Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the deal with the MLP:FiM writers?

Odyssey

It seems that from what I've seen, the writers of MLP:FiM get quite a bit of attention, more so than most other TV show writers. Is there any reason why for this? I can't seem to pinpoint why they even get that much attention, as they don't have full control over what they want to write.

Like Merriwhether Williams, for example. A lot of people say that's she's bad at writing, but is that really all her fault? When you compare episodes like MMDW to Wonderbolts Academy, you recognise that Rainbow Dash has vastly different personalities, but I don't think that Ms. Williams gets much control in that. We still have stuff like story editors and whatnot, which do change with each new season.

Is all of this attention there for a reason? I'm very interested to know.

It seems that from what I've seen, the writers of MLP:FiM get quite a bit of attention, more so than most other TV show writers. Is there any reason why for this? I can't seem to pinpoint why they even get that much attention, as they don't have full control over what they want to write.

Like Merriwhether Williams, for example. A lot of people say that's she's bad at writing, but is that really all her fault? When you compare episodes like MMDW to Wonderbolts Academy, you recognise that Rainbow Dash has vastly different personalities, but I don't think that Ms. Williams gets much control in that. We still have stuff like story editors and whatnot, which do change with each new season.

Is all of this attention there for a reason? I'm very interested to know.

Well other shows don't always have as many writers as MLP does. But it's also easy to perceive that they get more attention than writers from other shows when you're actually in this fandom. Like, if you were in another show's fandom, you'd probably know who the writers on that show were as well.

Excuse me if I’m wrong about this presumption of mine. I’m looking at “What’s the deal with the MLP: FIM writers?” but I’m reading “Why should we criticize MLP writers?”

I tend to criticize the entire team. But then people say that not all writers are bad and that I should stop distributing blame to everyone. And then I criticize someone who writes your traditional bad Spike episode, and people say that it’s not their fault cause they don’t have full control … and then I ask who should I criticize and they execute the “kid show” protocol. Yeah, I’m riding a hyperbole. Just let me have this.

So who is responsible for bad episodes? Can we ever get a general consensus on what a bad episode is? If we cannot put them on a scale, does that mean there are no good episodes? Then there’s that toys-before-ponies problem where any criticism that’s not supported with sales statistics means jack shit, but when sales statistics show decline, it’s the toy brand’s fault. Writers are reduced to glorified commercial designers that can do no wrong as long as they maintain decent publicity. A half-truth at best, but even a half-truth can be problematic if true enough.

So why should we criticize? We should criticize not because it matters, but because we care. It is care that compels us to partake in such vile actions! Care is this sin that drives us mad! Care is the blessing that keeps us moving forward!