gaming What are your thoughts on the Nintendo Switch?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

The Nintendo Sweetch. Been a big success. As someone who loves the 3DS, I was recently thinking of picking up the Switch as my Christmas/Birthday present. I mainly game on ze Xbox One, but I feel like the Switch would be a great system on the side.

Thing is, I am in constant debate with myself. Would it be worth it? Does the system currently provide enough for the price? There's still no virtual console right now. There's not even any apps I don't think! Still! Yet, I am still really wondering about getting one. I would mainly play it in handheld mode, and it seems like an awesome little unit for that purpose.

What do you all think of the system? Do you think it is worth picking up? Pros and cons? Pro controllers and joy cons? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. A friend of mine has one and he showed me it, and it impressed me during the short time I played it.

• Brohoof 1

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

It still can use some work, namely in the terms of western 3rd party games, getting support from 2k/Rockstar(though it could still use GTAV) and Bethesda is really cool, but getting more games from Activision and Ubisoft is still important, I'd love to see CoD WWII on the thing, and a bit of a longshot, but as far as ports I'd love to see the last couple of Transformers games on it, namely War/Fall of Cybertron and Devastation. A few more issues like Nintendo going the paid online route next year(as convincing as $20 per year sounds, Nintendo is in no position to start charging online), a lot of the accessories are overpriced(the Pro Controller feels really good, but the price makes it more expensive than other controllers), as well as the Switch tax on certain games, and memory is still an issue.

On the bright side, this was one of the absolute best years for Nintendo in terms of releases, 2 GotY for Nintendo alone in both BotW and Mario Odyssey, ARMS and Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Mario and Rabbids being better than it had any right to be, as far as 1st party titles go they're really making it worth owning. 3rd party support is looking really promising, with both 2k/Rockstar and Bethesda supporting it(a first for Bethesda), and Japanese and Indie devs seem really excited for it, notably Namco and Square. Being able to take your big games on the go is a real treat and if Nintendo can keep their momentum going in terms of heavy hitting releases and 3rd party support than the future is looking promising. I mean, they already announced a main Pokemon title and Metroid Prime 4, so those alone make it worth taking into interest

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

It still can use some work, namely in the terms of western 3rd party games, getting support from 2k/Rockstar(though it could still use GTAV) and Bethesda is really cool, but getting more games from Activision and Ubisoft is still important, I'd love to see CoD WWII on the thing, and a bit of a longshot, but as far as ports I'd love to see the last couple of Transformers games on it, namely War/Fall of Cybertron and Devastation. A few more issues like Nintendo going the paid online route next year(as convincing as $20 per year sounds, Nintendo is in no position to start charging online), a lot of the accessories are overpriced(the Pro Controller feels really good, but the price makes it more expensive than other controllers), as well as the Switch tax on certain games, and memory is still an issue.

On the bright side, this was one of the absolute best years for Nintendo in terms of releases, 2 GotY for Nintendo alone in both BotW and Mario Odyssey, ARMS and Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Mario and Rabbids being better than it had any right to be, as far as 1st party titles go they're really making it worth owning. 3rd party support is looking really promising, with both 2k/Rockstar and Bethesda supporting it(a first for Bethesda), and Japanese and Indie devs seem really excited for it, notably Namco and Square. Being able to take your big games on the go is a real treat and if Nintendo can keep their momentum going in terms of heavy hitting releases and 3rd party support than the future is looking promising. I mean, they already announced a main Pokemon title and Metroid Prime 4, so those alone make it worth taking into interest

Well said. You make a lot of great points here. The prices on the games is definitely something that is a tad troubling, at least for some like Skyrim and LA Noire, which are cheaper on the more powerful systems. Still, even the thought of playing Skyrim on the go is awesome, among other games like Splatoon.

One thing that irritates me and I am most likely in the minority, is the lack of apps. Considering the Switch is a portable, touch screen console, it not having even Youtube yet is really confusing. Going from playing Skyrim to watching Youtube videos on the same device is something I like the concept of, but Nintendo is slacking on it.

