Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hey There! new to the brony world- asking questions for a paper

amancia

Hi everyone,

My name is Leslie. I am currently writing a short paper for a Internet and New Media class (last year in college). I decided to concentrate on the concept of the active audience, and more specifically the idea of fandom. I'm interested in learning more about the Brony community because I like the notion of how it appears to challenge gender norms. And I'm all for people doing what makes them it happy-even if it doesn't fit societies conventional expectations.

I would so greatly appreciate if a few people could answer the following questions. Please feel free to leave any feedback. I want to emphasize that your answers are absolutely anonymous and will only be used for my final paper. This paper will only be read by my professor and will not be used for any other purposes. (you do not need to share your name or any other information you do not feel comfortable with).

and if you're curious,  a few things about myself:

Today is my birthday :)

I currently live in New York

My favorite YouTuber is Gigi Gorgeous

When I'm not busy with school work, I like to do yoga, paint, go to museums...that kinda stuff.

thank you, thank you!

1. How old are you? When did you first discover My Little Pony and what did you initially think?

2. The words like friendship, loyalty and honesty seem to come up often when describing the show. Do you think these values are important to the Brony community?

3. What do you like about identifying as a Brony or being active in the Brony community? Is there anything you dislike about it?

4. How do you feel about the term "Brony"?

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

6. How many hours a week do you spend engaging in the Brony Community?

7. What  do you feel makes you a Brony?

8. Who is your most and least favorite character and why?

9. Lastly, is there an episode that I should absolutely watch?
Edited by amancia
  • Brohoof 9

1. How old are you? When did you first discover My Little Pony and what did you initially think?

20, I first discovered it when I heard there was a craze for it.

And I thought it was insane at first, it just seemed like such a girly thing.

And I didn't think Men were into girly things, so it was very mysterious.

2. The words like friendship, loyalty and honesty seem to come up often when describing the show. Do you think these values are important to the Brony community?

For me they do, the "Brony community" are really just kind and accepting people. Nothing wrong with being surrounded by kind, positive and helpful people. I honestly wish more people took these qualities to heart, it would make the world a less scary and vulgar place sometimes.

3. What do you like about identifying as a Brony or being active in the Brony community? Is there anything you dislike about it?

The people, the positive messages they show/give, the good vibes. It just feels so pure, clean and fresh, there is purity in the lives of the brony. People are always there for you when you're sad, hurt or had a bad day. People will always try to give you some good advice when dealing with a stressful problem, it's like a family, a big family.

I dislike nothing about the community, it's a great community with great people.

It's just a word, I think nothing of it.

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

I don't think it needs to be slandered about, it's just a interest. Everyone has hobbies, interests and things they like, so it's nothing that big. It's not like people are suffering because someone likes something that someone else doesn't like. If anything, we should be making a bigger deal about the natural disasters, wars and general broken down countries in the world..

A lot, I have a lot of friends here :)

And I love to help people out in bad times.

Plus welcome and make feel at home new comers like yourself.

7. What  do you feel makes you a Brony?

Not sure, I'm just a human who has good virtues.

I don't like to pick favorites, they all have great traits here and there.

9. Lastly, is there any episode that I should absolutely watch?

Watch them all, you'll find one you'll love.

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 1

I'm 19. I was 15 when I first discovered it and I first didn't like it but after a while I started to.

Pff.. nah. Only for some members but not the community as a whole.

I like watching the show and some people I talk to. I dislike the associations that Bronies and Anti-bronies give it and the anti-clop brigade that seeks to "improve" the Brony name by rejecting more than a good third of the fandom.

It's not bad, I guess.

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

Some of my friends know and family but otherwise I don't go out of my way to tell people about it.

Non-pony related, Probably upwards of 10. Pony-specific, maybe 1.

Enjoying the show.

I like Lyra the most and Pinkie Pie the least. The former is cute and the latter is just annoying..

The 100th episode

Happy birthday!
Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

I heard first time about mlp little under 2 years ago but I ''became'' Brony last summer.

Before ''becoming'' brony, I hated everything related to show.

Yes and no. Hard to say. There is those who thinks it's important and those who don't.

Community itself.  

Nothing that would be only in brony community.

I think it's good term.

I can relate since I live in area where you hear it lot if you are different.

I have told to two of my friends. One reacted neutrally but it's obvious that he doesn't like it. And other friend was also brony so he took it positively.

Yes, I was and I am still hesitant.

I use most of my free-time here in the forums. so  2h ->

I think that person is brony when he/she thinks so. You can be fan of the show without being brony. 

Most fav. are  Fluttershy and Marble pie.

I can relate to them in someways and they are just good characters in my opinion.

I don't choose least favorites.

9. Lastly, is there any episode that I should absolutely watch?

no. Watch them all. 

• Brohoof 1

1. I'm twenty-four, and was probably around nineteen or twenty when it first came to my attention. My first exposure to My Little Pony was when I saw it all over the internet. At first I thought it was a stupid idea and I, out of ignorance, avoided it. It was only when someone compelled me to take a closer look, at the age of twenty-three, that I became a fan.

2. To an exent. As with every community, there are all sorts of different people. While such values might be important to some, they might not be as important to others. I personally try to be loyal to my friends and honest, though by no means do I account for everyone in the fandom. I will, however, say that most people I have met have been very kind.

3. I like the fact that I can connect with others over something that's widely popular and enjoyed by many. I've been part of other communities before, but the brony community has a certain sense of belonging to it. If there's aught I dislike, it's that outsiders tend to assume that you're gay, autistic, or a "little girl in a man's body" if you enjoy the show. Of course, that's nothing to do with the fandom; just an external perception of it.

4. It's a funny term, but it works. Some might say that it excludes females, but I don't really think of it that way. "Brony" can include females just like saying "You guys" can be said to a group of people with varying genders; it's not really something worth getting worked up about.

5. I'd like to tell others, but most people in my family, aside from my mother, tend to be very cynical. There was one incident where my sister was wearing cyan-coloured fingernail polish and without thinking I said: "Cool, Rainbow Dash coloured!" and she asked what Rainbow Dash was. I was sort of expecting some sort of acceptance from her since she used to be into MLP back when she was a kid and a teen, but with hostile inflection she replied: "What, are you a brony?". I was uncertain how to answer, as different people have different definitions of what a brony is. Before I could, mum asked what a brony is, and my sister told her "A brony is a person who masturbates to ponies.". I have not told anyone else since, though sometimes I wish I could be open about it.

