Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC building: Suggestions please?

PonyOfDespair

I'm in the process of designing a dragon OC for MLP roleplay purposes. I have a general idea of what I want to do but hearing the thoughts of others always helps me get creative. So here's what I have so far, if you have thoughts or ideas to help me add to it then I would appreciate it :)

Name: Knasher ( Knash )

Species: Dragon

Still working on a color scheme but as of now I am interested in a metallic scheme or something involving cool colors along with the concept of blue, black, or purple flames for him to breathe.

Size is just above the height of Celestia on all fours but about 25% longer and bigger in mass. On two legs he's about twice the height of Celestia.

As of now he's sort of a neutral-good character. He's not evil but he is pretty indifferent to anything that doesn't directly impact him negatively. He's always been pretty neutral to most anything which made his fellow dragons ostracize him for his serene behavior, and eventually they migrated without alerting him and he never bothered to try catching up. He doesnt particularly care about the opinions others have of him nor does he take great interest in their lives unless he's gotten to know them. Any day another dragon would spend fighting or terrorizing another, he would spend napping or lava bathing.

That's not to say he's completely undragon-like. He likes to gossip and occasionally spreads a rumor that's sure to start some drama for him to sit back and watch. Seeing others pegged against each other amuses him and he doesn't care if they find out about his deception because of his size and abilities as a dragon. That said, his main object of entertainment is ponies since they stay stationary and he can observe them year round without them pushing him to be more ferocious as his kind would.

He only offers assistance if it somehow benefits him or someone he at least considers an acquaintance begs enough. ( He has a weakness for gems and jewels ) If he's comfortable enough around someone or if he has the energy, he can be rather cocky and teasing. More of a suave, often likeable, douche personality. He's often mock flirtatious.

That's about all I have for him so far. If anyone has any ideas for background or some suggestions for design and character it would be a big help. This is a drawing of what he looks like as of now.

20170726_162729.jpg

Edited by PonyOfDespair
  • Brohoof 2

Before we can get into his character, it would be necessary really to flesh out your headcanons for dragons.  The show doesn't really give us a whole lot to work with, so you'll have to fill in the blanks.  One headcanon I have, right off the bat, is that dragons are immortal.  Twenty three years is nothing to them, and Knash would probably be treated as a child.  For reference, in the Pathfinder roleplaying universe, elves are considered "of age" on their 110th birthday...so yeah.

16 minutes ago, Hazard Time said:

Before we can get into his character, it would be necessary really to flesh out your headcanons for dragons.  The show doesn't really give us a whole lot to work with, so you'll have to fill in the blanks.  One headcanon I have, right off the bat, is that dragons are immortal.  Twenty three years is nothing to them, and Knash would probably be treated as a child.  For reference, in the Pathfinder roleplaying universe, elves are considered "of age" on their 110th birthday...so yeah.

Well I can't say that my headcanon for dragon age COMPLETELY matches that but its similar. I've always believed that age was only important to dragons in size. Even though Spike is only a few years old in canon and is considered a baby, he talks and acts fairly mature, which makes me think they grow up mentally faster than they do physically. Spike has met teenage dragons before and they're fairly close to the size I visualized for Knash if not just a bit smaller. So my headcanon has always been this based on what we've seen of dragons: They mature fast and are expected to by their peers. They're immortal but they never stop growing. A baby can behave like an adult but be smaller than a pony, and an adult dragon will continue to get bigger until it dies by injury or illness. I believe Knash would be acknowledged as mature by other dragons, but yes, be considered a child by the older dragons who trump him in size and can tell how old he really is based on that.

22 hours ago, PonyOfDespair said:

Well I can't say that my headcanon for dragon age COMPLETELY matches that but its similar. I've always believed that age was only important to dragons in size. Even though Spike is only a few years old in canon and is considered a baby, he talks and acts fairly mature, which makes me think they grow up mentally faster than they do physically. Spike has met teenage dragons before and they're fairly close to the size I visualized for Knash if not just a bit smaller. So my headcanon has always been this based on what we've seen of dragons: They mature fast and are expected to by their peers. They're immortal but they never stop growing. A baby can behave like an adult but be smaller than a pony, and an adult dragon will continue to get bigger until it dies by injury or illness. I believe Knash would be acknowledged as mature by other dragons, but yes, be considered a child by the older dragons who trump him in size and can tell how old he really is based on that.

I mean, Spike probably acts and talks maturely because he grew up with Twilight.  The Dragon Quest episode, however, revealed just how immature dragons in his age group typically are and how incapable he is of relating to them.  Judging by that episode and others, the dragon hierarchy is an undeniable example of "might makes right".  The eldest, strongest, and biggest dragons (all of which are synonymous in this case) are always asserting their dominance over the smaller, younger, and weaker dragons.

Having said all this, it would be an interesting idea to make Knash an Omega type.  As opposed to an assertive Alpha and a submissive Beta, it could be possible for a dragon simply to want to cut himself out of the hierarchy and strike out on his own.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Hazard Time said:

I mean, Spike probably acts and talks maturely because he grew up with Twilight.  The Dragon Quest episode, however, revealed just how immature dragons in his age group typically are and how incapable he is of relating to them.  Judging by that episode and others, the dragon hierarchy is an undeniable example of "might makes right".  The eldest, strongest, and biggest dragons (all of which are synonymous in this case) are always asserting their dominance over the smaller, younger, and weaker dragons.

Having said all this, it would be an interesting idea to make Knash an Omega type.  As opposed to an assertive Alpha and a submissive Beta, it could be possible for a dragon simply to want to cut himself out of the hierarchy and strike out on his own.

That's what I said in my post though? He didn't fit in with the more aggressive hatchlings he grew up with and one day they migrated without waking him and he just never really cared enough to go after them. I probably could've specified though that he lingers outside of pony cities and just watches their day to day life because they don't push him to be more dragon like and are grateful that he isn't as malicious as he's expected to be. 

Edited by PonyOfDespair
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, PonyOfDespair said:

That's what I said in my post though? He didn't fit in with the more aggressive hatchlings he grew up with and one day they migrated without waking him and he just never really cared enough to go after them. I probably could've specified though that he lingers outside of pony cities and just watches their day to day life because they don't push him to be more dragon like and are grateful that he isn't as malicious as he's expected to be. 

In that case, I'll move on to another question you had, which was his color palette.  Judging from his personality, I have a few suggestions.  Grey would be an interesting primary color as it symbolizes a sort of neutrality, and if you make it a dark grey, then it adds mystery to it.  Yellow is another color I found fit him, being the color of analytical and clear thought, but how well it would go with grey is not my purview.  

1 hour ago, Hazard Time said:

In that case, I'll move on to another question you had, which was his color palette.  Judging from his personality, I have a few suggestions.  Grey would be an interesting primary color as it symbolizes a sort of neutrality, and if you make it a dark grey, then it adds mystery to it.  Yellow is another color I found fit him, being the color of analytical and clear thought, but how well it would go with grey is not my purview.  

This that's what I was having trouble with. At first I was thinking something metallic, like a silver for the overall scales and like a dull gold for the underbelly and wing webbing, but I wasn't sure because a friend had suggested dark blues and purples. Either way I wanted something dark or dull.