Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Say something totally random!

Feather Scribbles

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

23 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

Have you filed the proper documents with HR?

HR as in "human resources"? Oh I'm afraid that's long gone. Last I heard from the hairless ape, they blew it all up.

Edited by Cwanky

On 2021-03-11 at 9:27 PM, SuperNESBrony said:

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

One of those debatable things. as much as the FSF wants everyone to call it "GNU/Linux" the GNU components are less than a third of the packages in a core distribution - much is either the linux kernel, or taken from the openbsd/freebsd projects.  The most important contributions of the GNU source are the build system and libraries like glibc - but if you ran those on windows (which you can) you wouldn't suddenly claim it's GNU/Windows.

2 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Technically, autocorrect held you at ransom.

Based upon how badly it misinterprets what I intend to type, it's more accurate to call it "autowrong."

• Brohoof 1

"...And so it came to pass that the Countess, who once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins, was buried alive...And her castle in which so many cruel deeds took place fell rapidly into ruin. Rising over the buried dungeons in that god-forsaken wilderness, a solitary tower, like some monument to Evil, is all that remains.
The Countess' fortune was believed to be divided among the clergy, although some say that more remains unfound, still buried alongside the rotting skulls that bear mute witness to the inhumanity of the human creature."
  • Brohoof 2