6. Most of the time I check the forums every day, but that doesn't take up much more than a few minutes. If this includes fanfictions, I can spend several hours a day reading a fanfiction if I like it enough.

7. My love of the show, its characters, and the universe its set in. Also, in an extension of that, the amount of fanfictions that I end up reading.

8. My personal favourite has to be Twilight Sparkle since she's the most like me; reclusive, likes having friends but also prefers a lot of alone time, and she enjoys books. My least favourite has to be Rarity; there are times when she just comes off as a little too much. However, I love all of the ponies, so while Rarity might be my least favourite, I certainly don't hate her; I like her a lot.

9. While there are some duds in the series, I'd recommend absolutely all of them. While I feel like Amending Fences is probably the best and most emotional of all the episodes, it won't make sense or have as much of an emotional impact if you haven't involved yourself with the entire series. However, it may resonate with you anyways if you've ever lost a friend.

• Brohoof 1

Im 21, i first discovered My Little Pony on Wikipedia, after i searched for a Media Franchise to collect, that isnt to expensive like Anime. I looked at a Dvd Cover from the Series My Little Pony Tales and thought it was very cute and good drawn.

I was afraid that people would find it strange that i watch My Little Pony, but since i dont talk to people anyway, i didnt care and did just go for it.

Um...well...um...im not talking to much to People but from what ive seen i would say, many Users here are very very friendly and the Brony Community seems to really care about giving new Members a welcoming feeling.

I mean i got lots of Friends of here, despite the Fact that i normally barely talk at all, so Friendship is really important here i think.

Loyalty? I have no Idea...i mean i personally am Loyal to the Admins and Mods here, by not breaking any rules...if that counts. 

And Honesty? I think that everyone is honest here...but i dont really know.

I like, that this Community is very welcoming and Friendly and that you can almost watch everything here, without being looked at...or laughed at XD

People answer my Status Updates, it just feels more like an Community than in other Forums, where i just kinda disappear after a while.

This is the only Forum im still active on for long times.

No other Community could do that.

I specially like it, that i can have cute Avatars.^^

And no, there isnt really anything i dislike here..nothing at all.

Okay, maybe the older Cartoon hate...but whatever XD

Friendly, open minded, nice...yeah. And a Fan of Mlp of course XD

I didnt really found the need to tell everyone really...except on Facebook once and you wanna know how many reacted negative? 1.

1 Person just commented : " ... "

Everyone else either liked my Comment or didnt reacted at all.

My Mother found the Cartoons cute and my Father simply asked me, if i would really wanted to watch that, i said yes, because i cant just watch Horror Movies for the last of my Life, he agreed, we both laughed, the Topic was never mentioned again and now it seems, that everyone has forgotten it.

So, for me personally...i dont know.

Nothing changed at all.

Every free Hour, like 8-9 Hours a Day maybe?

But by me its very easy, since i have nothing else to do, either way.

Watching My Little Pony. Being a nice Person should be considered a Standard for every Fandom.

I found Pinkie Pie to be annoying. Very annoying. Specially because of her Voice and that she constantly makes nonsense.

Favorite one would be Twilight Sparkle. She is the Leader, is smart, is powerful and is the most normal one from them all.

I personally enjoyed the Pilot Episode very much.

Other than that, i dont really watch that much Mlp.

Maybe the Episode Twilights Kingdom? It has a good fight in it, which is surprising for a Kids Show for mostly younger Girls.

Just like the original Pilot had, Fireflys Adventure, years back, which i also found very good.

Okay it didnt had that much of a Fight, but an overall Darker Atmosphere and a cool Villain. 

I am presently 18 years old. I first discovered <<My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic>> back in late 2011, I was around 13-14 years old that year. When I discovered the show, it was via Internet. The internet started to be overflowing with ponies, mlp memes, quotes on youtube, fan arts, users, etc. They were everywhere. I first thought it was pretty weird, but funny to see such a phenomenon. It seriously made me curious after a week or two, so I decided to make some research on WHY this show was so popular toward teenagers and adults in all of a sudden. I decided to watch the first episodes of season 1, and see where it leads, I really wanted to understand what was so good and successful in this show. And now, here I am, waiting for season 6, haha.

There was a moto back then in 2011-2012, that the brony community used a lot. It was ''love and tolerate''. It was taken very seriously back then, as a precious value. But it died out rather quickly in late 2013, not be used anymore by the majority of the community, it became a forgotten memory. There is some hypocrisy in this fandom somehow, and other bad behaviors coming from the community. However, these are a minority, a huge part of the fandom is composed of lots of good, fun, gentle, helpful and cool people and fans. There have been an uncountable number of new friendships created between fans. A lot of people didn't have many great friends, or having none before coming into the fandom. But since MLP:FIM started airing, lots of people in the fandom made new friends, had the chance to meet and know other people with the same interests, and even met their new best friends! 

Friendship is magic they say, and it's true. MLP is like a huge bridge, permitting people accross the world to meet others in a very friendly way. It's great, really.

It's pretty much the first time I feel being part of something big really. Nothing else made me feel that way. As for being active in the community, I'm just a spectator of the show, and I occasionally watch the community's videos, fanfics, listen to bronies music talent, and participate on this forum. I had so much great fun and I still am so far today.

...meh. Nothing much, really. It's pretty much the same for other fandoms as well, like whovians, potterheads etc. There's names for every fandom. So I don't feel anything wrong about it really.

I felt the need to come out of the closet at some point, because sooner or later, my friends and my parents would discover about it sooner or later. It was already hard enough to keep MLP for myself and not being able to express my passion for this show. My friends were seriously weirded out, but laughed it off at the end and didn't care much about it, which is good. My brother was a brony with me back then, we shared our pony interests together and had fun with the community, until he started to lose interest in it and left the fandom, but it's okay. People come and go every now and then.

As for my parents, I had to explain them the whole thing, it was quite an obnoxious moment in a certain way. They still had the idea of ''ponies are for girls'' mentality, until I showed them the whole opposite with the fandom and the show's success. They (luckily) became okay with it, and didn't make a big deal of it at all. Whew.

It was a struggle, but I'm glad that it worked out at the end.

I spend my free time in a huge mixed bowl. I do a little bit of everything. But I'm still active enough in the fandom. I would say at least 10 hours a week if I'm not very busy. If I get busy with school projects and what not, 6 hours.

