Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Dad is Glad he Found MLP

Demian

I'm 32 years old and I'm a biologist, writer, father of 2, husband of my high school sweat heart, and budding programmer.  I'm fairly athletic and outgoing, but also sentimental, contemplative, and a natural storyteller.  One of the things that really drew me to MLP is that many of the episodes were very much in the spirit of the stories that I've writen for my daughters.  Many of the MLP episodes--- and my stories--- are about dealing with disappointment, managing one's expectations, or finding contentment with what you have, rather than obsessing about what you don't have.  I also quite like how MLP has a lot of fidelity to the "truth" of its characters, with few characters being idealized.  Each of the "Mane Ponies" is a distillation of a specific character quality, with all of its virtues and vices.  It's intriguing to see how the Mane 6--- each a paragon of a specific trait--- cling together but also clash together.  I haven't really seen any other story quite like it.

While I do like MLP quite a bit, I think what is really icing on the cake is the fact that it is exactly the kind of show that I want my daughters to watch.  Not only are the "lessons" often sophisticated, but its an ultimately optimistic vision of the world, and its also great "starter fantasy."  My wife and I are fantasy, Sci-Fi buffs, and classic literature buff, and I can't think of a better way to introduce my little girls to the genres.  As I've watched the episodes, I've  seen so many excellent references from Star Trek to Huckleberry Fin.

ANYWAY, I've got work early tomorrow, so I'll put an end to this little novel I've written.

Edited by Demian
  • Brohoof 10

Hello there 'Damien' welcome to the herd, and welcome to our wonderful forums :rarity:

I hope you have a really great time here and make plenty of new pony friends :kindness:

If you meed any help finding your way around, or just a friendly chat please feel free to PM me.

• Brohoof 4

THAT IS A BRILLIANT story there mate Welcome to this crazy mess with all the others who have fallen for those damn ponies :D from me and many others as well. (i hope) hit me up with a PM or friend request (if you wish). Welcome to the herd, for all shall be assimilated, and If you need or would like help with the RP part of this great community I'd be glad to help you out.

Again welcome.

post-35804-0-64965100-1451292538.jpg

post-35804-0-08620600-1451292552_thumb.jpgpost-35804-0-19017900-1451292558.jpg

• Brohoof 4

Hee hee, thanks guys.  I don't have mountains of free time at this point in my life, but I'll swing by when I need my pony fix.  I might even--- *gasp*--- do some fan fiction ;-)

Edited by Demian
  • Brohoof 3

Oh, and I'm not 100 percent sure how my wife will feel about me posting on an MLP forum (its still a seeeeeecret)...  Or possibly writing MLP fan fiction...  I'm not normally a fan boy when it comes to television, but I have done a few "extra curricular" Walking Dead and Game of Thrones activities, mainly in the form of podcasts discussing the shows. 

My wife has watched some MLP, but I'm not sure she wants to admit that she likes it.  As you all know, I think you have to watch a certain critical mass of episodes before it hooks you.  I'm trying to teach my eldest daughter to say the names of the Mane 6, that way my wife will HAVE to watch the show in order to have pony conversations with her kids. 

I want us to like ponies together, but I'm not sure how to make her like it, or if she ever will at all :-(

• Brohoof 4

Hi there. I'm a 32 year old Brony dad also! I got hooked on the show because my daughter as well, and the power of watching several episodes with both her and my wife. I've never seen the documentary, and I remember seeing bronies online, with girl ponies as their avatars, thinking it was the weirdest thing in the world. Cut to less than a year later and

<----------------

My wife also caught on, and has called me out as a Brony. She doesn't seem to mind, as she admits its the best cartoon on television and in the past 20 years. Great writing, acting, etc. She even said "how come sitting through so many kid shows seems like an eternity, but My Little Pony feels over in a few minutes, when the episodes lengths are exactly the same?"

Since it's been many months of this, when I told her I joined the forums, she didn't  seem too surprised. I figured, what could it hurt. If you're going to join an online collective, it might as well be one where most everyone seems very nice and supportive and loves the magic of friendship. I'm sure she'd understand.

I also quite like how MLP has a lot of fidelity to the "truth" of its characters, with few characters being idealized.  Each of the "Mane Ponies" is a distillation of a specific character quality, with all of its virtues and vices.  It's intriguing to see how the Mane 6--- each a paragon of a specific trait--- cling together but also clash together.  I haven't really seen any other story quite like it.

While I do like MLP quite a bit, I think what is really icing on the cake is the fact that it is exactly the kind of show that I want my daughters to watch.  Not only are the "lessons" often sophisticated, but its an ultimately optimistic vision of the world, and its also great "starter fantasy." 

Loved this above. They really are so diverse and both cling and clash. Just like life. Just like friendship, REAL friendship. And I'm also proud that it's a show that I have my daughter watch, because of the type of show it is and lessons learned.

Anyway, I've been here less than a week, but welcome!

7t6Zq1F.png

• Brohoof 4

Well my good friend! Welcome to the best forum you have ever been on in your entire life! We call this magic beautiful place MLPforums! The people here are sure to be kind and loving even though we all have different opinions! I hope you stay on the forums like I have for the past few months! If you have any questions I am sure I can answer them or point you in the right direction to someone who can!

Best of luck friend!

Welcome-to-the-Herd.gif

• Brohoof 4

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

I guess the denial of being a brony was something I had for a while but you know what? If it's something you identify with, it's nothing to be ashamed of! Have fun exploring the forums!

• Brohoof 4

Hi there Demian! ^.^ Happy to have you aboard!   :) 

post-8308-0-47693600-1440662603_thumb.png

I hope you have a wonderful time here! We are an amazing community and I think you will absolutely love it here!

Thank you so much for joining us! Hope to see you around more!   :lol: If you have any questions, feel free to ask.    ;)

• Brohoof 2

Hello Brony dad from this Brony mom. <3

What drew me to this fandom is how creative everyone seems to be. Lots of energy and new ideas from all flavors of life. 

Let me know if you would like to chat, about ponies or otherwise!

• Brohoof 3

Hello there and welcome to the forums. It is great to have you here  :). Don't be afraid of jumping in  :D. I hope you have a wonderful time here and make a lot of friends  :squee:.

sig-4291726.sig-4288198.sig-4284841.sig-

• Brohoof 2