Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The message of Gilda the brush off and the current trend of the show

Unlikeable Pony

So, here's a question: Gilda the brush off was meant to show that there are some people that, no matter how nice you are to them, you can never be friends with, and that's okay. But in the show, they've kind of reversed that with pretty much EVERYONE being reformed or being made a friend with, with the only two villains to NOT be reformed being Chrysalis and Tirek.

Do you think that the message of There being people that you have to accept as being Unfriendable is one that should be used more, or is it good that the show seemingly has discarded it?

I think this is something that they should revisit, because I think the staff realized that Gilda wasn't completely at fault for her actions in that episode(Pinkie and Dash also played a part unknowingly)

• Brohoof 2

I think seasons have turned "some people you can never be friends with" into "some people take more time to make into your friend".

Personally I find the idea of "absolute unfriendability" ridiculous.

Spoken like someone that's never met anyone that's absolutely unfriendable.

Oh, please don't report me for this, moderator-kun.

It'd actually be interesting if they had a plot with a villain where one of the characters tries to "befriend" and reform them, only for them to take advantage of them and all the problems in the episode come down to one of the mane six having put themselves and all of equestria in jeopardy by trusting them.

Unfortunately, the only villains available for that at the moment are Tirek (Who'd be HORRIBLE for this plot given how visibly evil and violent he is), and chrysalis (And I don't want another starlight central two parter)

Funnily enough, Gilda despite destroying that idea in season 5, was actually one of the few reformations in the show that was actually handled decently. :P

agreed about gilda; While I LIKE the message of the episode, Gilda was one of the worst ways to depict it, IMO, since she really seemed sympathetic in the episode.

I would have liked the message to have been done with Discord, but I think that ship's passed.

• Brohoof 1

They should revisit it. It is not realistic that every single pony/character wants to make friends. Obviously plenty do, but there are always those that just thrive on hate and destruction and have no desire to be reformed or rehabilitated.... sure we have Tirek.. but it might be too soon to bring him back.

Honestly I would like to see a pony in this role, Alicorn, Unicorn, whatever... just a pony character.I think making them any other species or race sort of "demonizes" them right from the outside and makes them predictable. Like Tirek just looks like a villain.. Chrysalis looks like a villain.... heck even Discord looks like a villain... they just would not be able to stand among the normal citizens of Equestria without making the ponies want to keep an eye on them.

But what if, a truly evil pony came along? Obviously an Alicorn makes sense because they would have the magic to back them up when the mane 6 or the princesses came calling. Or what if we went another route.. as I mentioned in the pegasi villain thread... what if instead of extreme power.. they possessed extreme intellect? Truly sinister and manipulative and able to twist virtually everything into their own advantages. This is something we have not seen yet, and I think such a character written well could be more dangerous than any threat Tirek ever posed. And what makes it even more vicious, is they fit right in with the rest of the cast...  every sadistic monster lived next door to someone who "never suspected".

Obviously such a character would have no desire to be "reformed"... they would just want to create misery.

• Brohoof 1

Spoken like someone that's never met anyone that's absolutely unfriendable.

Oh, please don't report me for this, moderator-kun.

I never said that I personally could befriend anyone.

I just refuse to believe that there is such a thing as a person who could not be befriended by anyone.