Being part of this huge, very unexpected phenomenon when it started. This fandom is so joyful and happy. I thank god and the universe to have made me stumble on this treasure that is MLP:FIM.

Favorite: Princess Luna. There is so much mysterious things about her that I want to know. Unfortunately she doesn't get enough episodes. She still has a very interesting character tho.

Least favorite: Before the Season 5 episode ''crusaders of the lost mark'', it was with doubt Diamond Tiara. I HATE bullies.

Gosh, there is so much episodes that I loved. If I had to name one of them, it would be ''Pinkie Pride'' from Season 4. It's one of my favorites.

Edited by Tonyan

1. I am 16 years old. I discovered the show online, by stumbling across memes and videos about it when I was 12. I thought it would be horrible.

2. Absolutely. They should be valuable to everyone.

3. It helps me feel like I belong, and eases me out of my shell. Nope.

4. I like it. It's disappointing that a lot of people interpret it as derogatory, but I don't really care.

5. Yes. I couldn't keep it to myself, so I showed my older brother. He in turn told my parents as a way to torment me. My brother secretly liked the show as well. My parents were very disapproving of it, but my mom has since grown accustomed to it.

6. Roughly 14 hours.

7. Simply wanting to identify as one. There are fans who interact with the fandom that don't want to be labeled as Bronies. There aren't any real requirements.

8. My favorite character is Rainbow Dash. She got me interested in the show because of her similarity to Sonic the Hedgehog. Applejack is my least favorite, simply because I find her character archetype to be unappealing.

9. I started with the Cutie Map, and showed it first to my parents and brother. It is definitely my favorite. I would certainly recommend it.

-I'm 18

-I discovered it 3 years ago just a bit after the Season 2 finale

-I saw the all so famous "You're Going To Love Me!" scene and asked myself "What the fuck?" so yeah

-Most of us do, though not all of us saddly. No fandom is allowed to be perfect.

-It shows I break gender roles, plus it is really easy to make friends with other bronies

-Having to put up with ABBs bullshit is the only thing i hate about this fandom. That and the way some bronies respond to ABB, they're making us look bad

-Its a very corny term, but its who we are, and what we represent

-I'm sorta the "I don't give a damn of what you think of me" type of person. I had never hid the fact I like My Little Pony, and I have been praised by others more than I've been insulted cause of it (except on the Internet)

-When I was 15 and 16 I spent little to no time with the community, I found MLPF a few days after turning 17 and I spent God knows how many hours with the community, I'd be online all the time. Now a days I spend time on two different forums, but even so I spend less than 3/4ths of the time I use to.

-Being a fan of the show, but mostly watching the show

-My favorites have alternated greatly, now its Marble Pie because she is shyer than Fluttershy, but not cowardly like her. Least favorite has always been Rainbow Dash, her ego is way too damn high. Starlight also falls close, but i think she has potential to get off that list

-Yes, the pilot episode. After that watch them all in order

No more questions? Well good luck with your paper

I'm 24 years old, and I found MLP during it's first season of Friendship is Magic. My initial thoughts were pretty relative to how others generally thought. "Why am I watching this, and more importantly, why am I enjoying this?" I found that the message the show delivered was a large reason why people had watched the show in the first place, and I too, had progressively gotten dragged into the show and fandom as a whole.

I don't believe these are at all important to the community. Now, hear me out because I understand most people would crucify me at the stake for this, but my reasoning behind this is sound. When looking at the community, there isn't a lot of friendship outside of a lot of social circles created. My main example is pages on Facebook. Marked as RP pages, they'll consistently ignore other pony pages to RP with only established pages. I can give prime examples if you wish, and I've got plenty. However, social circles within the fandom hurt the fandom. Not only that, but locations you see ripping on bronies are another reason Friendship isn't a largely important value. More often than not have I seen Bronies lash out at these sources, and come out with nothing more than tarnishing the community name.

I like identifying as a brony for a few reasons. You meet a lot of great people, and you always have an interesting conversation topic with ignorant people that believe the show to be exceptionally childish (as it is a show aimed at a much younger audience than what has been the main demographic watching it). I dislike the hate-mongering not only attracted by the community, and put out by the community. It's everywhere, and it doesn't show how great the community is, or could potentially be.

The term Brony can not only be demeaning, but also semi-informative. Using the term to describe yourself as a fan of the show often brings ridicule and ignorance from any other party, but I also believe in some people, it also brings a genuine interest as to why you like the show. It's informative in many regards, because how you react to the reaction of people when you say you're a Brony is what shows people what kind of person you most likely are in the community.

I've never felt the need to "come out" as a Brony, because it's nothing to be ashamed of. I told family and friends when they asked why I was posting pony on Facebook, but it was always meant with positive comments. Of course, there was some negativity from people, but that is to be expected when you enjoy the show.

I tend to engage with the community off and on as much as I feel is genuinely necessary. It can be complicated to do so at times, but I also have a life I have to juggle, and the community is still a large part of my life.

My genuine love of the show. There should be nothing that makes a person identify as a Brony outside of the love of the show. If you love the fandom too, great. If you're a creator within the fandom, great. I just believe the term to be used as someone who genuinely loves the show regardless of anything outside of loving the show. After all, that is why the term was coined.

For the Mane 6, I quite enjoy Rarity. Elegance and class, as well as a wonderful heir of creativity. She's definitely (to quote the song) somepony everypony should know. For background characters though, I've got 2. Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. Not only are they my favorite ship, but I love music. Octavia being more of a classical musician, which I have an immense love of, and Vinyl being of a more futuristic, electronic musician, which I quite enjoy.

:Least favorite? Discord. I cannot stand the rudimentary lack of comedic entertainment associated with him. Yes, he can be funny, and he is what his name suggests, but I simply do not like his form of humor. He's much more of an annoyance to me than he is a needed character.

There isn't a single episode you shouldn't watch. All of the episodes hold a certain merit of why you should watch them, and in my right mind, I cannot rightly choose just a single episode. Sit down and make a marathon of each season. You won't regret it.

I am 24. I probably discovered MLP back in 2012, when I started noticing alot of people having MLP related avatars, and making MLP references. I initially thought all the MLP stuff was some kind of joke or meme that was spreading around the internet, and I didn't really care.

I do think that these values are important to the community. While there are of course exceptions, as a whole the Brony community has been the kindest, most friendly group of people I have ever encountered on the internet.

