Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hey There! new to the brony world- asking questions for a paper

amancia

2) a few answers touched on the idea that My Little Pony wasn't originally intended for males. Some where hesitant to view the show at first because of this, perhaps even to share their love for the show with others due to gender stereotypes. (although in general, it appears that most people have had an overall positive experience in this. please correct me if i'm wrong).

What are your opinions on how Bronies as a group that are defying gender norms? Do you think this is true, and if so is it significant?

To be quite honest, amancia, it's not that the show wasn't originally intended for males, as I believe the creator of Friendship is Magic made the show specifically to break gender norms as far as childrens cartoons are involved. People viewed G1 ponies as exceptionally girly, and for good reason. With Friendship is Magic, gender norms changed. The ponies were no longer exceptionally girly, and to show this, I present to you Rainbow Dash. Quite obviously the tomboy of the group. Not only that, but the message is resonant throughout the show that gender shouldn't matter whether or not you enjoy something. They make that message painfully obvious, and Tara Strong did an excellent job with it.

Defying gender norms isn't exactly what the Brony community should be attributed with, nor do I believe that's why people see us, however I do believe it is a significant part of why people view the Brony stereotype so terribly. For years, if you looked at things like little boys playing with Barbie dolls, or little girls playing with Tonka trucks, you'd swap them and say "This is what you were meant to play with, trucks are for boys and dolls are for girls." Adult males, especially ones with children that watch the show prove that there is more to the community in ways of defying gender norms, because they teach their children to love themselves not only for what they enjoy, but for the differences that make them special, much like the ponies cutie marks make them different from the other ponies. No one person can be set apart as more important than another, because everyone has their own special talents. Everyone has their own way of enjoying something, whether it be girls and cars, or boys and the color pink.

I may have gotten sidetracked with that answer, and I do apologize, but I believe you brought up a valid question, and I feel as if your question would be best answered in a recorded discussion. Something of which I'd like to actually do for a Twitch talk show, to maybe add to YouTube or in a podcast style thing one day, and I invite all those interested to message me. Maybe we can get something going.

1.) How old are you? When did you first discover My Little Pony and what did you initially think?

I am 21 years old. I don't remember when I first discovered the show, but it was probably while under the influence of LSD or a similar hallucinogen. In this situation the colors and atmosphere created in the show are what pulled me in.

2. The words like friendship, loyalty and honesty seem to come up often when describing the show. Do you think these values are important to the Brony community?

Yes, friendship, loyalty, and honesty are vital themes of My Little Pony. nominally these values are important to the Brony community; however, I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe the previously mentioned values are more prevalent here than elsewhere. If I were to be representative of the Brony community then I would have to say we do our best to be outstanding citizens, but within the right conditions the ends justify the means.

3. What do you like about identifying as a Brony or being active in the Brony community? Is there anything you dislike about it?

I don't identify myself as a brony, but it is a pleasure to be part of this community. The mane (obligatory pun) reason I enjoy this community is because there is a plethora of talent here: from visual, aural, and written arts, to leadership and academia, there is no lack of able-bodied individuals. I've yet to find a dislike about this community.

4. How do you feel about the term "Brony"?

The term Brony is pretty self-explanatory as far as words go, and I like it for this simplicity. I find that having any sentiment associated with the word trifling, and I myself am detached from it outside of when others use it to describe me; however, that is beyond my control.

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

I have had a moment in which my appreciation of My Little Pony was publicly and widely made known. I was chilling in a parking lot talking to some school peers when one asked about a Rarity necklace I was wearing. When I explained the nature of the necklace I became the center of discussion. A mother said her daughter would kill for my necklace, and then pretty much I became the subject of jokes and I fired back with my own. We all laughed pretty hard and moved to another topic when we got our fill of the spontaneous brony topic. I never felt the need to tell others I love My Little Pony unless someone introduced the topic first, but I am not hesitant to talk about it.

I feel that my "coming out" experience was positive: the company I was with were friends or friendly. While jokes were made at my expense, because I laughed at myself and the jokes, as well as "retaliated", the experience turned out to be what it was.

6. How many hours a week do you spend engaging in the Brony Community?

This really varies, and can be anywhere from 0-30 hours a week depending on my free time. This is my first time online in 5 days.

7. What  do you feel makes you a Brony?

I am a brony because it is a label that others have assigned to me. I am in no way attached to it nor do I identify with the title.

8. Who is your most and least favorite character and why?

I like Applejack the most because her demeanor and environment reminds me of my home town in South Carolina. I grew up surrounded by farms, and the hospitality that AJ displays is a hark to the friendliness I find bred into the people who live around where I grew up. My least favorite character is Angel. His character is an amalgamation of every behavior I loath. Angel is bossy, throws fits, and displays cognizant fatuity because of this.

9. Lastly, is there an episode that I should absolutely watch?

The Mane Attraction is a must watch: this episode fully displays the musical talent dedicated to My Little Pony.

The Season five finale is another great episode, and A Canterlot Wedding is great as well. Both of these two episodes display maturity beyond the years of the target audience and are good examples of why there is an older, unintended audience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your opinions on how Bronies as a group that are defying gender norms? Do you think this is true, and if so is it significant?

Bronies are defying gender norms in that historically the show My Little Pony is tailored to young girls, this history solidifies My Little Pony as a girls show, and the advent of a male audience consequently created a deviation from history. This deviation shows that the audience that grew up with My Little Pony wanted to revive their nostalgia and enjoy it on a level on par with their maturity. Thus, the real usurpation of norms is that grown members of society are more open to child-like methods of expression and relaxation.

Edited by SugarfootWillie

1) what is ABB?- i believe that is a term someone used in criticism within the brony community?

Upon a quick search, it appears to stand for Anti-Brony Brotherhood.

2)What are your opinions on how Bronies as a group that are defying gender norms? Do you think this is true, and if so is it significant?

I think it's true to some degree.  I mean, much of society still dictate that guys and older girls and women are and should not be into cute, pastel animals and many today still abide by those unfortunate stereotypes.  But as to if it's significant or not, I don't think it is and if it is, then it's not the only thing that's significant about the fandom.  After all, what other fandom has something like "Love and Tolerate" as a common saying?

3) also, i'm assuming that brohoofing is like a high five?

More akin to a fist-bump, but yes.

Edited by Akari of Duskshire