Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler A Timely Reflection [Short] [Complete]

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

Contains Season 5 finale spoilers. Turn away immediately if you don't want spoilers!

Synopsis: Princess Twilight talks to Starlight Glimmer about the implications of tampering with the lives of her own and that of her friends. How will it work out for the two of them?

A Timely Reflection

It seems like a beautiful day in Ponyville. The sky is bright, ponies walking about greeting each other as they go along. Those grouped together could be seen conversing. One can imagine everyone enoying this beautiful day without a care in the world as all appear to be smiling, going about their daily life, happy to be alive and thankful for all they have.
It was in recent memory when a bright flash emanated from the Castle of Friendship when the Starlight Glimmer’s time travel scroll became lost. Nopony seemed to notice that anything had happened other than Starlight’s apparently sudden change of heart. But speaking of the Castle of Friendship, Starlight Glimmer’s head could just be seen poking out from one of its many windows, looking over Ponyville.
Her mane waved gently with the wind rushing in from the outside. She seemed quite content with all that’s happened. After taking in the scenery, she gave a gentle sigh and began to trot inside the castle. As she moved at a leisurely pace, she beheld the interior design and décor. It’s nice since it’s not like she’s on a mission this time.
Seemingly out of nowhere, a voice struck her: “Oh, hey, Starlight.” It was Spike. She went ahead and greeted him in return:
   “Oh, hi, Spike. Been a busy little assistant as always?” she asked cheerfully.
   “There’s always something to do here with this place being so big. Although… lately it’s been a little slow, actually,” he told looking thoughtful but concerned.
   “Oh, is there something wrong, Spike? I would like to help with anything I can!” she let out gleefully, looking excited.
   “Actually, it’s not me who could use some help, it’s Twilight…” Spike appeared a little down as he said it and it got Starlight Glimmer worried as well.
   “Did something happen? Is Twilight alright?”
   “She’s just been… mopey lately,” he answered.
   “Oh, if that’s all, then I’m sure there’s nothing a friend can’t handle,” she let out enthusiastically. The way she voices her enthusiasm seems to be rubbing Spike the wrong way as he looked slightly creeped out by it.
   “Uh, Starlight? Have you been hanging out with Pinkie Pie?” he asked.
   “Gee, that was very good, Spike! I spent much of the day with her, in fact. How did you guess?” she asked, eager to know how Spike managed to figure that out.
   “Just a hunch, heh heh,” he let out awkwardly. “Anyway, Twilight’s on her throne at the cutie map where she’s been pretty much all day. Maybe she really could use somepony to talk to.”
   “Of course. May I go ahead?”
   “Yes, of course,” he answered. “Right this way, please,” he said before moving towards the entrance of the cutie map room.
   “Why thank you. You’re such a sweet little dragon,” she complemented as she followed him.
   “Shucks, Starlight, you’re welcome,” he answered, looking embarrassed.
They both stood in front of the door at the entrance of the cutie map room where Twilight is said to be. Spike knocked. “Twilight? It’s Spike.” 
   “Come in, Spike,” answered Twilight’s voice.
   “Starlight?” started Spike. “Can you wait right here a moment?”
   “Certainly,” answered starlight.
   “It’s Starlight?” whispered Twilight to Spike.
   “Um, yeah. What about it?”
   “I told what’s been getting me down lately. Did it have to be Starlight of all ponies?”
   “She just kinda happened to pass by in the hallway. But seriously, Twilight, I think we should give her a chance. Pretty sure she’s past the whole vengeance thing by now.”
   “I hope you’re right, Spike…” she whispered nervously. “I really hope this doesn’t open up old wounds or anything.”
   “I get it. But… maybe this would be a good time to clear things up some more,” he added.
   “Okay, Spike,” she answered. “You can let her in now,” she instructed.
Starlight appears to be waiting patiently in front of the door when Spike opened it, signaling her to come in. She chuckled awkwardly at how reminiscent it was of when she waited for the news of her fate after she surrendered to Twilight.
   “Hey, Twilight,” greeted Starlight. Twilight’s expression seemed very candid. Starlight appeared nervous as she can’t seem to know what this is all about but in remembering what Spike told her earlier, she continued on. “I heard that you haven’t been feeling yourself lately. Maybe we could go outside and get a little fresh air. It’s a beautiful day today. The weather is nice, the scent of fresh grass and flowers hanging in the air. The ponies in this town are really nice! If I may confess, this actually feels better than when I was in the village. Here it feels so… um… natural, I believe would be the word,” she explained, looking up in a pensative manner.
