like Magical Mystery Cure while good was a really rushed season finale and kinda contrived. Not to mention I felt that Just For Sidekicks was kind of a pointless episode in general. The reason I bring this up is because I felt that Magical Mystery Cure would have been stronger if it was a 2 parter and have Twilight struggle a bit to finding a solution to save her friends or accepting her new role as princess. I didn't feel like they did enough of having Twilight take in the moment of her getting wings to the point where her being a Princess was clearly a marketing move by Hasbro. 

On another note, have you noticed something strange about Just For Sidekicks and Games Ponies Play? You know how Spike wasn't invited with the rest of the manes to the Crystal Empire with the games inspector? Despite him being seen as the one who saved the Crystal Empire? There is absolutely positively no reason why not to bring Spike with them to the Crystal Empire. None. At all. Of course I know they make it up to Spike in the next season by treat him like a God pretty much, though I feel that was kind of excessive but whatever, but that one plot point has always bothered me to this day and that extra episode slot could have been used to pace the S3 finale so much better.

On top of all that, do you ever wonder if Spike wonders if he's really helped Twilight at all get to where she is today? I mean she recognizes the other manes all the time but hardly ever Spike. To the point where I feel Spike could consider going to the Crystal Empire for a while and help out the Crystal Ponies for an episode. Maybe help him get a different perspective on things going on with him now and what lies ahead for him. Hay, you can have Cadance talk to Spike how he feels underappreciated and is being Twilight assistant going to be his life forever? Yeah this is kinda cliche with the "You have your whole life ahead of you and you have the potential to do something even more special than any of us princesses have done." Though Spike being the centerpiece of bringing ponies and dragons together does have potential for fanfiction. 

At the same time, Twilight and the other manes will have a talk about if they have been under appreciating Spike all this time. Maybe each could have a brief flashback of Spike doing something small that leds up something big. Then they would all venture to the Crystal Empire to apologize to Spike and they tell each other what they've learned from their experiences.  

Maybe if Spike was around the CMCs a lot more often I wouldn't feel that he was left out so often. Yeah fans will argue that Spike is a mature kid character and the CMC's immaturity would drive him bonkers but at the same time, I think Spike needs that. He's had to work and take care of Twilight so much throughout his life that maybe he just needs time to unwind and act more of his supposed age. One of those "Enjoying being a kid" kind of storylines. I think Hey Arnold did an episode like that. 

More than anything I'd love to see him paired up with someone that isn't Rarity or Twilight for a change. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, AJ again, even the CMC. Hell anything would be better than him screw up for Twilight or failing to win Rarity's heart for the millionth time

More than anything I'd love to see him paired up with someone that isn't Rarity or Twilight for a change. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, AJ again, even the CMC. Hell anything would be better than him screw up for Twilight or failing to win Rarity's heart for the millionth time

He was the sidekick in Power Ponies and was a writer for Rainbow Dash on Mare Do Well. Also he acted as co-announcer for the Iron Pony competition alongside Pinkie.

He was the sidekick in Power Ponies and was a writer for Rainbow Dash on Mare Do Well. Also he acted as co-announcer for the Iron Pony competition alongside Pinkie.

None of those were full episodes dedicated to him paired with other characters, just little side add-ons. I'm talking about something like Spike at Your Service, which was a dedicated Spike/Applejack episode

Edited by Megas75

None of those were full episodes dedicated to him paired with other characters, just little side add-ons. I'm talking about something like Spike at Your Service, which was a dedicated Spike/Applejack episode

I see it as pairings that Spike has done. I don't know if pairing Spike with the other mane six will make it a good episode. I mean Spike can do things on his own like in Dragon Quest which I would like to see more about him without the need for a co-star.

• Brohoof 1