• Nightmare Moon
    • Discord
    • Queen Chrysalis
    • Sombra
    • Tirek
    • Starlight Glimmer
    • Sunset Shimmer
    • The Sirens

Who do you think was the most evil? For the purposes of this discussion, 'evil' means most ruthless, heartless, and with the fewest ethics, not the most powerful, or had the best plan.

Mostly just want to hear everyone's thoughts

Edit: Somehow, Sombra's option was deleted from the most evil poll, it's now fixed

Edited by ShootingStar159

Personally, I think Tirek is most evil, purely because of how much magic he stole from the ponies in Equestria and how close he was to actually winning if it weren't for Rainbow Power Ex Machina.

Sunset Shimmer is least evil to me mostly because her villain plan wasn't exactly the brightest, and she has absolutely no trace of evil left now :lol:

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, -Monoceros- said:

Personally, I think Tirek is most evil, purely because of how much magic he stole from the ponies in Equestria and how close he was to actually winning if it weren't for Rainbow Power Ex Machina.

Sunset Shimmer is least evil to me mostly because her villain plan wasn't exactly the brightest, and she has absolutely no trace of evil left now :lol:

I agree the same.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, -Monoceros- said:

Well, like I said in my post, I'm not asking who had the best plan, because, yeah Sunset was pretty incompetent. That said, I actually put Sunset towards the top of the evil list since she straight up tried to murder Twilight at the end of EG. I think Sunset might be the only villain who was ever shown to go that far.

• Brohoof 1

Discord was the least evil. Tearing the Mane Six's friendship apart was the absolute worst thing he ever did. Beyond that, he wasn't out to enslave or murder ponies. He just thought Equestria was boring and wanted to warp everything with his chaos magic for fun.

• Brohoof 2

Queen chrysalis isn't evil in my view. Sure she has a bad attitude but she has a hive to take care of. She cares for her hive more than anything which is why she attacked equestria to drain magic and energy so her hive could survive I think. 

The least evil would probably have to be Juniper Montage who was just kinda petty and a brat, while the most evil would have to be King Sombra who enslaved an entire empire and laid a thousand year curse upon it.

• Brohoof 3

IMO, Tirek is the most evil one, mostly because of his motivation. For magic and power he was willing to destroy the world.

Discord seems to be the least evil to me, because chaos is not exactly evil, although it may seem so to his victims. And his methods were more fun and entertaining, than ruthless and heartless.

• Brohoof 2

Tirek is pretty evil. He sucks out every pony's energy and leaves them to die. He betrays everybody. And doesn't care about anyone but himself. He even pushed away his brother. However, Starlight Glimmer was the most destructive, however, she wasn't in the right of mind. She wasn't evil, she let her insecurities get to her. The other villains are reformed. Queen Chrysalis was just trying to feed her people, in an aggressive way. But she's stubborn.  Not much is known about Sombra. So, I'll stick with Tirek being the most evil.

Discord is the least evil. He just wanted to have fun. Even though he didn't seem to care about what the other ponies thought. But, Discord is far from evil. Since he had the ability to change, I started to realize that he wasn't truly evil to begin with.

• Brohoof 4

Most evil: Chrysalis -- long-running psychopath (especially in the comics) who even starved her own people for Stockholm purposes and outright refused to be redeemed.

Least evil: Discord -- at worst, he was just a careless jerk.

Edited by A.V.

I still tend to see Sombra as the most evil largely due to enslaving an entire nation of ponies, putting them in states that resemble PTSD, and going so far as to turn Princess Amore in statue and outright SHATTER her to a million pieces. Chrysalis comes close, but Sombra is tops for me.

As for least evil I'm actually going with Starlight Glimmer. As negative of an impact as she had it wasn't due to just being evil. She was afraid of losing those close to her and while her reaction was extreme, it's not due to evil intentions.

• Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

I still tend to see Sombra as the most evil largely due to enslaving an entire nation of ponies, putting them in states that resemble PTSD, and going so far as to turn Princess Amore in statue and outright SHATTER her to a million pieces. Chrysalis comes close, but Sombra is tops for me.

If we're going by the comics, then Sombra actually loses "most evil" points because he -- unlike Chrysalis -- got redeemed in the end and decided to revive Amore.