I like being a part of the Brony community, because it has allowed me to meet many nice people who I have alot in common with. It has also exposed me to a whole world of amazing fan created music, art, writing, animation, etc. 

The only thing I have ever disliked about being a Brony, was that I was initially paranoid that people would hate me if they ever found out I was a Brony. Fortunately I got over that, and it isn't really an issue anymore

Its just a convenient word I can use to describe myself, and have people know what I am talking about. Overall I don't find the term itself to be important to me.

I don't have any very exciting coming out stories to tell about it. While I wanted to tell other people that was a Brony, I was initially scared to do so. Inevitably people found out, and everyone reacted either positively or neutrally.

Its hard to say since I don't really keep track, but I am constantly either watching MLP related vids, listening to fan music, and lurking here on the forums.

The fact that I watch the show, and participate in the community.

My favorite character is a tie between Fluttershy and Rarity.

Fluttershy simply because she is the most relatable to me. Many of the struggles that she goes through in the show I have gone through myself, and seeing her succeed and overcome these struggles makes me happy, and can even be inspiring to me. 

Rarity is my other choice because I find her to be the most interesting character in the show. Rarity starts with a character archetype that in any other show would probably be portrayed in a negative light, and MLP twists that around to show how some of these traits can be positive too. Instead of being selfish and just buying lots of clothes and accessories for herself, she is an artist. Rarity's love of fashion comes from her desire to create, and make the world around her more beautiful.

My least favorite character would probably be Applejack. My reason for this is not that she is a bad or unlikable character, simply that she is not as interesting to watch for me personally.

While there are some episodes that I would consider to be must watch episodes, most of them wouldn't have nearly the impact and meaning if you watched them without watching the others that came before it.  MLP is a journey, and all parts of the journey are equally important.

• Brohoof 1

1. I'm 16. I don't remember when I got into the show. I think it was somewhere between the end of season 4 and Rainbow Rocks.

2. Not really. A lot of bronies I've met are douchebags. Myself included.

3. I like some of the people in the brony community. And I dislike all of the drama.

4. I dislike it. Mainly because I pronunce it like a mixture of the Swedish words bror and ponny.

5. Nah, I don't have the need to tell the world what cartoons I like.

6. I have no idea. If I had to guess I would say a lot.

7. The fact that I like the show.

8. My favourite character is Pinkie. I don't know why but that's the way it is.

My least favourite character is Derpy. Mostly because of all the drama that happened because of her.

9. The first one.

I am currently 20 years old.. I was curious about the whole My Little Pony and Brony thing for many years on the internet, it was only when i met my friend (who was a brony) did I become less inclined to ignore it.. So I ended up copying the episode he had incase I, and I quote.. "If I ever get THAT bored" ... Then about 2 months later, something happened and I was confused about who I was, to take my mind off it I wanted to watch something that'd make me happy, and I saw MLP on my hard drive and I thought "*sigh* May as well watch it, to at least see what the fuss is about.." and so I watched, I must admit I had some laughs at the show through the first few episodes.. but then I grew to love it :) The characters, the story, the world.. everything :D

Honestly? This depends on the person.. Yes, we may be shown these.. "aspects" in the show.. but not everyone follows or has those traits.. Though I found a large collection of bronies here are kind and understanding.. and often have these traits.. The point is, It differs on the person, regardless of it they are a brony or not.. but bronies are more inclined to follow these trai

I love being active in this community, it's a place filled with many others who love the show like I do, and It's the friendliest community I've even been on :D There aren't many things I dislike about it.. Come to think of it.. I can't really think of one :huh: and I'm quite the overthinker and I can easily identify flaws.. I mean.. I can identify a few flaws with some missing features of MLP forums in particular.. Like the lack of IM or repetative down times.. but your question asks about the community as a whole, and that includes pretty much other brony sites..

The way I see the term "Brony" is this:

A brony is refered to a male who is a fan of My Little Pony, be that just the show, comics, franchise or all.. There are many types of bronies in the fandom, including some groups who are targets for teasing bronies as a whole due to their certain.. "Interests" ... Regardless of seperate groups, we all are friendly towards eachother because we all share the common love for the show and most things MLP related ^-^

But each brony may see the word "Brony" in a different way that I do.. It's a matter of opinion really..

The same can be said for the word "Furry" too i guess.. :/ Some consider it this and some consider it that..

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

Personally I have only told my friends, I still have not told my family, in fear that they may treat me differently than they do now.. Or they might suspect that I'm gay or something, even though I am Heterosexual.. The point is, people are hesitant to expose themselves to situations that cause embarrassment or shame.. and that fear of that causes a lot of us to be quiet about it.. but a number of us are open about it..

Hehe, too many :lol: But on average I would say on average: 3-4 hours a day? ... so that's like.. 24 hours a week? WOW! A whole day of pony stuff :wau:  Haha xD

7. What do you feel makes you a Brony?

The fact that I love the show and every aspect of My Little Pony..

I personally don't really have any 1 least of favorite character.. I sorta categorize ponies in groups.. Like top 5.. There is no best out of my top 5.. but are still my favorites :P

Anyway.. Some of my favorites include: Luna, Maud, Pinkie Pie, Derpy, Dr. Hooves and Rainbow Dash.. and recently, Coloratura.. Because I like their character and the back stories of some.. Sometimes to the point where you can get emotionally attached to a character.. and feel sad about things that happened to them.. Like in the "The princesses dream of rainbow sheep" (which has a weird title) episode, Luna confessed to creating the Tantibus to punish herself for the evil she caused as nightmare moon, because she felt so guilty.. and this made me sad to know that she went through all that, even though she is a fictional character.. It's amazing how attached you can be though..

Oh yeah, least favorites.. Hmm.. some of my least favorites include: Hmm.. hard to think of some I don't like off the top of my head.. Uhhh.. Diamond dogs,

You can't just watch 1 single episode :lol: As some focus on certain characters.. some of which you like more, and others which you like less.. Some have great plot and and awesome storyline.. but others don't.. There are some episodes which seem bland to us.. but a portion of us still enjoy it ^-^

If I were to list some of my personal favorite episodes though, it would be: "Maud Pie", "It's about time", "Do princesses dream of rainbow sheep", "Power ponies", "The one where Pinkie Pie knows", and "Hearth breakers" Just to name a few xD I could go on but there are too many of my favorites to list :P

Edited by AURAequine

I knew I wasn't the only one who's thought of doing essays on Bronies before :P

Word spam Spoiler'd below.

