Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Police Seize Over Half A Million Counterfeit Pokemon Plushies

Denim&Venöm

You can't make this up. South Korean Police uncovered $6.27 billion worth of counterfeit Pokemon merch that was set to be distributed to claw

grab machines across the country. 

Don't believe me?

• Brohoof 1

Sounds about right. The production cost of a plushie is negligible, with IP rights and markup at each stage of the channel (and taxes of course, always taxes) making up the bulk of the price. In some cases, the "counterfeit" merch even comes from the same factory, just without paying for the IP (and using fake tags in place of the genuine ones)

(edited)
2 hours ago, LugiaFan249 said:

Those are counterfeit? They look pretty good!

Counterfeit doesn't always mean bad. A good Counterfeit is also indistinguishable from a licensed product.

I'm not sure if I should be amazed or not that there's a market for this...

Edited by PoisonClaw

1 minute ago, PoisonClaw said:

Counterfeit doesn't always mean bad. A good Counterfeit is also indistinguishable from a licensed product.

I'm not sure if I shouldon't be amazed or not that there's a market foresearch this...

I am just amazed enough people win at those claw machines they need to refill them :D

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

They seem pretty well done, lol, but holy moly 6 billion is a lot.

Edited by Guest

crane game plushies have always been fakies or unofficial merch. Last year Denz won 2 eeveeloution pokedolls from a game and they were clearly very fake, def those ones you see on ebay a lot for like $2. Still cute though. 

Thats kinda a shame with the fakie stuff at this quality, the Real Pokemon Center merch is really expensive and hard to get across the world unless you know how and where to look for them (seriously when they get to a year old, the price rockets - Arcanine is now at least $80 for one). So if you have a kid who really really wants a gyrados or ninetales, you either fork out a ton for a real PC one, or track down a cheaper bootleg that looks the same. 

6 mil is a looooot of pokemon.