Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need Novel Advice!

Katze

I need some advice, I'm writing a novel that is unrelated to MLP, but I do admit the original spark for the idea came from MLP.

In my story there are two sisters, Aurora and Luna (based off Roman gods) who are angel like beings of immense power.
Luna betrays Aurora, forcing Aurora to seal Luna away in a tomb. Around 1000 years later archaeologists release her, she then kills them, destroys a single kingdom and vanishes. 7 years after that is where the novel starts. This is where the similarity to MLP stop, the story is completely different apart from that back story of the two sisters.

Is this too similar to MLP? Using Aurora and Luna is fine because its based off Roman gods, but that combined with the betrayal and Luna being sealed away, I'm not sure.

What do you think? do any of you have any suggestions? Another option is to rename Luna to Selena (the Greek equivalent to Luna).

I think it sounds fine. Any similarities are well within the boundaries. The only thing that would make me think directly about MLP is the name Luna, but as you said, that's a real name already well-established so it should be fine. If you're concerned, you can use the Greek equivalent, which is something I've done when writing about mythical Greek and Roman figures. I've intermixed names from both cultures and it worked okay for me. It just depends on how closely you want to portray one cultures version over another. If your priority is for being accurate to the Roman version, stick with Luna and don't worry about it. If it doesn't matter, go with the Greek.

Luna being sealed away in a cave would not necessarily bring thoughts of Princess Luna to mind. It's all in how it's presented in the writing. That, and the use of the names, should be easy to make your own.  

Sounds like a great story too! 

• Brohoof 1

I think it sounds fine. Any similarities are well within the boundaries. The only thing that would make me think directly about MLP is the name Luna, but as you said, that's a real name already well-established so it should be fine. If you're concerned, you can use the Greek equivalent, which is something I've done when writing about mythical Greek and Roman figures. I've intermixed names from both cultures and it worked okay for me. It just depends on how closely you want to portray one cultures version over another. If your priority is for being accurate to the Roman version, stick with Luna and don't worry about it. If it doesn't matter, go with the Greek.

Luna being sealed away in a cave would not necessarily bring thoughts of Princess Luna to mind. It's all in how it's presented in the writing. That, and the use of the names, should be easy to make your own.  

Sounds like a great story too! 

Thanks for your insight, I may end up renaming her Selena, as she is suppose to be evil, and because of MLP, Luna just doesn't sound evil to me :P

But I do want that connection between the sisters, as Aurora and Luna are sisters in Roman mythology.

Is this going to be darker than MLP? 

On an unrelated note, I released my own novel which you can find here:http://www.lulu.com/shop/richmund-meneses/book-of-the-sage/paperback/product-22781431.html

You could say that, think A Song of Ice and Fire cross with The Lord of the Rings.

I like the sister connection, that'll make a good dynamic in their story. And the name Selena does have a slick, almost feline quality about it that should suit the villainess well.  

• Brohoof 1

In general it is good. There are one or two things that kind of throw me off, but because this is more just a general plot for a longer story, I'm sure you will iron those things out when you actually write it. 

When it comes to being similar to MLP, Luna is totally fine because if the roman influence. Only someone who knows MLP would see the similarities, and I doubt MLP is the first time a similar plot has been used. 

The two sisters are only loosely based off the Roman gods, and the novel has its own lore. For example in Roman mythology Aurora and Luna have a brother, Sol, who doesn't exist in my lore. I mainly want their names to carry some meaning to the readers. Aurora of the morning sun, and Luna of the moon.

​I am still very much in the planning and outlining stage, so there is still plenty of time to make changes. Thank you for all your input.

What role does Aurora play?

I don't want to give too much away, but she plays a role later in the story and reveals a plot twist. She is not known to exist before this, except from legends and myth.

At the start of the story she is known as an old Elven god, along with Luna. The legend of Aurora and Luna is part of their faith, like God and Lucifer (Lucifer was Gods son who was cast out of Heaven after he felt jealous over humanity). Similar situation.