Nineteen years old  as I write this, but I grew up with two little sisters who watched the older shows (G3 I think). It was simply another cartoon, with choppy animations that screamed 80’s animations at you, so I didn’t pay much attention.

This fandom has made me meet so many new friends, so friendship is a definite value. Loyalty and honesty are hard traits to display, but many people stick by their friends in this community, so I’ve seen, and are always there to help others in need (such as our fandom artists that fall on hard times).

Brony instantly adds +15 to your friendliness score :P

Seriously though, I’ve never met friendlier people than any brony hangout, especially these forums. The only thing I dislike is the narrow-mind haters, who all think being a brony makes somebody a multitude of things I'm sure I don't need to name here. We can do with more rational arguments against hating us, not... whatever arguments those people are using.

It’s a name of a type of person, a label. It’s like saying you’re an engineer, a brunette, or saggipotent. It’s just a label that people use to describe you, nothing more.

Honestly, I just slowly started to ponify things after my girlfriend got me into the fandom. So it was a slow progression as my family started seeing more and more ponies around me, in my room, and the like. They never had an issue with it either, aside from the “is he right in the head?” looks, which they give me anyways.

If I have access to the internet, I’m on this forum. No exceptions. I literally live on this community, I suppose.

7. What do you feel makes you a Brony?

Watching MLP, of course, and a desire to do more than just watch the show. If you make something creative with inspiration from the show, and share it with others that enjoy it, you’re a Brony. If you are actively talking about the show with others, then you’re automatically one too.

Most favorite ~ Trixie Lulamoon

She’s an antagonist for only two episodes, but her character just speaks to me so much. Her showmanship speaks a lot to my kind of work I’d love to be into (re-enacting, which does require some theatric effects), and seeing how pride made her boast spoke of a few issues I have myself, so her episodes really helped me look at myself, and change for the better (or at least I think so).

Least favorite ~ *High-Class Ponies*

Ignoring all the characters that we’re kind of meant to hate (they’re made to be jerks, bullies, or villains with no remorse) and minor characters with only a few appearances, I’d have to say any of the upper class pony types (Hoity Toity, Jet Set, Prim Hemline, etc.) just kind of get on my nerves. It could be they’re all portrayed to be a bit insensitive and naive, but they end up all being shallow characters in my book. The only one I think can somewhat escape that trope is Fancy Pants, due to a few more appearances than is usual for his type of character.

If you’ve never watched the show before, I think Look Before You Sleep is a fair choice. You learn the characters pretty quickly there, aside from maybe Twi, but she’s a quick character read too.

If you’ve watched the show before, and know the characters a bit, then Luna Eclipsed works as a personal favorite, for dealing with outward appearances being deceptive and a generally good Halloween episode.

Edited by Sekr Gray

I am 29,I first discovered it in the G1 era of MLP in the 1990's when my little pony tales was on the air and i loved it.

not any more so than any other group

I do not activly identify as a brony because it is a needless title in my opinion,i am a fan of the show

I think it just complicates the fact that boys watch the show , a boy is just a fan like a girl is a fan, we don't need a special word to describe who we are in my opinion,and saying the word "brony" tends to confuse people who don't know what it means or insite negative backlash from people who have had bad experiances from trolls before who pretend to be or actually are bronies, it just sounds weird to say and explain to people what it is

mostly negative, again the word brony in my opinion is more likely to be met with negativity than simply just being a fan of the show

8?

I like the show

twilight is my fav because she is alot like me, and mayor mare is my least favorite because she is LOL

episode 100 for sure

I'm 20 years old. I first heard about it around the internet, like on fourms and people talking online,and from my friends at school.

A lot of people say that teens/adults were watching a show for 'little girls', I believe that when people hear that they think of

a really REALLY girly childish show. Like a mindless show with tea parties and super girly dresses and the such. I did get around to

watching 2 seasons (Before the season 2 finale came out). I thought 'meh, its alright' and never really much thought into it after that.

Wasnt long after that I did remember it and went back to watch the season 2 finale and discovered there was a pretty large fanbase with it.

I think these values like Kindess, Loyalty, Honesty, etc. are values not only important to the brony community itself, but for everyone. Everyone should have these

values in their friends and within themself.

The things I like within the community are the really fantastic and creative bronies. Amazing Artwork, Music and even writing Fanfiction

(Which believe it or not, it isnt mindless shipping...most of the time). The one thing I don't like about being apart of the coummunity? The stigma. A lot of people outside the fandom believe

a lot of things about Bronies. Some...absolutely disgusting. But this isn't the first time something like this happened to a group. There are always opposing ideals to every group, idea, people

and so on. Sometimes it can be constructive criticism, but most of the time it is just mocking or teasing.

Nothing much, just a silly name really.

5.  In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends.

In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people

about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

I have no need to go tell everybody within ear shot that I like My Little Pony: FiM. I do not see the point on why people want to. It's just a television show. Not like they are

coming out of the closet.

I actually spend little time engaging with the Brony Community. Mostly due to school work, social life, or just playing video games and such things.

Just injoy watching the show and being (somewhat) involved in the community

My favorite character has to be Pinkie Pie. Mostly because shes really funny. Everything about her just screams "Absolute sillyness, fun and smiles".

I was 26 when I first discovered the show. I think my initial thoughts were that I couldn't possibly like something I previously berated a couple people on the Internet for liking, but that I would probably keep that to myself. I think friendship, loyalty and honesty are values that people should strive for regardless, and they probably would have still been important to me as I'm also a Christian. I get the sense that they are important to this community, in addition to laughter, kindness and especially generosity (see our Making Christmas Merrier drive for an example), which is part of why I wanted to be a part of it. Of course, it varies from person to person and I think some people probably exhibit certain values better than others, but we're only human, and the show itself even assigns different "elements" to different characters. I like to think that this community at least tries to emulate those elements to the best of our ability.

I like that this community is welcoming and non-judgmental. Even disagreements among fans, which do happen from time to time, have been low-key and respectful from what I've observed, in comparison to what I've observed in other fandoms. You don't need to go far to see how gamers handle disputes. Civil isn't exactly the word I would use for that, especially if there is no moderation present. I guess one criticism of the fandom is that in spite of having grand utopian ideas about how the world should work as opposed to how it does currently, we aren't known for actually trying to change it in any large scale way, but then again I'm the same way. I'm fairly anti-neoliberal but don't think activism is my calling, so my plan is to just knuckle under the system in the most comfortable and least constraining way I can.

