Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC alicorn idea (what do you think)

PonyPal123

Ok so I know the does and don'ts for an alicorn but I had an a watching MLP and that was making a sister for Princess Cadence.

I was thinking of making a little younger that Twilight Sparkle and she was going to have a purple mane and a blue or cream body and I was going to name her Purple Nova Purple because its means belonging to or befitting a supreme ruler and Nova because it means a star that ejects some of its material in the form of a cloud and becomes brighter in the process.

Her cutie mark is not certain yet but I was thinking of a simple star with a cloud/ fog mist thing behind it

She is very funny and loves adventures,she is good at both flying and magic but not overly good on the magic part so that's why she studies to get better.

I haven't come up with all the details yet but I wanted to know what you guys think before I go further

and I you have any tips on what I should and shouldn't do then feel free to tell me but please try not to go overboard if you don't like my idea :squee:

I have my own Alicorn OC and I'm always willing to dole out my two cents. Alicorn OCs are very hard to create well as they are potent ways to get one's ideas into the setting of Equestria, yet it's proven many times to be too much temptation for newer writers to make their characters Mary Sues. You have to find a balance and unfortunately, there's no guide to that.

I think the best piece of advice I can give you is keep in mind that your Alicorn is part of a set. Make her fit in, not outshine. As there's not a lot of concrete information about Alicorns, it can be pretty hard sometimes. Don't be afraid to let your character evolve and grow as time and new information comes to light. You have a good start so far, just figure out the smaller details and you'll be fine. :)

Of the four characters currently known as alicorns, two of them are explicitly stated not to have begun life that way.

Twilight obviously was originally a unicorn, but in the extended canon (written by I think Amy Keating Rogers?), Cadance was originally a pegasus, and became an alicorn courtesy of Celestia sharing the Matrix of Princessship with her.

Cadance was also an abandoned orphan.

This means that Cadance would most likely not have an alicorn sibling, if indeed any siblings at all.

I'm okay with not following that extended canon, of course, but the implication is still that every character who is now an alicorn had to become that way, including Celestia and Luna, and you need to have a reason for this one too.

Edited by Lucky Shot

I have my own Alicorn OC and I'm always willing to dole out my two cents. Alicorn OCs are very hard to create well as they are potent ways to get one's ideas into the setting of Equestria, yet it's proven many times to be too much temptation for newer writers to make their characters Mary Sues. You have to find a balance and unfortunately, there's no guide to that.

I think the best piece of advice I can give you is keep in mind that your Alicorn is part of a set. Make her fit in, not outshine. As there's not a lot of concrete information about Alicorns, it can be pretty hard sometimes. Don't be afraid to let your character evolve and grow as time and new information comes to light. You have a good start so far, just figure out the smaller details and you'll be fine. :)

Of the four characters currently known as alicorns, two of them are explicitly stated not to have begun life that way.

Twilight obviously was originally a unicorn, but in the extended canon (written by I think Amy Keating Rogers?), Cadance was originally a pegasus, and became an alicorn courtesy of Celestia sharing the Matrix of Princessship with her.

Cadance was also an abandoned orphan.

This means that Cadance would most likely not have an alicorn sibling, if indeed any siblings at all.

I'm okay with not following that extended canon, of course, but the implication is still that every character who is now an alicorn had to become that way, including Celestia and Luna, and you need to have a reason for this one too.

Thank you both for your comments, it really helps me a lot and has given me some new ideas as to what I can do with my character

:)

(at risk of sounding mean here, I'm not trying to be mean at all :c )

I'm pretty sure the whole "Little Sister of Cadence" thing has been done already... if you are going to make an Alicorn OC (my backstory has several Alicorn OC's in it, but my OC himself is not an Alicorn, they don't remain around for long anyways) At least try to make it as original, and your own concept as possible. something like this one that I created:

7a9352a51b3c58c17eb19375258bbdd1.png

He is a very powerful Unicorn (far above average) and has a unique spell which allows him to create wings of light that he can use to fly, create wind and manipulate the weather. Though not an Alicorn Biologically he is considered to be an Alicorn by his peers and the other Alicorns of the land.