And even before then, he was ultimately just the Vader to Rabia's Palpatine.

Edited by A.V.

1 minute ago, A.V. said:

If we're going by the comics, then Sombra actually loses "most evil" points because he -- unlike Chrysalis -- got redeemed in the end and decided to revive Amore.

I'm not really counting their redeemed selves at this point; and that's just Sombra actually. Just the acts they committed while in their villainous state; if you will.

Probably Tirek or Sombra as most evil, though Tirek especially as he has no real reason for what he did. For least evil/most understandable is Starlight and Chrysalis. Starlight was able to become redeemed in the end, and I feel like Chrysalis will too. She just wanted to feed the changelings, though she seemed a bit harsh. For some reason I feel there is an explanation she is like that, and there is part of her that is good.

Edited by Foxy Socks
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

The least evil would probably have to be Juniper Montage who was just kinda petty and a brat, while the most evil would have to be King Sombra who enslaved an entire empire and laid a thousand year curse upon it.

Yeah, there's a reason I didn't include Juniper. If I did, I would also have to include Diamond Tiara, Flim and Flam, and the cherry vendor from Putting Your Hoof Down.

Most evil is Sombra, he enslaved an empire. At least Tirek has a Freudian excuse with Scorpan betraying him, and after draining their magic he didn't do anything to harm the ponies. Chrysalis is pretty evil in the comics, but in the show she's more just stubborn, she wants to feed her colony and views stealing love as the only way for them to prosper, and is now enemies with Starlight out of spite. Least evil is Starlight, she was really just misguided and had questionable tactics for pursuing her ideals. Discord might have just been bored, but he still had no qualms about harming ponies if they got in his way, so he's worse than Starlight. Nightmare moon was basically just a temper tantrum, albeit a temper tantrum with much potential for loss of life. Not rating any of the EQ villains as I know nothing about them. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 2

What I don't like about calling a villain the "most" evil, and calling another one the "least" evil is that it really depends on how much you agree with them or not in the first place; the villain you consider the "least evil" is the one you agree with the most, while the "most evil" is the one you thoroughly disagree with the most. Sure, you can count in the fact over just how unjustified or how brainlessly the villain's desires were, but in the mind of the perpretrator, it is ALWAYS justified; they are always seen as the good guy. Technically (before the mess of an episode the newer changelings are now), you could mention that Changelings saw their queen as their one true saviour, their one ticket to actually being branded as more than just a nuisance. It really has to do with a matter of personal opinion, and how much someone personally disagrees with a villain. Personally, I think it's purely unjustified for Tirek to desire power; you're not given a story about why, or any sort of backstory about it, which is why I would consider him the most "evil" villain. I'd consider NMM the "least" evil simply because she wanted nothing but eternal night. Not particularly a pleasant thing, but it can be easily understood because she suffered jealousy straight to her sister, and the night sky was always neglected over the day.

1 minute ago, Looks said:

What I don't like about calling a villain the "most" evil, and calling another one the "least" evil is that it really depends on how much you agree with them or not in the first place; the villain you consider the "least evil" is the one you agree with the most, while the "most evil" is the one you thoroughly disagree with the most. Sure, you can count in the fact over just how unjustified or how brainlessly the villain's desires were, but in the mind of the perpretrator, it is ALWAYS justified; they are always seen as the good guy. Technically (before the mess of an episode the newer changelings are now), you could mention that Changelings saw their queen as their one true saviour, their one ticket to actually being branded as more than just a nuisance. It really has to do with a matter of personal opinion, and how much someone personally disagrees with a villain. Personally, I think it's purely unjustified for Tirek to desire power; you're not given a story about why, or any sort of backstory about it, which is why I would consider him the most "evil" villain. I'd consider NMM the "least" evil simply because she wanted nothing but eternal night. Not particularly a pleasant thing, but it can be easily understood because she suffered jealousy straight to her sister, and the night sky was always neglected over the day.

I mean... that's why I'm asking, to see what everyone's opinion on the matter is. Of course we're all going to have a different opinion, and that's what I want to hear, different opinions.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I mean... that's why I'm asking, to see what everyone's opinion on the matter is. Of course we're all going to have a different opinion, and that's what I want to hear, different opinions.

