Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 5 premeire retconned by finale friendship speech?

ManaMinori

So does anyone think that Twilight having to talk Starlight down with the friendship speech in the season 5 finale really shouldn't have worked? Starlight was quick to tell Twi to shove it, when she was trying to give the friendship speech in the season premier. She stalked Twi the entire seson, so Starlight should know Twi's tactics. She was able to cover all her bases beating her in magic and foresight.

Because Starlight refused to be talked down with a friendship speech the first time, and get away, should she have told Twi to shove the speech where the sun doesn't shine again, and have gotten away with all that she did in the season finale as well?

If season 5 had ended with Starlight winning, as she rightfully should have, after what we saw in the premeire, and managing to stay 3 steps ahead of Twi the entire time during the finale, do you think season 6 could've presnted the story of Twi having to search for Starswirl for him to deal with Starlight's abuse of his spell, before disaster worsens, and the future she saw come to pass? Could it have led into a season 6 where Twilight feeling so distraught in failing as princess of friendship to Starlight that she turns to dark magic when her own magic had failed, but getting overtaken by it because of her regrets and low self esteem, and events worsening regardless now with Twi on the dark side? (I think Starlight seeing evil Twi and stopping the mess she caused in the s5 finale, to have t try and take darkTwi down in season 6 would've been interesting)

Given the evidence and attitudes in season 5's premeire and through the season, should Starlight have accepted the speech from Twi in the finale?

Should season 5 ended with a cliffhanger, with Starlight trumping Twilight, for setup unto the aforementioned scenarios for season 6?

What scenario can you see in store for season 6, since unfortunately, those scenarios didn't happen?

• Brohoof 2

I think you would've also overthought your actions, if you saw the future of Equestria. A barren wasteland.

Besides, considering that this is supposed to deliver a positive message, something this dark and edgy will never happen.

So yeah, it did make sense, because Starlight didn't want to bring doom to Equestria.

• Brohoof 2

I think you would've also overthought your actions, if you saw the future of Equestria. A barren wasteland.

Besides, considering that this is supposed to deliver a positive message, something this dark and edgy will never happen.

So yeah, it did make sense, because Starlight didn't want to bring doom to Equestria.

Actually that doesn't make sense at all. She states how she detests the mere possibility of Twilight's friends even being that important so if anything she should've stopped on her own and stilled hated Twilight not actually listen to her.

Edited by Stasis

Actually that doesn't make sense at all. She states how she detests the mere possibility of Twilight's friends even being that important so if anything she should've stopped on her own and stilled hated Twilight not actually listen to her.

What would've been more important? Her making peace with Twilight, or that she would be the doom of Equestria?

That wasteland she saw, probably really got her thinking.

What would've been more important? Her making peace with Twilight, or that she would be the doom of Equestria?

That wasteland she saw, probably really got her thinking.

That's another huge problem with her redemption. The show seems to think that that's the only two options but she could've easily have not doomed and still hate Twilight. The moment she started listening to Starlight's it felt massively OOC and it kinda kills how much faith she has in her ideology. Edited by Stasis
  • Brohoof 2

That's another huge problem with her redemption. The show seems to think that that's the only two options but she could've easily have not doomed and still hate Twilight. The moment she started listening to Starlight's it felt massively OOC and it kinda kills how much faith she has in her ideology.

Starlight believed in her ideology because she lost a friend and when she saw that this ideology didn't worked out, she transfered that anger towards Twilight. Starlight needed to see what her past would do to the future and she had the choice to think what she could do with it.

Also, don't throw the word OOC in the room. That's one of the most overused terms for an analytical defence. People like to call characters OOC, when they try to grow.

• Brohoof 2

Starlight believed in her ideology because she lost a friend and when she saw that this ideology didn't worked out, she transfered that anger towards Twilight. Starlight needed to see what her past would do to the future and she had the choice to think what she could do with it.

Also, don't throw the word OOC in the room. That's one of the most overused terms for an analytical defence. People like to call characters OOC, when they try to grow.

I didn't say it was OOC. I said it felt OOC because there's no good reason for Starlight to listen to Twilight whatsoever.

That's my problem on how she gave up so quickly. Her anger towards Twilight is the reason she came close to destroying the future not her ideology. Her ideology is kinda inconsistent with her backstory anyways.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't say it was OOC. I said it felt OOC because there's no good reason for Starlight to listen to Twilight whatsoever.