Brony to me is just a title. I guess it gives me a label to identify with, though it's as good as any. I guess I'm neutral on it. I have told most people I know that I'm a Brony but I haven't told my family. I guess if they found out I'd probably be ok with that. I'm kind of enjoying being a closet fan and finding creative ways to hide my merch. I guess that will have to end at some point as I'm running out of secret space in my closet. Yeah, it's kind of fitting that as a closet fan, my primary hiding place for my pony stuff is in my closet.

I guess I spend on average about an hour here a day, though it's not concurrent so I'd be hard pressed to come up with an accurate figure. I watch the show, read the comics, just started reading the novels, and I post in and even moderate a Brony forum, and have attended BronyCAN for the last couple years with plans to do so again this year. I think I qualify as a Brony. Oh, I also went to the trouble of signing up for an Amazon Japan account to get the Japan exclusive manga. I think I have more than completed my rite of passage.

I'm between Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity for my favourite character, because I don't think the show would be the same without the random one, the cute/shy one and the elegant one/drama queen. Between the three of them, they've all had some great character moments over the past five seasons and spinoff media. I guess it's also fitting that my top three includes an Earth Pony, Pegasus and Unicorn, and no, I don't think I could choose between them. My least favourite was Diamond Tiara, not because she was a bully but because she was almost a 100% flawless embodiment of the female bully trope with little that set her apart, next to characters who are more than just their tropes. Now that she's gotten some development I may have to choose a new least favourite. Cadance is kind of boring, but maybe I'll just go with Silver Spoon now, because she hasn't been developed yet and is really just the friend of the female bully trope; a trope in and of itself.

There are so many great episodes that I like for different reasons. If you want something classic, I'm quite fond of It's About Time (Season 2 episode 20). If you want something modern, the season 5 finale entitled The Cutie Re-Mark is just too awesome not to see.

• Brohoof 1

@@amancia

I am 24, I "first" discovered My Little Pony as a young child when I watched Escape from Midnight Castle and one other special who's title now escapes me. I liked it at the time and while I never developed the same visceral hatred for the same franchise that some did, I think mostly owed to my love of Pokemon and the Powerpuff Girls, it did sort of fall out of my favor over time. If one is asking about Friendship is Magic specifically, well I discovered that in military school.

Yeah, not joking. I joined Valley Forge Military college and it is at that time and place that I first discovered the show and fandom. Long story short, what I thought was a bastion of honor for the youth turned out to be nothing more than a veneer of ideal plastered over a place for bad parents to dump the troubled kids they didn't want to deal with anymore. I needed something positive, beautiful, idealistic, and uplifting in my life at that time; and I found it.

Oh absolutely. The same way "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is a central ethos to Trekkies and any one of the Doctor's big speeches about the power of humanity in the universe are to Whovians. 

Those three specifically are three of the Elements of Harmony, the first big central magical mcguffin we are introduced to in the show. (The others being generosity, kindness, and laughter.) Because they are introduced to us as the audience so early in the run, they are continually reinforced by both the show and fandom. They become ingrained in our minds and when interacting with one another on the grounds of this commonality, it only makes sense such virtues would become important to the community as a whole.

Well for one I've never been involved in a larger fandom before in my life to such an active degree. So that social component that I willfully deprive myself of as an introvert was a nice breath of fresh air. Even now years later, I KNOW whenever I have a problem, be it technical, interpersonal, spiritual, artistic, or what have you, I can always go on a brony site and find an overwhelming amount of people willing to help.

If I were to find some dislike it would be, fittingly, the dislike. I despise it when I see other bronies tearing down the fandom. This show and fandom has been an unbelievably powerful and powerful transformative force for so many myself included. I feel a deep sense of patriotism toward it and just like my sense of national patriotism, I would be on the side of my fandom if it's attacked at large verbally, from without and within.

I wear it like a badge of honor. To me it means one who loves a good and positive show and at least tries to be a better person or has become one because of it.

Well for me, I was relatively unabashed about it. I didn't have a big coming out moment it was more just an off hand question I answered matter of factly. My Mother loved it because it meant more social connections I previously did not have. My Dad saw it as no different than Pokemon, just another sci-fi fantasy thing I was into. The ones that took it the "hardest" were my younger brothers.

Blase, the youngest, sort of became a brony in his own right. I say sort of because watching the show and listening to fan music is something we did together. It was the odd thing that bridged the generational gap and we both liked, which was a rarity (hehe) between us when compared to Luke and I. Who had the exact opposite reaction. Luke responded to my love of the show with a great amount of hostility. Not that he was abusive toward me but he reacted as if I was joining a cult, with despair and anger. In fact I'm pretty sure that's what he saw the fandom as in his mind. We worked it out eventually but for the longest time it was the first major thing that we truly had trouble getting past in our relationship as brothers.

I'm terrible at estimates but let's just say, the amount of time the average person spends on facebook, twitter, or social media? That's me and this site or EQD.

My love of the show and the community.

Most favorite:

-Of the Mane Six: Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

Rarity because she's one of the most unconventional female role models whilst appearing to be the exact opposite of one. Hasbro said they needed one of the ponies to be into fashion so they could sell the different costumes in the toyline. Lauren Faust, God bless her, took that and instead of making her a shopaholic, she made her an artist . . . who's medium just happened to be clothes.

Rarity is an independent business owner, how many times do you see that as a protagonist and not supporting character on a kid's show? She's hardworking, creative, ambitious, and most of all classy. She's a direct rebuttal to a notion my mother said she found depressing in modern young girls and parenting. That mothers weren't teaching their daughters to be kind, just "tough." (e.g. mean to others to get what they want.) Rarity very much embraces her femininity but she sees it as strength. She represents that a young girl and one day a woman, can still be very much a classy, sophisticated, and charming person while still being capable of handling herself in a tough world.

So in other words, Rarity is a role model. If not for me, even though she has been at times, one I can respect as a good role model for others.

Pinkie is less a role model for me and more someone I can empathize with. Which might seem odd because I'm an introvert who can't take a joke while she's as extraverted as she comes and has a sense of humor about everything. What I relate to in Pinkie though is a sense of ceaseless, unrelenting optimism. That, I got in spades.

