Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler And The Scores Are In

Denim&Venöm

I'm not too worried by the critic scores. The Lego Ninjago Movie, basically my favorite movie, has a 52%. And you know how The Emoji Movie is (yes, I do unironically love and enjoy that film). It was delightful to fans such as myself, and I love things for my own reasons, so I don't care what cynical critics think.

I'm not really surprised that critics - i.e. most likely the only adult neophytes seeing this thing - aren't being sold, because the film is kinda generic and, in my opinion, only captures the show's most superficial qualities. Given the box office response, you can probably look at the Rotten Tomatoes score as the "non-fan, non-parent" opinion, and so I do feel this aggravated response to critics verges on getting upset at people for not liking what you like. That said, now that I've actually read more of the negative reviews, a lot of them are rather unclear and dismissive, but critics don't tend to make up their minds about movies before watching them, so with a few exceptions (Movie Nation and Hollywood Reporter in particular), you could probably view their dismissal as the film not really succeeding in appealing to new audiences. And I dunno, I didn't like this movie, so blanket statements like "generic" and "shrill" don't necessarily seem inaccurate to me. 

Nonetheless, I've definitely seen people whose opinions I respect highly praise films with much worse critical reception than this one, so you really shouldn't take this so seriously. The only thing to really take from the now 50% Rotten Tomatoes score is that this particular film isn't connecting to a wide audience. Is that something to really get upset about? 

• Brohoof 1

On 7-10-2017 at 11:41 PM, Mesme Rize said:

I haven't trusted critics, ever since i heard alot of critics praise PotC: at worlds end, which is the worst pirates movie.

I think I am the only one who thinks this one is the best of the PotC series. :grin:

Every fandom goes through a denial phase when critics trash a movie they're really looking forward to. Inelegant as the wording in their reviews may be, if the movie gave them a reason to like it I'm sure they would have recognized it.

As much as people keep trying to call attention to that high but steadily decreasing audience score (and who knows how many ways that could've been skewed), I don't see it as anything more than an exercise in confirmation bias. Its critical reception and ensuing disappointing box office performance is indicative enough that it's just not what we were hoping it would be, and in time I'm pretty sure most fans will end up accepting that.

Edited by n1029

On 10/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, Denim&Venom said:

As of writing, the critical and audience receptions of the film are as follows: 

Tomatometer score: 57%

Audience score: 91%

Quite the gap between audience and critical scores.  

:P This is why I take anything that a "professional" so-called critic says with the proverbial grain of salt.

And I can't speak for any of the other theaters around the US, but my local one?  (Which has 12 theaters in it, btw.)

When I went to the actual official opening on the 6th, the one that the MLP was showing in was, except for the very front row, absolutely packed!

And it's still being shown over there.

So here's to it scoring huge box office returns!:pinkie:  

Edited by WhitewolfSTR

1 hour ago, WhitewolfSTR said:

So here's to it scoring huge box office returns!:pinkie:  

If what I recently read about the budget ($5-8 million) is true, then it's gotten triple/quadruple returns ($26.1 million -- and still counting).

• 2 months later...

I hate Rotten Tomatoes... The critics are always so negative and serious, they never look at whether a film was fun to watch and they spend so long assessing whether its Oscar worthy that they aren't even able to enjoy films that aren't that well made but are entertaining.

• 8 months later...
On 10/7/2017 at 1:51 PM, Hazard Time said:

unnecessary songs that serve no purpose but to pad out the running time (which is again BS because the story continues to progress for the duration of the song rather than "the story must stop because it's time to sing a little ditty that will have no effect on the plot!")

While I did like the songs, you have to admit that they did cram in the musical numbers a little bit (I think there was like a new song every 10 minutes of the movie, sometimes even less). At the same time, a few of the songs (like the "Time to Be Awesome" song), while relevant to the plot, could have been left out and the movie would still progress naturally.

• Brohoof 1