Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Should I get Smash Bros Melee?

gamecubeguy214

Super Smash Bros Melee  

4 users have voted

1. 1. Should I get it?

• Yes
    • No

Ok, so I play Brawl and like competitive play. However, everybody says that Brawl is too slow and disappoints competitive players, so I want to get Melee because I like to play Smash more competitively and Melee is a competitive game. The thing is, I see competitive Melee players, for example Mango and Mew2King, and they're playing as fast as frick. I can't keep up with what they're doing, so my fingers probably can't do anything of what they're capable either. Another reason I feel like I possibly shouldn't get Melee is because I have a little bit of a difficulty with learning, so I might have a lot of troubles with Melee things like moonwalking, foxtrotting, wavedashing, etc so I might suck at the game if I can't learn those things. Even with these things, should I get Melee? I wanna get Melee because so many Smash players have it and Smash Bros is my favorite series of all time.

It's your choice. The problem here is that you're comparing yourself to other fantastic players like Mew2King. The more you do that, the less you'll have the motivation to play. Competitive play takes a lot of patience to master, so if you're willing to have the patience, you'll become more and more better at it. Just focus on yourself rather than other players around you.

Also, don't feel as if you can't learn. Perhaps you learn differently from others. If reading is not what you're good at, try video tutorials instead. Try to learn how you learn things rather than feel as if you can't do this sort of stuff.

Competitive Smash may be complicated, but it is not impossible to master. Just focus on the basic things about Smash first. Also, ask your fellow players on how they play competitively. Their tips could really come in handy.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

try video tutorials instead. Try to learn how you learn things rather than feel as if you can't do this sort of stuff.

Competitive Smash may be complicated, but it is not impossible to master. Just focus on the basic things about Smash first. Also, ask your fellow players on how they play competitively. Their tips could really come in handy.

I have seen a video tutorial on wavedashing for if I ever do get my hands on the game, but sometimes things look easier than they actually are. I might have trouble with wavedashing, foxtrotting, moonwalking, etc even after seeing tutorials on them several times, thinking I have them down.

I get that competitive Smash is complicated and that it's possible to master. I already know I tiny bit more than the basics. I already have memorized the full moveset of the fighters I main, and I know about smash attacks and tilts and aerials and everything, I know the basics. All I really know much further than the basics is SHFF in Brawl and Sm4sh, but that's about it. I do not have any friends to play competitive Smash in Apex or Evo. If I did, their tips would help a lot, that's for sure.

The only thing I can see being slightly difficult is practicing. The techniques are hard enough to learn, but you'd also need to practice against a realistic opponent rather than level 9 AI. That being said, melee was a fun game on its own and if you're a fan of the series, I don't see why you wouldn't want it in your collection.

• Brohoof 1

The techniques are hard enough to learn, but you'd also need to practice against a realistic opponent rather than level 9 AI.

But I don't have a lot of friends, and my only friend that ever comes to my house rarely comes here, so my lonely life only has lvl 9 AI.

Even if you can't get into the competitive play, Melee is still a great game with tons of content. Granted, the 2 after it have much more, but what's there was tons for the time and still is tons today. Unlocking some of the characters can be kind of a pain tho.

Competitive wise, the advanced tech isn't too hard to do after a little practice, but figuring out the best ways to implement it can be a struggle because it's super freeform. It's fun stuff though. :)