No matter the situation, Pinkie is always looking for the bright side. She always believes it will work out in the end. She always believes there is something one can do and that everyone deserves attention and praise.

So while we may differ in manner, in belief, Pinkie is the one I identify most strongly with.

Outside of the Mane Six (yes I'm indecisive, sue me!): Fancypants. Flying straight in the face of yet another cliche is this gentleman. After years of seeing all upper class rich characters that weren't one manner of goofy or crazy portrayed as evil, bar none, I was both shocked and delighted to see that Fancypants is exactly what he appears to be; a good pony who just happens to also be wealthy Canterlot big player. He's very much a kind of ideal for manhood for me, he's polite, chivalrous, open minded, cultured, and his more inclusive opinion is actually heeded by his more narrow minded peers.

Celestia, yes the bold is deserved because without her I would not have given the show the time of day.

Get it? Time of day?  :please:  . . . . Right, anyway. Princess Celestia's place in the legitimate cosmology of Equestria leant itself to my interest almost from the first sentence of the pilot. Her raising of the sun, centuries long life, and battle with her sister put me more in the mind that this show was going to be less like a coloring book and more like a greek myth.

I love Celestia because she is at once, one of the most powerful characters on the show but also one of the most benevolent. Like Fancypants, there's no deception to who she is. Princess Celestia is simply a benevolent immortal ruler who wishes only that her people are safe and happy. There is some other reasons I like her that are a bit more personal than even what I've mentioned up to this point, namely that her broad wings, tall figure, and alabaster white coat seem to bring an angel to mind but the point is Celestia's mere presence is one of my favorite things about the show even when she's not on screen.

I would suggest "Dragonshy." Divorced from the pilot two parter, which I would otherwise recommend, "Dragonshy's" a good sort of roadmap for the series as a whole, all of the Mane Six are on display and it's an adventure episode.

Edited by Steel Accord

Currently 20 years old but I discovered it when I was 16. A friend showed me Party of One and I didn't like it mostly because the show was made to appeal to very young girls. When season 2 started, another friend showed me Luna Eclipsed and I surprisingly liked it. I began watching the show shortly after that. 

It certainly is given what I've noticed in and around the fandom. Charities and conventions are a thing and even watching some footage from conventions shows it front and center.

Like: Meeting other fans with similar interests and seeing the kind of things they make out of the show including music, fan art, and fan fiction. Being active in the fandom, to me, means I get to be part of something more than just the show. 
Dislike: Run-ins with the louder and more obnoxious fans that give the fandom a bad reputation but it's normal for any fandom so I tend to not think about this too much.  

A title that fans are free to identify with or not. 

For a while, I thought about telling my family about it but my mom and brother stumbled upon me watching a couple of episodes. My brother didn't think too much about it and my mom still playfully teases me every now and again but I don't think telling others about being a brony is a need. Sure, I'd tell someone if they brought it up in a conversation but I'd keep quiet about it. I mostly got confused looks and more questions about the fandom when people ask so curiosity is what I normally see from my own experience 

About 1-2 hours, maybe more if I have nothing important to do 

Being a fan of the show for the most part. Any active engagement with the fandom is more or less going an extra mile.

Most: Twilight Sparkle because her bookish nature was appealing when I got into the show and while she is the princess of friendship, the show proves that she still has a lot more to learn. The episode Amending Fences really drove that point with Twilight getting chewed out about how even she, a character who learned about friendship, and a princess no less, doesn't have a complete grasp on how her actions have affected others, especially about friendship. 
Least: Diamond Tiara mostly because she wasn't given much characterization other than being a bully and her change of heart felt rushed. It's still difficult for me to like her since she just befriended the cutie mark crusaders.

Amending Fences, Crusaders of the Lost Mark (a better musical episode than Magical Mystery Cure), or The Mane Attraction. The first two need some context in order to fully appreciate them but the last one doesn't since it's mostly Coloratura and Applejack's past and present interactions that are given the spotlight, which is already part of the episode. I guess it's better to watch all of the episodes before it since a lot of episodes, especially those starting with season 3's finale, begin incorporating events and details from the past seasons. 

Hi everyone,

My name is Leslie. I am currently writing a short paper for a Internet and New Media class (last year in college). I decided to concentrate on the concept of the active audience, and more specifically the idea of fandom. I'm interested in learning more about the Brony community because I like the notion of how it appears to challenge gender norms. And I'm all for people doing what makes them it happy-even if it doesn't fit societies conventional expectations.

I would so greatly appreciate if a few people could answer the following questions. Please feel free to leave any feedback. I want to emphasize that your answers are absolutely anonymous and will only be used for my final paper. This paper will only be read by my professor and will not be used for any other purposes. (you do not need to share your name or any other information you do not feel comfortable with).

and if you're curious, a few things about myself:

Today is my birthday :)

I currently live in New York

My favorite YouTuber is Gigi Gorgeous

When I'm not busy with school work, I like to do yoga, paint, go to museums...that kinda stuff.

thank you, thank you!

5. In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

1. 18, I started watching around 3-4 years ago. A show very well made with easy to understand yet deep messages.

2. Yes

3. Being a part of a very warm and unique community is a very pleasant experience. Stereotypes that are associated with us tend to be negative and are often a result of generalization or poorly backed up, not a major annoyance to me but perhaps to others.

4. It's a title, what associates with that title is subjective, but generally it is perceived as older male fans of the show.

5. I treated the show and its fandom as something that I can identify with, but around as much as my other passions. Generally Speaking, I would casually bring it up from time to time, but I would avoid shoving it in people's faces. I don't really feel obligated to tell other people about my status as a brony, and hence my casual approach. Some reacted positively while some did not.

6. Quite a bit, but still plenty of time on other things as well. If a specific time amount is really needed, around 1-2 hours each day.

7. I love the show and I love the community.

8. I do not specifically have a least favorite character, but if I really have to choose a favorite character, it would be Fluttershy. She is a very well designed character with a very beautiful personality. The same could go for a lot of other characters, so if you needed more reasons, I don't have any. I just really liked her when I first started watching the show and that was how it all began.

9. Most episodes are very well made, so I do not have a specific "must watch" in mind. I do suggest to start with the first two though, as they are what started it all.

