Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a "most important" friendship lesson?

ManaMinori

Reading "Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise", I found a line that gives mad props to Sunset Shimmer (if, as some speculate- she is the secret element of forgiveness) says "Sunset Shimmer had taught the most important lesson about friendship of all- and that was forgiveness."

So...would you guys say that- with the theme of pony being "friendship is magic", that this lesson is THE MOST IMPORTANT one? True, you need to forgive a person for past transgressions before you can befriend them, or turn enemies into to friends by forgiving them, but is forgiveness the core?

• Brohoof 1

Hmm...That's an interesting question. I think that there will be different opinions about the "most important friendship lesson", but I personally believe that the Golden Rule, treating others the same way you wish to be treated (and to try to take on the perspective of the other person during situations), is one of the most important things to keep in mind. It's a bit all-encompassing, and would include Sunset's forgiveness lesson, if you think about it. :)

Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 1

There are too many components to a good friendship for one to stand out as most important.  For example, it's impossible to forgive someone without trust, trust requires loyalty, and so on and so forth.  It's like a jigsaw, there are the corners, which you build from, the edge pieces which frame the whole thing, and all of the other pieces that fill it out and complete it, but without any one of those pieces it's not whole.

• Brohoof 3

I would say open mindedness is an essential trait to have when befriending someone. The only thing keeping one person from befriending another are the number of differences between them they are willing to tolerate.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think there is a *single* most important lesson in friendship, as they all are involved with the over-arching theme of friendship itself, which is the overall goal. So essentially every 'lesson' is a building block for friendship, each one just as important as the next.

• Brohoof 1