That's my problem on how she gave up so quickly. Her anger towards Twilight is the reason she came close to destroying the future not her ideology. Her ideology is kinda inconsistent with her backstory anyways.

Why? It's pretty easy. Her friend Starburst got the cutie mark before her, so he left her in the dust, because he thought he was something better then her, so, to make sure other ponies wouldn't suffer the same fate as her, she founded this society where everypony is equal.

I think it makes sense, but that is me.

Why? It's pretty easy. Her friend Starburst got the cutie mark before her, so he left her in the dust, because he thought he was something better then her, so, to make sure other ponies wouldn't suffer the same fate as her, she founded this society where everypony is equal.

I think it makes sense, but that is me.

Some hate this reasoning because it's really weak but I don't like it because it doesn't make much sense and mesh with the Starlight from premiere. It's how they frame it. The way they frame it in her backstory it doesn't seem like the problem was that someone thought they were superior to you because of your Cutie Mark. It felt like the problem was she couldn't get hers at the same time and it doesn't match up with the premiere because if her backstory is to be believed then with her hatred of Cutie Marks then there shouldn't be a reason the equal mark exists at all. Basically her utopia should not be a village where everyone is equal through a Cutie Mark. It should be a village where they don't have Cutie Marks at all.

• Brohoof 1

Some hate this reasoning because it's really weak but I don't like it because it doesn't make much sense and mesh with the Starlight from premiere. It's how they frame it. The way they frame it in her backstory it doesn't seem like the problem was that someone thought they were superior to you because of your Cutie Mark. It felt like the problem was she couldn't get hers at the same time and it doesn't match up with the premiere because if her backstory is to be believed then with her hatred of Cutie Marks then there shouldn't be a reason the equal mark exists at all. Basically her utopia should not be a village where everyone is equal through a Cutie Mark. It should be a village where they don't have Cutie Marks at all.

Well, i won't deny that it's cheesy. But people think that cheesy is ultimately bad, which isn't the case in my book. But whatever. :P

I will be honest and say that i don't know where your problem is. But at the same time i think you probably don't know how i could see any good in this episode.

So instead of going on with this for 20 pages, i would just say that we should agree to disagree. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Twilight's speech would work on a villain who achieved their goal but ultimately found out it was a complete waste and have no reason to go on.

Twilight could have also took a hit to herself and intervened by preventing Starburst from getting his Cutie Mark.

• Brohoof 1

A lot happened to Starlight in the time between the premier and the finale.  She saw her dream shattered and lost all of her friends, she was alone and consumed by her hatred for Twilight and ultimately I think that hatred was what kept her going.  Starlight had lost everything and needed something to focus on and prop her up.  Her revenge against Twilight filled that void.

But when she'd finally achieved her victory, I think that Starlight realized that the void in her heart wasn't filled.  Making Twilight as miserable as she'd become was an empty win.  It didn't make her happy or bring her satisfaction.

Maybe that's what changed her and made her finally listen to what Twilight had to say about friendship.  It would have boiled down to a simple decision at that point; hold onto her hatred and continue to be alone or take a chance and hope for something better.  

What I'm wondering is why it took Twilight saying "Make new friends, try again" for Starlight to perform her Heel-Face turn. Why didn't Starlight get redeemed when she saw the barren wasteland, and all it took was a "make new friends" speech from Twilight? One would think she would be more convinced by the former, no?

Using Time Travel and a friendship speech is more effective than using a friendship speech....

Also, Starlight is a moron. She has the ability to Time Travel and what does she do? Stop her friend from entering the academy so they would remain friends? Nope.  She goes after Twilight.

Funny thing is, despite her meddling. It seems in every future she changed the event of her friend dumping her still occurs despite the ripples that altering one event would cause. XD

What I'm wondering is why it took Twilight saying "Make new friends, try again" for Starlight to perform her Heel-Face turn. Why didn't Starlight get redeemed when she saw the barren wasteland, and all it took was a "make new friends" speech from Twilight? One would think she would be more convinced by the former, no?

It's probably because her hatred for Twilight gives her reason to second-guess what she is saying in the wasteland future. She knows Twilight is very proficient with magic and to her, it was very likely Twilight created that wasteland to try and get her to stop messing with time.