Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could this be classified as an OC? Or is there another term for it?

Solid

If there is a background character that is canon, yet never explored in details (maybe a few appearances and lines, but besides that nothing else, with literally zero backstory whatsoever), something tells me that you can't simply call that character an OC by giving the character your idea of his/her backstory and other such information. Is there a specific term for these kind of so called "OCs not built from scratch?"

Put this in Everfree because it does not only limit to mlp.

Edited by Solid

That sounds pretty complicated. On one hand, it could be a person's interpretation of the character and thus, be an OC. On the other hand, it wouldn't exactly be an OC, but a character of the show. What you have to remember here though, is that the background ponies of the show such as Derpy or Lyra (My example stands prior to the hundredth episode as it's much easier to explain) had characters that were built up by the fandom, and because of so, had no actual factual character to them. It was simply what the majority of the fandom interpreted them as.

If a character appeared in the canon show (or comic) but was of no real importance, I'd call them a Background Pony, as that is the term I am most familiar with. Other people may have other names for them though, but I'm currently unaware of them.

• Brohoof 1