   Both Twilight and Spike had a look of subdued bewilderment towards Starlight. She continued on.
   “Sorry that I’ve been getting off-track,” apologized Starlight.
   “It’s okay,” responded Twilight before she sat down on the floor facing the cutie map and leaned on it. “Equestria is a very wonderful place, isn’t it?” she asked, looking onto the holographic projection with gloom.
   Starlight looked puzzled at Twilight and then looked over the cute map herself. “It is indeed,” she remarked but then suddenly she had a look of realization. “Ah, I think I see now. You’d like to go on vacation! A tour around any one of these many places would be sure to involve a lot of wonderful site seeing,” she said and smiled widely towards Twilight.
   “You know, a vacation would be pretty awesome now that you mention it,” said Spike.
   Twilight chuckled awkwardly before saying: “That’s not it…” she pauzed.
   “Oh… so then what is it?” Starlight asked, looking rather disappointed from her incorrect guess. It really made sense at the time.
   “It’s… about when we went back and forth in time… This is what makes it so awkward, really. There’s something about that experience that’s really… sobering.”
   “Sobering, you say?” repeated Starlight looking both puzzled and concerned. “What does that even mean? Have you been drunk, Twilight? Having a hangover?” she asked with confusion.
   Spike replied: “What’s a hangover?”
   “Urgh, no!” let out Twilight with annoyance. “Look, what I mean to say is that each time we were sent to a different present, it was bad. Really bad. The first time, there was a full-scale war between Equestria and the Crystal Empire under King Sombra. The second time Queen Chrysalis had Equestria in her clutches—“
   “Alright, I get it,” interrupted Starlight, looking annoyed. “Can you please get to the point?”
   “Starlight? How did I look when we were in that wasteland?” asked Twilight.
   “You looked really sad… as though you knew what was going on,” answered Starlight.
   “But I didn’t. I don’t know why all of that happened or how. The implications are really quite startling once I stop to think about them,” she explained before resting her head on the cutie map.
   “I don’t understand,” answered Starlight. “I mean, isn’t it obvious? You and the other five are very important to Equestria. The fate of all of Equestria rests on the shoulders— Twilight…?”
   Twilight could be seen quivering, holding her back legs, biting her lower lip, appearing to be terrified. Starlight simply looked puzzled at Twilight before turning to Spike.
   “You know, she always does that when she thinks about failure,” explained Spike. “But this time is different,” he added.
   “How so?” asked Starlight.
   “It’s just that…” started Twilight. “I don’t want anything bad to happen to Equestria. Going to all of those horrible futures made me realize how much I’ve been taking Equestria for granted… and the thought about losing everything…” Twilight’s eyes began to tear up. “I… I don’t want to believe that all of Equestria could be ruined if I don’t succeed,”
   Starlight didn’t know what to say, instead just turning her head low and to the side, looking bummed out herself. She turned to Spike wondering if he might have something to say to this but he seemed down himself. “I don’t know… I thought something like this would make you feel… grand. I mean, doesn’t it make you feel important?” asked Starlight.
   “It does… but not in a good way,” Twilight answered.
   Starlight looked on in silence. Spike broke the ice this time.
   “The thing is, she feels reponsible now for pretty much everything,” he put forward.
   “That’s right,” supported Twilight.
   “I just thought…” started Starlight. “I just thought that feeling important is what it’s all about here.”
   “Yes but it doesn’t apply everywhere,” started Twilight. “It does help to feel important and friendship can deliver on that but this is something else entirely…” Twilight pauzed. “It’s like if the lives of my friends depended solely on me… only here, it’s the lives of all ponies depending on us. It’s just scary that there is no safety net…” said Twilight, now beginning to cry. “If anything happens to me,” she said, sniffling, “I want there to be somepony, ANYpony, to be there to take my place and keep Equestria and my friends safe,” she let out, now giving into her emotions and pouring out.
   Spike moved over to hug Twilight and she let him under her wing. Starlight just stood there saddened, appearing helpless. “I… see… I… think I understand now…” Starlight let out, though still looking unsure.
