Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Steam the modern day PS2?

TheMisterManGuy

When it comes to gaming, people usually focus on the big 3 video game consoles from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. But lately a new platform has been rising that honestly is starting to give consoles a run for their money. I am of course talking about Valve's Steam. Steam, beginning in 2003 as just a digital retailer for PC games, has since grown into what is essentially a gaming platform in and of itself. Because Steam can be installed and booted on to any PC or Mac, it gives Valve and 3rd parties a userbase consoles can only dream of having. It's online is completely free, and has all the features of PSN and XBL plus more, and can even use any USB or Bluetooth controller. But by far the best part about Steam is it's game library. I feel it's much more well rounded than any of the big three consoles. It's not lacking in any of the big AAA games *Wii U*, it's not shameless marketing vehicle for blockbuster games with meaningless "timed exclusives" *Xbox (pre-Phill Spencer)*, and it doesn't promise games, only to have you wait 3 whole years to get any of them *PS4*. It's catalogue is huge, spanning from every genre, and has nearly every major 3rd party publisher on board. It's even THE testing ground for new and innovative games from people like indies through programs like Steam Greenlight. No matter what your into, there's a game on Steam that satisfies what ever craving your having. And it manages to do all of this without needing some haphazardly slapped together control gimmick, $60 a year online subscription, or pure marketing hype. In a way, Steam could be considered the modern day PS2 in this sense, and now that Steam is accessible from living rooms via the Steam machines, Valve has the potential to change the console landscape forever. So do you consider Steam the modern day PS2?

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 1

As a steam member and Valve fan myself, I wouldn't say it's the modern PS2. Sure, they are both in the gaming region, but the PS2 is special for not only it's games but for its features. Plus, you cannot compare the PS2 with Steam as they are both completely different things. The PS2 is a gaming console, and Steam is an only a gaming community/online distributor. However, I'm not really sure what I would consider the modern PS2...

Valve has the potential to change the console landscape forever.

Yeah. Potential. :P

Even though you're right, I really think Valve should just stick with PC Games. Their steam machines and controllers are not so great and they are trying to take over the living room, which is the home of our beloved console competitors. It's actually very ironic and funny because Valve have said they won't compete with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo...but technically they are. As of right now to what they are offering with the Steam Machine and Steam controller, I see them as nothing but a downgraded version of a PS3 that plays Steam games only. :\ 

Both Valve and Sony are awesome. I love PC's as much as I love consoles. But in my honest opinion, Valve should stay away from consoles and stick to what they do best :)

• Brohoof 2

I feel like this thread exists mostly to bash the modern consoles while hyping up Steam and less about it's comparison to the PS2. Which, I don't think it is like the PS2. Steam has a lot of issues, along with it's great factors. From what I have heard, their customer service is atrocious and thanks to Steam Greenlight and little policing on Valve's part, many, many horrendous games are put onto the platform with no quality control. The 360 had the same issue with the Indie Games aspect.

I do think that Steam is doing a lot for gaming and it is wonderful, but I stick with my consoles. I do think that the steam machines are kinda pointless. 

• Brohoof 1

got into steam last year and my ps4 is gathering dust now

That sounds like me, I don't touch my consoles much anymore save for the occasional console-exclusive title now that I have a gaming PC and pre-paid card to buy off of Steam with.

I feel like this thread exists mostly to bash the modern consoles while hyping up Steam and less about it's comparison to the PS2. Which, I don't think it is like the PS2. Steam has a lot of issues, along with it's great factors. From what I have heard, their customer service is atrocious and thanks to Steam Greenlight and little policing on Valve's part, many, many horrendous games are put onto the platform with no quality control. The 360 had the same issue with the Indie Games aspect.

I do think that Steam is doing a lot for gaming and it is wonderful, but I stick with my consoles. I do think that the steam machines are kinda pointless.

I don't hate any of the big 3, nor do I hate their platforms. I was just pointing out the advantages Steam has over them. I do agree Steam has some flaws though. As good of an idea on paper as it is, Steam greenlight still needs work. I haven't checked it out much, but from what I've heard, it's kind of a mess. As you said, a lot of shovelware is thrown onto Steam because of it, but then again, I don't think it's any worse than the shovelware people throw on iOS or Android, or hell, even the PS2 in it hayday.

As for the Steam Machines, I feel Steam OS just needs better devices before it can take off. The newest Alienware running it wasn't very well received from what I've heard, and the others don't look very promising either yet. So all we can do is wait for Valve to get more OEMs on board and make more compelling Steam Machines.

And of course there was the paid mod disaster that didn't last long. Steam isn't perfect, but I feel it has more good than bad going for it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate any of the big 3, nor do I hate their platforms. I was just pointing out the advantages Steam has over them. I do agree Steam has some flaws though. As good of an idea on paper as it is, Steam greenlight still needs work. I haven't checked it out much, but from what I've heard, it's kind of a mess. As you said, a lot of shovelware is thrown onto Steam because of it, but then again, I don't think it's any worse than the shovelware people throw on iOS or Android, or hell, even the PS2 in it hayday.

