Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Too short.

Hierok

I just watched the movie and while the effects and designs were amazing, the storie could be a lot better. I didn't like the way Capper and the pirates were reformed. It was too short in my opinion and the part that the hippo's came back was my least favourite part.

What do you guys think? Did I miss parts of the movie which bring this better together?

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Ganondox said:

Completely agree. This is the weakest point of the movie, they throw in so many side characters without providing time to properly develop any of them. 

Exactly. I take Capper for example because this was a disappointment for me. 

I rather had him work for the storm king and see him reform as he flies with Tempest to chase them. Now it's like, hey I'm bad, but if you give me something I will help you to save your land. XD

• Brohoof 1

At least it was a little longer than Rainbow Rocks, the longest of the Equestria Girls movies. But yes, I would have liked the movie to be a bit longer. It was probably limited to 90 minutes because young kids tend to not have long attention spans.

• Brohoof 3

I think the issue was with having multiple new side characters, not just the length. While I enjoyed the world building and I had fun with them, I felt like they should have wrote out Capper and the Pirates and given more attention to the hypogriffs/seaponies. Capper and the pirate crew don't really add that much, and there anthro-ness was kind of jarring to what we've come to know as MLP's style (I know, Diamond Dogs, Series 1, I'm not an irrational hater I just don't see the point of including them). 

Yeah, more time should have been on the mane six (Flutters, Rarity, and Applejack especially) and the hypogriffs rather than introducing a whole bunch of characters that had no real development. Also, while I didn't expect anything more from her, Songbird Serenade actually helping the girls overpower Storm King might have been cool. 

It was a good movie, but it wasn't perfect.

Edited by Attack of the Pwns
  • Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Attack of the Pwns said:

I think the issue was with having multiple new side characters, not just the length. While I enjoyed the world building and I had fun with them, I felt like they should have wrote out Capper and the Pirates and given more attention to the hypogriffs/seaponies. Capper and the pirate crew don't really add that much, and there anthro-ness was kind of jarring to what we've come to know as MLP's style (I know, Diamond Dogs, Series 1, I'm not a hate I just don't see the point of including them). 

Yeah, more time should have been on the mane six (Flutters, Rarity, and Applejack especially) and the hypogriffs rather than introducing the whole bunch of characters that had no real development. also, while I didn't expect anything more from her, Songbird Serenade actually helping the girls overpower Storm King might have been cool. 

It was a good movie, but it wasn't perfect.

It indeed was a good movie and don't think Capper should wrote out, but rather wrote differently.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Hierok, Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony. said:

It indeed was a good movie and don't think Capper should wrote out, but rather wrote differently.

I would have been okay with that. But we had to lose somebody here, there was just too much going on to resolve in 90 minutes. I agree with what the studio probably came up with on time, though- kids and their parents don't really want to be there any longer than an hour and a half.

• Brohoof 4

The movie felt rather cramped at parts. Capper's whole bit felt like it was rushed and it made his song feel pointless. They could have easily cut that out for better development on him. I think his song and the seaponies song could have been left out. I liked most of the songs minus those two and if you put too many songs it can it really make the movie feel like it just flew by.

For the time they had to work with, I think it worked out fine enough, but some trimmings and replacements would have helped.

• Brohoof 2

The Storm King in the film < the one in the prequel comics.

Sure, the film got his humor right, but it was still pretty disappointing to see him go from "quirky, savvy pragmatist" to...

..."yet another self-defeating dolt" (E.g., remember Chrysalis's problem at the end of A Canterlot Wedding?).

Betraying Tempest just because EVIL =/= very Pragmatic Villainy-like of you, Stormy.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

The Storm King in the film < the one in the prequel comics.

Sure, the film got his humor right, but it was still pretty disappointing to see him go from "quirky, savvy pragmatist" to...

Hide contents

..."yet another self-defeating dolt."

Betraying Tempest just because EVIL =/= very Pragmatic Villainy-like of you, Stormy.

I still don't understand his motive to betray Tempest. Fun? :ooh:

Just now, Hierok said:

There's a theory that, after Strife's betrayal in the prequel comics, TSK got paranoid that Tempest would do the same; therefore, he decided to just betray her first.