Notice the originality? :P if you are going to make an Alicorn OC, try and make it as unique and as much your own idea as you possibly can. and try to avoid Mary-Sue mechanics wherever possible, for every strength, give them a weakness.

Personally, I'd avoid making direct relations to show-characters, as those tend to be very over-used and share a lot of characteristics. If you are determined to make one like that though, at least try to give it a creative twist on the others :)

Edited by ZarosianPony

Drop the wings or the horn(or both). Alicorn OCs are almost never done well.

Also I would advise you to not make her a sister of Cadence. 

At least give some feedback, not ALL Alicorn OC's are hated, it's the Mary-sue Can do no wrong, all powerfull types that are hated.

If you hate an OC just purely because of its species, then you need your head looking at.

Just a reminder to everybody to not write argumentative posts in the Original Character Help section. Some posts had to be removed in this topic as a result. If you want to continue with your conversations elsewhere, please do so by sending PMs with one another.

Not a bad idea but i know about the "Cadence being an orphan" story so if you just extend that story & say that Cadence was found with a younger filly (which they say is her younger sister) i think that would be a great story!  :icwudt:

PonyPal,

I don't mind your idea at all.  Develop her a bit more and see what happens, I say.  You may find, as you're defining more and more about her, that you learn some things you didn't know about her yourself, initially.  Lots of good characters end up shaping themselves, in that way.  Good luck!  :)

Your Dude

PonyPal,

I don't mind your idea at all.  Develop her a bit more and see what happens, I say.  You may find, as you're defining more and more about her, that you learn some things you didn't know about her yourself, initially.  Lots of good characters end up shaping themselves, in that way.  Good luck!   :)

Your Dude

Notice the originality? if you are going to make an Alicorn OC, try and make it as unique and as much your own idea as you possibly can. and try to avoid Mary-Sue mechanics wherever possible, for every strength, give them a weakness.   Personally, I'd avoid making direct relations to show-characters, as those tend to be very over-used and share a lot of characteristics. If you are determined to make one like that though, at least try to give it a creative twist on the others

Thank you both for your advice i will try what each of you said and see where it gets me :squee:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@@PonyPal123, I would agree on not making her "Cadance's sister". Maybe a cousin or second cousin instead? Presumably Cadance was placed with a family who raised her, Celestia being busy with ruling Equestria, so considered the cousins of the siblings to be her cousins? In any case, I don't really like born alicorn OCs cuz the only ones in the show are Celestia and Luna. I much prefer ascended alicorns, like Cadance or Twilight, cuz it makes more sense. However, if you go down this route, you had better make sure that your OC has a reason for being ascended. Twilight finished a spell, which seemed to be the final task in a long winding road of tasks; Cadance performed a great feat and defeated a bad pony threatening harm.

Ok so I know the does and don'ts for an alicorn but I had an a watching MLP and that was making a sister for Princess Cadence.

I was thinking of making a little younger that Twilight Sparkle and she was going to have a purple mane and a blue or cream body and I was going to name her Purple Nova Purple because its means belonging to or befitting a supreme ruler and Nova because it means a star that ejects some of its material in the form of a cloud and becomes brighter in the process.

Her cutie mark is not certain yet but I was thinking of a simple star with a cloud/ fog mist thing behind it

She is very funny and loves adventures,she is good at both flying and magic but not overly good on the magic part so that's why she studies to get better.

I haven't come up with all the details yet but I wanted to know what you guys think before I go further

and I you have any tips on what I should and shouldn't do then feel free to tell me but please try not to go overboard if you don't like my idea :squee:

Try not to do the Cadance's sister thing. More often than not, if a very important canon character is that closely related, the OC will get out of hand.

About the reasoning for 'Purple Nova': I'm not really on board with the whole 'supreme ruler' thing. And don't make her so...well...great, I guess.

About the cutie mark: Well, the cutie mark should be (a) unique, (B) meaningful, © fitting, (d) see the not-so-great part.

Doesn't she have any... y'know...flaws?