Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports Future of American Football.

CastletonSnob

I think it will, though I think they run the risk of losing some viewership and fanbase. The NFL and college football are currently running with the idea that their growth will continue to be exponential, and they're taking actions based on that notion. I think they're starting to see cracks in their "impenetrable" armor, but they're not wanting to see it yet. MLB made huge mistakes doing this years ago, and they let football creep up on them and surpass them. The same could easily happen with football, but much like baseball their biggest liability is their believed invincibility.

I think that it would still be around in the many years to come. With all of the dedicated fan bases for various teams across the leagues, money shouldn't be a problem. But, on the topic of concussions the NFL would have to invest in better helmet technology and maybe tone some stuff down, but I still think that American football will be around for many years to come.

I can't really see anything that would take it down a few pegs, let alone replace it. The only things I could think of causing problems, are losses from relocated teams. Both the Rams and the...ugh...chargers.... are now in L.A., a place with a far from stellar history with football. Anyone who watches football in LA, is from somewhere else, and are fans of another team. There's also the matter of the raiders moving to Las Vegas, a place unproven as a viable market. 

Abandoning loyal fanbases and leaving ownership of teams to individuals can cost the league big in the future. Having teams go public like the Packers have been, is a more secure path. 

Abandoning loyal fanbases and leaving ownership of teams to individuals can cost the league big in the future. Having teams go public like the Packers have been, is a more secure path. 

The thing is, the NFL requires a team to be owned by one person or a small group of people. The only reason the Packers are owned by Green Bay is because they were like that before that rule came into place, so they got an exemption. But they might change that rule to let more teams be community owned if the circumstances require it.

• Brohoof 1

The thing is, the NFL requires a team to be owned by one person or a small group of people. The only reason the Packers are owned by Green Bay is because they were like that before that rule came into place, so they got an exemption. But they might change that rule to let more teams be community owned if the circumstances require it.

That would be a bigger step in securing a teams viability. Let the city buy the rights to the team from the franchise owner. That way, the fans are happy, the former owners get a huge paycheck, and there isn't a risk of a team's sales bombing in a new territory.