Before I end this post, here is a little song

Happy Birthday, congratulations

Happy Birthday, with salutations

Happy Birthday, may your sky stay blue

Happy Birthday to you

Edited by Solid Scorpion

I'm 17, I'd known of Gen 3 MLP as my sister used to be into it, but found out about the current show from a friend at age 13, near the end of Season II. I can't remember what I initially thought of it, but I'm fairly sure it was reasonably positive.

Personally I think that these values are at least a little important for all people in general, not just Bronies. However, that said, I don't believe they're essential to the community, as much as they make for a nicer personality IMO.

Totally fine with ID'ing as a Brony most of the time; I probably wouldn't admit it casually though, only when directly asked. I enjoy being semi-active in the community because, as much as we may not be perfect, there's a lot of awesome people in the fandom and it's very enjoyable to see fan works and talk with fellow fans of the show. The only thing I dislike about the community is that we can be a bit spiteful sometimes, but then most fandoms are, so I wouldn't think of it as too much of a problem.

As much as it has negative connotations for many people outside the fandom, both on and off the internet, I'm totally fine with it.

Personally, I have no such tale. It sort of just leaked out over time to my parents, neither of which have any problem with it. Like I mentioned above, I normally won't tell people unless they specifically ask me, since a lot of the time it has no real effect on whatever I may be talking to them about.

A ridiculously large amount is all I can say there.

I enjoy the show, and love what the fandom can do with both its massive creative talent and just the general cheery attitude.

My I absolutely adore Lightning Dust, mainly because I like how she is effectively Rainbow Dash if she hadn't have met the rest of the Mane 6. That, and her loose ending in Wonderbolts Academy is a goldmine for fandom work. It's for that reason that, as much as I love her as a character, I kinda do and don't want her to return as a proper antagonist. It'd be awesome to see her again, but it'd also suck because it could tie up the loose end of what happened to her after the events of the episode, and drastically narrow what the fandom can do with her character.

As for least favourite, I can't really point to any one character but I have quite the personal and totally irrational dislike of Luna. Something about her just rubs me the wrong way.

With my aforementioned love for Lightning Dust, I can't recommend Wonderbolts Academy enough. It really does have a great element of contrast about it, showing us the difference the rest of the Mane 6 have had on Rainbow Dash and what she could have become without them.

Oh, and of course, happy birthday mate  :derp:

Edited by AC E1

- I'm 17 and I first discovered MLP, I only discovered it in July of this year, which makes me think i'm kinda late but better late then never I guess, I've known the brony fandom since I was 13 though and I didn't really care but I was introduced to MLP by a brony friend of mine and asked me to watch the first episode but I didn't really care and just went with it and watched the first episode and after that I asked him to see the next part and eventually I became a brony

-Yes, because I'm part of other fandoms and those words don't mean very much in the other fandoms i'm part of which are not as accepting as the brony fandom and that's why I like it

- I don't really know what I like about it, i'm shy to admit to being a brony as I don't like to be judged, and will only say if directly asked or someone saying something like "You sound like you're a brony" and I like to being an semi active member of the community and like things like the artwork and commenting on it on sites like Deviantart, I can't think of anything I really dislike.

4.  How do you feel about the term "Brony"?

- It was made by 4chan to refer to people posting ponies on the random board, despite negative opinions by some people outside the fandom, i'm fine with it on the internet but i'm shy to admit it off the internet unless it's a friend of mine or a family member unless that random person specifically asks if I am or mentions bronies.

5. In watching Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, a few Brony members appeared to have "coming out" stories to their family and friends. In other words, there seemed to be this moment of revealing their Brony Fandom to others. Can you relate to this? Did you ever feel like you needed to tell other people about identifying as a Brony. If so, please describe the experience. Where you hesitant? Did people react positively or negatively? Both?

- My parents found out I was a brony when they found a Fluttershy shirt in the mail and asked me what's with that. I told them what it was and about me being a brony and about the show and they were fine with apart from an occasional tease, my brother found out when he caught me watching an MLP episode and asked me if i'm a brony, I told him the complete truth knowing he wouldn't really care as he really wouldn't care no matter what I am also he had a brony friend too and he had no problem with him. All my friends know and none of them really cared, nothing really to say on that.

6.  How many hours a week do you spend engaging in the Brony Community?

- A lot but I couldn't really count.

7. What  do you feel makes you a Brony?

- I love the show, I participate in the fandom, and I comment on the artwork and post on the forums and love the fandom as a whole because of it's unique attitude and amount of creativity of the content it produces.

8. Who is your most and least favorite character and why?

- I love Fluttershy because of she's just heart warming to watch and I love her general attitude and probably the cutest of the mane six, and my favorite backround pony is Derpy, I can't really think of why I like her, I just do. Least favorite, I can't think of anyone, I can't really pick on anypony.

9. Lastly, is there an episode that I should absolutely watch?

- I would say "Sleepless in Ponyville" as I like the episode's structure and general feel.

Thx for reading!

Hello again!

I want to thank everyone so much for replying. Honestly, I wish I had more time do my paper justice. I think the whole concept of fandom and "bronyism" is interesting.

I have a few questions

1) what is ABB?- i believe that is a term someone used in criticism within the brony community?

2) a few answers touched on the idea that My Little Pony wasn't originally intended for males. Some where hesitant to view the show at first because of this, perhaps even to share their love for the show with others due to gender stereotypes. (although in general, it appears that most people have had an overall positive experience in this. please correct me if i'm wrong).

What are your opinions on how Bronies as a group that are defying gender norms? Do you think this is true, and if so is it significant?

3) also, i'm assuming that brohoofing is like a high five?

Hello again!

I want to thank everyone so much for replying. Honestly, I wish I had more time do my paper justice. I think the whole concept of fandom and "bronyism" is interesting.

I have a few questions

1) what is ABB?- i believe that is a term someone used in criticism within the brony community?

2) a few answers touched on the idea that My Little Pony wasn't originally intended for males. Some where hesitant to view the show at first because of this, perhaps even to share their love for the show with others due to gender stereotypes. (although in general, it appears that most people have had an overall positive experience in this. please correct me if i'm wrong).

What are your opinions on how Bronies as a group that are defying gender norms? Do you think this is true, and if so is it significant?

3) also, i'm assuming that brohoofing is like a high five?

I don't know what ABB stands for and brohoofing is more like a fist bump but I guess its the same thing (you know, with horses not having fingers and all)

As for defying gender stereotypes? I can't say for sure because it happens and people are recognizing it but all I see are people enjoying the show for what it is. So to me, there is some truth to it but it isn't a very significant one.