Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Can't play games due to photosensitive epilepsy?

Dark Qiviut

If you look at just about every single video or pinball game today, you'll see a warning similar to this:

tumblr_inline_ngun17yVlY1ruanyo.png

Over the past fifteen to eighteen years (including when one Pokemon episode sent hundreds of kids in Japan to the hospital for triggering seizures), there's been awareness that the flashing lights in video games can trigger symptoms of epilepsy. Over at Microsoft's XBox website, some symptoms include eye/muscle twitching, disorientation, and lightheadedness. Only three percent of epileptic people get photosensitive seizures. Because video games have a reputation (and deservedly so) for triggering seizures, there are warnings and seizure tests to determine which games are healthy for people with photosensitive eyes to play.

One of those people is me. My eyes are very photosensitive and light-sensititve, so flashing lights cause my eyes to twitch. Back when I had no idea games can cause seizures, my eyes twitched like crazy from playing games so much. In 2000, I actually suffered a seizure from playing games too long and often when tired. To try to combat it, I only played games very sporadically, in a very brightly-lit room (usually three or four times brighter than normal), playing literally from the other corner of the room, only played them when I was completely awake, and closed my eyes the second before lights started to flash. Today, though, my gaming days are over; it's stupid to risk my health.

Anyone here have photosensitive eyes, suffered photosensitive epilepsy symptoms, or suffered a seizure from flashing lights?

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

I had an acquaintance once with the same problem. A more advanced case, actually. He still played video games regularly but he had to be very careful and had several computer programs and filters on his screen to prevent surprise seizures.