As for the Steam Machines, I feel Steam OS just needs better devices before it can take off. The newest Alienware running it wasn't very well received from what I've heard, and the others don't look very promising either yet. So all we can do is wait for Valve to get more OEMs on board and make more compelling Steam Machines.

And of course there was the paid mod disaster that didn't last long. Steam isn't perfect, but I feel it has more good than bad going for it.

Fair enough, my apologies on my assumption about the thread. Steam's influence on sales and whatnot has been very, very good for console gaming, the other companies are following the same pattern. Also, I do think that the Steam refund system is fantastic from what I have heard, and I think that could be an influence as well, as I was able to get a terrible game refunded on Xbox One with no hassle whatsoever. 

I wouldn't since the ps2 had much better games then steam does.

The ps2 is the best gaming console in my opinion 

As much as stepping up to PC has become easy and less expensive over the last decade, I don't think comparing Steam, a digital distribution service to the best selling console of all time isn't really viable. Ask anyone who was a gamer at the turn of the century if they had a console, they probably had a PS2. Hell, I had two of them! My original model (got the skinny, fanless model when it came out in 2004) had the laser issue that caused it be misaligned. I did not know that was the issue and could be easily fixed until 2009. I never actually tried to make that fix even though that PS2 is still in the house somewhere...

Anyway...

Ask gamers today, it's either PC or console, and it's a shit-show between them.

Even though there are many more PC gamers than there have been in the past (just over 50% of the global market), I don't think that just Steam alone isn't doing it. You also have uPlay, Origin (as evil as they are), GOG. and another one whose name escapes me.

I don't have any of the new consoles, I mostly used the PSX, Xbox and Xbox 360. but even so, I am highly skeptical that Steam Machines will have much of an impact in the console market, let alone forever change it.

Of course, Steam has the monopoly on PC games, but I don't see it having a monopoly over console games anytime soon (or ever). Sony and Microsoft's consoles are just too big to fade into obscurity because Valve released their own.

I think Steam should stick to PC games, what it's great at. The only way I can see it being relevant in consoles is if you can, for example, "merge" your accounts, so that if you have a game on Steam that is available to PS4, you can play it on the PS4, and if you have a game on PS4 that is on Steam, you can play it on the PC. But of course, the chances of this happening are next to zilch. :P

As much as stepping up to PC has become easy and less expensive over the last decade, I don't think comparing Steam, a digital distribution service to the best selling console of all time isn't really viable. Ask anyone who was a gamer at the turn of the century if they had a console, they probably had a PS2. Hell, I had two of them! My original model (got the skinny, fanless model when it came out in 2004) had the laser issue that caused it be misaligned. I did not know that was the issue and could be easily fixed until 2009. I never actually tried to make that fix even though that PS2 is still in the house somewhere...

Well, as I mentioned, Steam isn't just a digital distribution service, it's a platform in and of it self. Yes, it run on PCs and features PC games, but it also has its online multiplayer framework, and ability to browse the web, message friends, and save games all within the client. It's basically a platform within a platform.

Of course, Steam has the monopoly on PC games, but I don't see it having a monopoly over console games anytime soon (or ever). Sony and Microsoft's consoles are just too big to fade into obscurity because Valve released their own.

Steam still has GOG as a competitor.

Nintendo's part in the console business is slowly fading away.

I think Steam has definitely made PC gaming a more viable option for those who might not be interested in buying a console and I would even go as far as saying that Steam made PC gaming much more popular than it was in the past. However, I do disagree with some of the points you raised against the big three. Some of the games available on consoles can't be played on PC. Games like Halo 5, Bloodborne, and any of Nintendo 1st party games can't be played on PC...or at least that I am aware of. Also, is there a feature like party chat available on Steam?

Steam is the PS2 for PC, but as far as saying that it is better than this generations consoles, I'm not so sure.

Edited by joanro

Pretty much all games have steam. So I think yes. Ps2 at its time was a new flexible console that made its competators collect dust.

Steam is doing this exact thing right now. Exclusive games like The Last Of Us has been pretty much the only thing keeping the consoles relevant in the more "hardcore" market.

Besides I have yet seen anyone show up with a console at a LAN party and I have been at a lot of those.

Also, is there a feature like party chat available on Steam?

Yes it does. But most people perfer to use more specialized software like Teamspeak.

• 7 years later...

I got Steam several years ago, like I think it was as far back as 2018, and I considered it just as good as the current generation of consoles. It's amazing how much it's grown, even to produce its very own handheld device, the Steam Deck. I don't own one, but I've heard good things about it.