Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What should I write?

Steel Accord

So, I have a problem. And it's a problem that had stayed with me for as long as I've been a writing. That is, actually writing. It's not that I don't enjoy it, when I get into the swing of writing, it's one of my favorite activities. It's just that, you know Zephyr Breeze? Yeah that's me with writing. I need somepony to keep me on task, I need something to keep me working. I need some form of expectation or goal to meet in order to keep me writing consistently.

So, even though I have a ton of ideas for stories, both original and fanfic, I never sit down to actually write a lot of them and it's honestly painful in my head that this is me. So what I'm going to do is list a bunch of short descriptions for stories and you guys just give me feedback on which you'd like to see and why. Sound good? Thanks ahead of time.

Hooves of Warmth, Hearts of Steel: An MLP/Transformers crossover that has the Decepticons invade and take over Equestria. The Mane Six have to send a signal off world to the Autobots for help and survive with the other ponies being enslaved and Equestria's magic being drained for energy by the Decepticons. Also features varying depictions of the Transformers from different incarnations including the movies, Prime, and Beast Wars.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Weary is the head . . . : A Civilization fanfic mainly focused on the interactions of the leader characters as they progress from the Ancient Era to the Atomic Age. Certain events will echo real historical events and how that's interpreted/implemented/felt by the leaders, but they won't exactly mirror them as some nations began earlier or lasted longer than they historically did. Think of it like Axis Powers Hetalia from a history buff who's never seen, nor plans to ever watch the show.

XCOM: Enemy Mine: ("It's a working title!") Similar to the above, a crossover between Civilization and XCOM. (I've been playing a lot of both, okay?) Basically if the historical mish-mash version of Earth in your typical Civ game got invaded instead of our Earth but likewise had its own version of XCOM to combat the aliens. The protagonists in this case would be special units such as British Redcoats, Roman Legionnaires, Samurai, and the like. And yes, the anachronism is intentional, anyone who's played Civilization can tell you technology progression can be pretty lopsided at times. But the point is that a bunch of historically famous figures or military archetypal badasses band together to defend humanity as a whole from the alien menace.

Kingdom Hearts: Skye's the Limit: Basically a rendering of the game's premise and central story while systematically eliminating everything in it that's not Disney related or themed.

Assassin's Creed: Sins of the Past, Failures of the Future: The story follows Oliver Mason, car dealership employee and the last known descendant of an Assassin aligned knight. He is press ganged into helping the modern Brotherhood by entering the animus and relieving the memories of his ancestor, Joseph Donat, as he fought in the Hundred Years War.

Saggaun: A martial arts heavy, high fantasy story in the vein of the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra. Set in a world of my own creation.

Life and Death: A sort of trashy romance novel version of the courtship between Hades and Persephone.

World of Warcraft: Wei Yu's Journey: A novelized form of my toon, Wei Yu Summerstep, as he leaves his home on the Wandering Isle and travels the world along with his brother, Lu Kwei. Battles fought, friends made, brothers made enemies, loyalties tested.

Megacross: Certainly an . . . ambitious if not insane idea of mine. The story nominally starts as a TF2 fic where our lovable band of maniacs actually manage to save the world, but then the story continues from there time frame to the 80's where Ryu, Guile, Chun-Li, and others in the Street Fighter cast take up the torch of saving the world, and it just goes forward and forward from there.

So which of these do you guys think I should focus on, or focus on first?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

The civilization 5 one sounds cool!

Well, I am actually playing Civ 6 but thank you. I love your 40K thing you got going on. Why though that one in particular? What about it intrigues you?

• Brohoof 1

Thanks, and i think the Civ idea really intrigued me by the fact that you were going to focus on things that would echo real historical events. I like history and also seeing things play out like the 80 years war or other events that have happened before :).

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

Thanks, and i think the Civ idea really intrigued me by the fact that you were going to focus on things that would echo real historical events. I like history and also seeing things play out like the 80 years war or other events that have happened before :).

Yeah, as I write more in my other works I'm beginning to notice that's something of a facet of a signature style I'm developing. That is to say, using history to inform my fiction.

Well, that's one vote for the Civ fic, we'll see if anyone else wants to throw their hat in.

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Saggaun sounds pretty cool. I'm massive avatar fan, so I sure would like to see this. :twi:

Yeah, it's among my original works but my main problem is a total lack of a plot. Thus far it's been a world building project but without any actual story to put in it.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, PiratePony said:

Why not create some original characters?

I have. Quite a few now actually. All of them superheroes and their related casts for a superhero project I'm working on called "Shining City." Underground, the terrain shaping skateboarding crime fighter. The Fearless Final Girl, the horror killer. Dust Devil, the immigrant patriot cowboy lawman. Nephili, the identity of several people when channeling an angel sent by God.

All of them though, I left out of my runnings because they are something I'm saving for later. Saggaun is something original I'd more easily work on now. I have characters for that as well except for the fact that they are almost all posthumous backstory characters.

• Brohoof 2

Hooves of Warmth, Hearts of Steel sounded amazing...of course, that's because it's MLP and Beast Wars that I'm so familiar with.  I can picture the moment where some filly cowers before a big-hearted character like Cheetor or Tigatron, thinking they're about to be eaten, only to discover that they're among friends...!

I wonder what the consequences would be of bringing human militaries (which autobots are often allied with) into something like this---and would Equestria ever be the same after a massive robot war?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Yeah, it's among my original works but my main problem is a total lack of a plot. Thus far it's been a world building project but without any actual story to put in it.

Well, if you have your worldbuilding, you must have legends and kings who lived, so you could write a storie around that. :ooh:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, HereComesTom said:

I wonder what the consequences would be of bringing human militaries (which autobots are often allied with) into something like this---and would Equestria ever be the same after a massive robot war?

Well let me disabuse that notion because Earth doesn’t enter this equation at all. It’s just the ponies and the robots.

16 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Well, if you have your worldbuilding, you must have legends and kings who lived, so you could write a storie around that. :ooh:

I suppose I could. You know how in Game of Thrones they occasionally mention names like Brann the Builder or the Grey King during the Age of Heroes? Or how in Equestria there’s Princess Platinum or Commander Hurricane in their founding legend?

Characters like my own Tutan-Kangxi or Arthurkira are meant to occupy the same place. The precursor heroes that came before our protagonists. I suppose though, in lieu of lacking a present day plot and already having a rough outline of what those characters did, I really don’t have an option for expanding the story besides just diving in.

• Brohoof 3