In that case, why didn't he just say, "Yeah, right -- I heal your horn, and then I'm not useful to you anymore," or something?

Instead, his dialogue clearly indicated it was just because EVIL.

• Brohoof 1

At it's current length, it's up there in terms of run time for 2D Western Animation. If you were to keep the current plot, yet eliminate a character, you would reduce one of three characters mini-arcs. Rarity and Rainbow Dash each get focused parts that are used to help gain allies. I actually believe that the Celaeno and her crews return to form was a bit quick, but that goes the fact that the song was kinda short. The first half of the song should have been sung and then as instrumental played you have mid song dialog furthering the the point that Dash was trying to make, then resume the song. It adds 30-60 seconds of runtime and fixes that issue nicely. 

I actually believe that Cappers segment (from introduction to the escape) got a decent amount of screen time. I will tell you he isn't the best con artist since there was a built in excuse when they were found to be heading in a different direction, but I overlooked that goof. 

• Brohoof 1

Personally, my favorite newcomers were Tempest, Capper, Celaeno, and Skystar.

Grubber and Novo were just sort of... there... and The Storm King was, as I said before, underwhelming compared to himself in the comics.

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I'm going with he lied to her from go. A unicorn horn can't be repaired. Once he got his staff powered up ... since he couldn't make it happen ... might as well say ... sorry. He also didn't trust her. Notice how he questions her when he overhears her say she is looking forward to show others what she can do? 

2 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Personally, my favorite newcomers were Tempest, Capper, Celaeno, and Skystar.

Grubber and Novo were just sort of... there... and The Storm King was, as I said before, underwhelming compared to himself in the comics.

I agree with Novo and Grubber. Grubber humor wasn't really that funny. He had almost nothing to do with the climax. I think Novo's role was cut. I heard that she originally got a song of her own at one point and Daniel Ingram did say there was a unreleased song on Twitter. 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Once he got his staff powered up ... since he couldn't make it happen ... might as well say ... sorry.

He could've made all kinds of excuses (e.g., "Eh, maybe later, kid; this thing doesn't exactly come with a how-to-heal manual, you know") that would've fit better.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

He could've made all kinds of excuses (e.g., "Eh, maybe later, kid; this thing doesn't exactly come with a how-to-heal manual, you know") that would've fit better.

How would you follow that up to bring it to a head? 

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

"Later?! But we had an agreement!"

"Did you really think I was just going to give you your powers back? I just stole all the magic in Equestria, I'm not setting myself up to get it stolen from me."

*epic fight scene*

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Follow-up: He goes back to being an all-powerful manchild and playing with his new weather magic, Tempest realizes he's probably never going to heal her horn (because despite his Pragmatic Villainy, he's ultimately too self-absorbed and/or unable to actually do so), she accidentally gets near-sucked into his reckless tornado... and the rest plays out as it already did.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Attack of the Pwns said:

"Did you really think I was just going to give you your powers back? I just stole all the magic in Equestria, I'm not setting myself up to get it stolen from me."

That would actually be much worse than what we got, yet still has the exact same issue. It would feel as if that came out of nowhere with very very little foreshadowing or set-up that this fear is playing in the back of his head. Instead we got basically what we always expect for a standard villain -- disloyalty and deceit. To subvert that explicitly that you need more of a foundation. Instead we got implicit hints he didn't trust her. 

Trying this again. 

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

My 5 year old niece and 7 year old niece got it. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, at least it got more done in that time than the average two-parter.

Besides, we could imagine them getting to no one another offscreen during the Friendship Festival.

(Yes. I watched the leak. And it will be the last time I watch a leaked movie)

10 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

The movie felt rather cramped at parts. Capper's whole bit felt like it was rushed and it made his song feel pointless. They could have easily cut that out for better development on him. I think his song and the seaponies song could have been left out. I liked most of the songs minus those two and if you put too many songs it can it really make the movie feel like it just flew by.

For the time they had to work with, I think it worked out fine enough, but some trimmings and replacements would have helped.

I liked the seapony song, it was my second fav, my only problem with it was that it was too close in proximity to Tempest's song, leaving the final act sparse.