Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I Think Starlight Glimmer Is A Better Character Then Sunset Shimmer

Tilgoreth

7 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

"Sunset Shimmer. A former student of mine. She began her studies with me not long before Twilight. But when she did not get what she wanted as quickly as she liked, she turned cruel and dishonest."

Yeah but we're given a vague explanation from Celestia that is not told from Sunset's perspective. Meaning that Celestia could be misinterpreting what went down or something else was going on that Celestia didn't know about. After all, she wasn't in Sunset's head.

Starlight on the other hand... Blatantly showed us her past and what she was thinking regarding it.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

Yeah but we're given a vague explanation from Celestia that is not told from Sunset's perspective. Meaning that Celestia could be misinterpreting what went down or something else was going on that Celestia didn't know about. After all, she wasn't in Sunset's head.

Starlight on the other hand... Blatantly showed us her past and what she was thinking regarding it.

Sunsets desire for power, how she found the mirror and what happened to drive her away from Celestia is shown in the comics

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

It showed us part of her past, skipping some pretty massive time periods. It only showed us things that happened when she was a little little kid. And I honestly don't think the logic behind why she was afraid to make more friends is the bad thing about her backstory. I actually think that makes sense for a pony who wasn't portrayed as being all that stable. The problem is we were never shown the escalation point. The moment where she stopped being sad and became a villain. That moment can be speculated about with fan interpretation.

Edited by gingerninja666

(edited)
2 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

It showed us part of her past, skipping some pretty massive time periods. It only showed us things that happened when she was a little little kid. And I honestly don't think the logic behind why she was afraid to make more friends is the bad thing about her backstory. I actually think that makes sense for a pony who wasn't portrayed as being all that stable. The problem is we were never shown the escalation point. The moment where she stopped being sad and became a villain. That moment can be speculated about with fan interpretation.

So is she a "grey" character or not "all that stable" aka "something's wrong with her head"? Her backstory is a pathetic joke. I'm pretty sure at least 90 % of all the people in the world had to suffer more than Starlight Glimmer and less than 1 % of us become maniacs like Starlight Glimmer just because of some bad experiences. And no, I don't think there is more to it. That's it. She lost her only friend and that's why she became a psychopath.

That's why I don't feel sympathy for her. Her motivation for being evil sucks and everyone forgave her way too quickly.

Sunset Shimmer was just extremely selfish and regrets it now. Not really a good motivation either but I at least kind of get it. Starlight Glimmer's motivation on the other hand is just not believable or understandable to me. To me she came off as a weak crybaby who punished the world for her problems to be honest with you.

Edited by COH

1 minute ago, COH said:

So is she a "grey" character or not "all that stable" aka "something's wrong with her head"? Her backstory is a pathetic joke. I'm pretty sure at least 90 % of all the people in the world had to suffer more than Starlight Glimmer and less than 1 % of us become maniacs like Starlight Glimmer just because of some bad experiences. And no, I don't think there is more to it. That's it. She lost her only friend and that's why she became a psychopath.

That's why I don't feel sympathy for her. Her motivation for being evil sucks and everyone forgave her way too quickly.

Sunset Shimmer was just extremely selfish and regrets it now. Not really a good motivation either but I at least kind of get it. Starlight Glimmer's motivation on the other hand is just not believable or understandable to me. To me she came of as a weak crybaby who punished the world for her problems to be honest with you.

Going by the comics my impression is at least part of Sunsets movivation was the belief Celestia was deliberately keeping knowledge she was ready for to herself in order to limit her pupils and keep them weaker than her. Twilight beating her would be a pretty strong indication that Celestia wasn't doing that and help her realise there is a better way.

(edited)
2 hours ago, COH said:

Sunset Shimmer was just extremely selfish and regrets it now. Not really a good motivation either but I at least kind of get it. Starlight Glimmer's motivation on the other hand is just not believable or understandable to me. To me she came off as a weak crybaby who punished the world for her problems to be honest with you.

I think she got stuck in the mindset of being a sad child and she was so powerful she never really had to grow out of it. With most people they need to accept that the world can suck and it can't be helped and you need to move on. Starlight had the power to not have to accept that. She could remove the thing that she thought was hurting her, and ensure that it never happens again. She's a womanchild. Another thing, the situation with Sunburst apparently affected her so badly that the mere idea of seeing him again started to cause PTSD style ringing in her ears. So whatever it was, it was important to her.

Throughout the Cutie Remark she didn't think she was actually causing damage to Equestria. She didn't even believe it was possible. As soon as Twi showed her that she was, Star lost all of her composure and became hysterical. It clearly got to her. And since then I think she has genuinely shown remorse and is massively grateful towards Twilight for all she's done. Especially at this point. For one example, she felt so guilty in A Royal Problem that she experienced a nightmare so bad that Luna thought it might actually cause major harm to Starlight's psyche. In To Where and Back Again she curled up into a ball when her town tried to put her in charge of anything again, because she didn't think she deserved it.

Edited by gingerninja666

1 hour ago, gingerninja666 said:

In To Where and Back Again she curled up into a ball when her town tried to put her in charge of anything again again, because she didn't think she deserved it.

Huh I got the impression it was more she was terrified if she started making decisions she'd fall back into her old evil way's more than anything else.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Senko said:

Huh I got the impression it was more she was terrified if she started making decisions she'd fall back into her old evil way's more than anything else.

That might have been part of it, yeah. I just remembered the line where she said "I was horrible when I ruled that town!" which would make more sense with what you said.

Edited by gingerninja666