   “Understand what,” asked Spike?
   “Because I grew up alone, I thought that I had to be responsible for everything. It’s an idea that I’ve had from since I can remember. This is why I couldn’t understand why the thought of shouldering that much responsibility would be so upsetting. It’s just that this goes well beyond Twilight’s… ego… That is to say, the safety of Equestria and her friends are far more important to her than how important she is. This… idea that someone else could pick up the slack even if she does fail is comforting… Because… no matter how confident you are in yourself, it’s still comforting to know that there is a safety net,” she said thoughtfully though still hesitating. There does seem to be a hint of doubt and confusion in her eyes. She doesn’t seem entirely sure herself.
   Twilight seems to have collected herself now, just making a few sniffles. “You are starting to get it, Starlight,” answered Twilight, looking more relaxed now. “This really isn’t just about me or the the holders of the elements of harmony. It’s about all of Equestria where many ponies and creatures live, each with their own lives and their own friendships.”
   Starlight continued: “And that’s something that must be protected for all of us regardless of who gets the credit.”
   Twilight went over to Starlight and hugged her. “Thank you, Starlight, for listening. It does mean a lot to me and it I feel better now because of it,” she let Starlight know.
   “Oh…” Starlight blushed. This was a little sudden. “You’re welcome, Twilight…” She looked embarrassed and flattered here.
   “Glad that you’re feeling better now, Twi,” added Spike.
   Twilight used his levetation spell to lift Spike up and move him towards her, sandwiching him between Twilight and Starlight. “I don’t know what I would do without you. Both of you.” Suddenly, Twilight and Spike felt themselves being pressed harder. Starlight seemed to have tightened her grip. “Starlight?”
   She sighed. “I don’t know… I’m just… I don’t remember the last time I felt so… appreciated. Spending time with your friends and even with some of the other ponies of Ponyville… It’s nice to feel accepted but this time it’s… I don’t really know the word.”
   “Intimate?” suggested Twilight.
   “Intimate?” repeated Starlight, looking puzzled.
   “Yeah. Psychological intimacy. It’s that we both shared a part of ourselves with one another today.”
   “I had no idea… Pinkie Pie did tell me that sharing is caring but it seems I’ve underestimated it,” commented Starlight.
   Twilight chuckled light-heartedly. “There is a lot more for you to experience but you are experiencing it now, which is a good thing.”
   “I guess there is a lot that I could share,” brought Starlight up, looking worried.
   “That’s all right. Are you sure it has to be now? You don’t seem too eager. We can talk about it any time – within reason, of course. Unless it’s urgent, there’s no need to rush. Just make sure you feel ready when the time comes, alright, Starlight?”
   “Y-yes, you’re right. I’ll think about it,” replied Starlight.
   “You know, when I heard it was you, I was afraid of bringing up the whole time travel thing but now I’m glad that I did and that we all seem more satisfied than when we started. This really had been worthwhile. Isn’t that right, Spike? Spike?”
   “I’ll say,” he replied. “So, Twilight, are we still going on vacation?”
   Twilight rolled her eyes in amusement. “I’ll think about it, Spike.”

-------

Epilogue

Starlight laid in bed, looking up into the ceiling. She got up and went over to the window, looking up into the night sky. 
   “This is more than even I could have asked for,” she said to herself. “Brainwashing those ponies wasn’t just extreme, it also turned out to be inadequate even when I think about it selfishly. I’ve got a lot to learn, don’t I…?” She looked around and listen to the gentle winds. “That is what Twilight said, didn’t she? That I’ve got a lot to learn. It took her more than a year to develop into the pony she is now after all those struggles. But what’s important is that I put myself out there… somehow… and if anything happens along the way, I can always confide in her and her friends. I can see why she’s so comfortable with the idea of having a safety net. The idea of failure isn’t so harrowing when you can be sure it won’t be the end of the world… literally so in Twilight’s case. For me, I can put myself out there with more comfort. I can only hope that I can be part of her safety net or any other nice pony for that matter.”
   She turned towads her bed now. “What a wonderful day it’s been,” she said looking content and satisfied. “I’ll have a lot of nice memories to rest on tonight.”

--- End ---

Feedback is encouraged

Edited by SunBurn