Guess there was no other way of wording it; either way it'd be interesting to see who's the most/least evil .o.

This poll is missing recent Equestria Girls villains Principal Cinch, Gloriosa Daisy, and Juniper Montage.

Tirek and Sombra are approximately equivalent based on the show itself, given that both care little about the lives of those around them and are willing to do horrific things to other ponies in the name of power. I voted Tirek mostly because the way he discards ponies after draining them implies that he actively doesn't care about anyone else, whereas Sombra at least makes some use of his victims, even if he does enslave them and probably keep them in terrible conditions. 

The rest aren't exactly saints either, to be clear: Chrysalis is a narcissistic war-monger at best, whereas Discord and the Sirens are outright sadists. I believe we're supposed to think Nightmare Moon is just as bad, but the worst things she did seem to be more out of ignorance than malice. And I suspect Sunset Shimmer always had a nice side under the mountains narcissism and pettiness, but her time as a villain wasn't detailed enough to comment either way.

So I have to call Starlight Glimmer the least evil, because even though her methods were horrific, she was genuinely trying to make Equestria a better place, even if her idea of "a better place" was twisted and wrong. She might also have been trying to justify a superiority complex, and her cult had a suspicious power imbalance, but it's clear to me that by the time the main six meet her, she's completely bought into her own rhetoric, which is why she could be talked down from vengeance in the season 6 finale. On at least some level, she's the only villain to be genuinely well-intentioned. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 8/24/2017 at 6:33 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

This poll is missing recent Equestria Girls villains Principal Cinch, Gloriosa Daisy, and Juniper Montage.

Tirek and Sombra are approximately equivalent based on the show itself, given that both care little about the lives of those around them and are willing to do horrific things to other ponies in the name of power. I voted Tirek mostly because the way he discards ponies after draining them implies that he actively doesn't care about anyone else, whereas Sombra at least makes some use of his victims, even if he does enslave them and probably keep them in terrible conditions. 

The rest aren't exactly saints either, to be clear: Chrysalis is a narcissistic war-monger at best, whereas Discord and the Sirens are outright sadists. I believe we're supposed to think Nightmare Moon is just as bad, but the worst things she did seem to be more out of ignorance than malice. And I suspect Sunset Shimmer always had a nice side under the mountains narcissism and pettiness, but her time as a villain wasn't detailed enough to comment either way.

So I have to call Starlight Glimmer the least evil, because even though her methods were horrific, she was genuinely trying to make Equestria a better place, even if her idea of "a better place" was twisted and wrong. She might also have been trying to justify a superiority complex, and her cult had a suspicious power imbalance, but it's clear to me that by the time the main six meet her, she's completely bought into her own rhetoric, which is why she could be talked down from vengeance in the season 6 finale. On at least some level, she's the only villain to be genuinely well-intentioned. 

I didn't include Cinch, Gloriosa, or Juniper because I don't consider them villains, just antagonists. I didn't include Midnight Sparkle for similar reasons. The villains in the poll have all done something bad enough to be considered evil, not just stupid, mean, careless, or incompetent. You're free to disagree, but I don't think any of them did anything severe enough to be considered evil.

Most evil would be Starlight Glimmer. For allowing and creating alternate timelines which allowed multiple instances of who knows what kind of endless destruction from past villains in Equestria to even occur. 

Discord probably for the least evil because he's just messing around and not really hurting anypony to an extent. 

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I didn't include Cinch, Gloriosa, or Juniper because I don't consider them villains, just antagonists. I didn't include Midnight Sparkle for similar reasons. The villains in the poll have all done something bad enough to be considered evil, not just stupid, mean, careless, or incompetent. Your free to disagree, but I don't think any of them did anything severe enough to be considered evil.

I suppose that is a pretty decent definition if you want to cut down on minor antagonists. 

I voted Sombra as most evil because I found slavery to be one of the worst things anyone could suffer, also because we saw on an alternate reality why did he wanted all those slaves... to fight fellow ponies under his control and take control of the rest of Equestria.

For least evil I voted Discord because he seemed to be just a prankster back when he was a villain, he did mischievous deeds on purpose, but mostly to annoy ponies and stopping them to use the elements of harmony.