So what's your headcanon about night maid rarity?

Unlikeable Pony

So, here's a question: What's your headcanons about rarity working as Nightmare moon's maid in the S5 finale?
What paths in life do you think she took that lead her to being Nightmare moon's personal maid, how do you think her life goes right now, and what do you see her personality and goals in life being like in that timeline?

crazy headcanons perfectly okay :P

1104136__safe_solo_rarity_spoiler-colon-

I've never bought into the idea that the Sonic Rainboom being prevented would meaningfully alter the lives of all of the Mane 6 prior to Nightmare Moon's return. A number of them were well on their way to achieving their Cutie Marks without it, including Rarity, who even as a blank flank had developed ambitions based on her passions and talents and was hard at work learning the art of dressmaking. She knew what she wanted to do in life and was taking steps to achieve that goal, all without a magical event having to serve as a catalyst first, as it did for Twilight and Pinkie. If the Rainboom didn't occur, earning her Cutie Mark might take a tad longer, resulting in additional struggles with self-doubt, and I suppose it's conceivable that she would never master the gem location spell, thus limiting her financial success. Even so, Rarity is a very determined individual, and I have no doubt that, even with this additional adversity, she would have held fast to her dreams, continued to cultivate her gifts, and ultimately opened the Carousel Boutique regardless.

Because of this, even without the Rainboom, Rarity would realistically develop into essentially the same individual that we meet in the first episode. And, though flawed, that individual is a fundamentally good person, someone who is so dedicated to spreading joy and beauty through her art that she was deemed Generosity incarnate. Given that Season 4 began one year after the series premiere, it can be inferred that the beginning of The Cutie Re-Mark takes place no more than two years after Nightmare Moon's return. This presumably holds true for the altered timelines, so the version of Rarity in question would have been serving Nightmare Moon for a relatively brief period of time. Although life under Nightmare Moon's rule would doubtless have been brutal, I do not feel that this is a long enough span to allow for such a drastic turn of character as we see in the episode, considering that this Rarity would still have spent the first two decades of her life as a wonderful person.

Thus, I feel that her cold, aloof manner in the episode is nothing more than an act, a long-term facade carried out in the name of self-preservation, and perhaps something more. Upon seizing the throne, Nightmare Moon doubtless moved quickly to make examples of those who defied her, with dissenters facing imprisonment or worse. Sadly, individuals such as Applejack, who refused to accept a tyrant and lacked even a shred of duplicity, likely received such punishments. Seeing this, Rarity chose to bow, to play the part of a traitor willing to abandon her loyalties for the sake of obtaining personal status in the new world order. Just as she had carefully studied and adopted the mannerisms of the upper class in order to remake herself into a cultured lady, she donned a veneer based off of Nightmare Moon, deliberately seeming arrogant and cruel for the sake of appeasing the boundless narcissism of her new 'Master.'

Armed with this new persona, she began doing her best to work her way up the social ladder, eventually worming her way into a position in Nightmare Moon's court. From there, she began carefully evaluating her options, looking for ways to influence events and start making the world a better place. At minimum, she sought to temper Nightmare Moon's wrath, nudging the dictator in more benevolent directions through making obsequious suggestions and subliminally promoting ideas through her art. At best, she would gain a position of trust at the despot's side, allowing her to one day discover and implement a means of freeing Luna from her monstrous inner demons, rescuing Celestia from her imprisonment, or even assassinating Nightmare Moon outright, thus liberating Equestria.

---

As much as I detest nearly everything about The Cutie Re-Mark, I admit that this concept has intrigued me for some time. I've even entertained the notion of writing a story based on Rarity maintaining such a ruse and struggling not to lose herself in the deception, but I feel that doing the concept justice would be a colossal undertaking of several hundred thousand words, an endeavor that, given my extremely slow rate of writing and commitments elsewhere, is sadly beyond my realistic capabilities.

Edited by Captain Sorzo
  • Brohoof 2

The Mane six displaced by separated destinies wouldn't assembled so the creation of the Element of Generosity and others couldn't muster. Rarity in nature would undoubtedly still uphold her generous spirit in spite of the dark rule of NMM. Rarity will still receive her triple diamond Cutie Mark not by her gem spell but by helping the needy and unfortunate. Her good grace and actions of gratuity shows how important her deeds are in a time of NMM's reign and everypony believes she's the true "diamond in the rough", a loyal servant to help those who are in need. She would make clothing and linens freely to the struggling lives whom succumbed to NMM's eternal darkness.

As NMM's night maid, she was unwilling to serve the Dark Princess but for the protection of her family and the ponies who felt the smite of NMM's reign, she vowed yes only to the safety of her people whom can be guaranteed by her dire services. She would make countless formal attires and gowns for NMM and notified as NMM's most trusted maid and close watch. Deep down within herself lies a hope and chance to show how generous her good-kindled spirit and whether or not if NMM can see it, to see how much Rarity gave away to serve her.

i agree with @Daring_Do i think she was decorating,

i think she worked at the castle giving tours and she probably was in charge of keeping the place looking nice for tours, she loves dress making but in a world ruled by an evil queen i'm sure she would settle for interior designing and showing off her work during tours of the castle.

• Brohoof 1