Well, it was one heck of a *switch* alright! Haha, eh.... bad pun there :please:

Anyway, i sadly don't own a nintendo switch, but one of my friends does and he showed me Zelda breath of the wild, and i have to say, the console itself plays very smooth it seems as far as i have seen.

Edited by Mickey Adaptus

Banner2.png

@Kyoshi

For Super Mario Odyessy and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, YES! It was worth it! I've been carrying it around in my Shiekian Slate-style carrying case using a Fanny pack to hold it.

@Baby Dashie

I still own my Wii U in my room! Playing several games from Wii, Wii U, and Virtual Console.

• Brohoof 1

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

I think the Switch looks like it'll have more potential than the Wii U, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Still, the only game on there that I would really want to play as of now is Super Mario Odyssey (I played part of the desert level at a GameStop). I don't think I'll be buying the Switch anytime soon then for only one game.

Can't wait to see if there's going to be a main-series Pokemon game released though. Pretty weird to think about Pokemon games being on consoles and not handhelds!

֍֎֍֎

The most important thing in Video Gaming is if it's fun! Nintendo may now be charging for online gaming, but their system is still cheaper than PS4 and Xbox One and I don't use online gaming! Online streaming, like Netflix and YouTube, yes!

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

I'm loving mine. And I'm really enjoying the 3rd party support as well. I haven't had any consoles or a computer good enough to play a lot of games and finally seeing them come over to a Nintendo console is great

• Brohoof 1

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move,
your job is to plant yourself like a tree next to the river of truth, and tell the whole world
"No, you move."

If you've never owned a Wii U and like Nintendo games, it might be a good buy. But I mean if you have a Wii U, you have some of the Switch's best titles already available to you (Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8). Aside from Super Mario Odyssey, the Switch's exclusive library is not all of that impressive, and is looking to remain that way for the foreseeable future. Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon are coming someday, but they're really going to need to get a more consistent schedule.

But yeah, if you don't have a Wii U, which I'm kind of assuming you don't (but I don't know for sure) then it could have a lot of content for you. And then you would also have an expanding library to look forward to (whenever Nintendo gets that straightened up...).

• Brohoof 1

mlpwoodwinds.jpg
Everything needs more woodwind!

50 minutes ago, Envy said:

If you've never owned a Wii U and like Nintendo games, it might be a good buy. But I mean if you have a Wii U, you have some of the Switch's best titles already available to you (Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8). Aside from Super Mario Odyssey, the Switch's exclusive library is not all of that impressive, and is looking to remain that way for the foreseeable future. Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon are coming someday, but they're really going to need to get a more consistent schedule.

But yeah, if you don't have a Wii U, which I'm kind of assuming you don't (but I don't know for sure) then it could have a lot of content for you. And then you would also have an expanding library to look forward to (whenever Nintendo gets that straightened up...).

I owned a Wii U, but I sold it a couple of years ago. Despite its fairly good library and it being a good system overall, that was a good choice it seems. If Nintendo can focus themselves, get the apps on the system, get their online infrastructure to a good level, and keep the third party support going, then this thing will easily be worth it. That is why I am thinking of maybe getting it now in hopes that is what they will do. It is a gamble, but with how much of a runaway success the Switch has been so far, it seems likely that they can do these things well.

On 11/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Kyoshi said:

The Nintendo Sweetch. Been a big success. As someone who loves the 3DS, I was recently thinking of picking up the Switch as my Christmas/Birthday present. I mainly game on ze Xbox One, but I feel like the Switch would be a great system on the side.

Thing is, I am in constant debate with myself. Would it be worth it? Does the system currently provide enough for the price? There's still no virtual console right now. There's not even any apps I don't think! Still! Yet, I am still really wondering about getting one. I would mainly play it in handheld mode, and it seems like an awesome little unit for that purpose.

What do you all think of the system? Do you think it is worth picking up? Pros and cons? Pro controllers and joy cons? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. A friend of mine has one and he showed me it, and it impressed me during the short time I played it.

I was fortunate enough to be able to track one down right after it came out Nintendo those bastards; making everything they make hard to get). I love mine so much. I mainly got it for Breath of the Wild, which I highly recommend that you check out, but I have discovered many amazing games that I can enjoy alone, and with my friends/family. 

The graphics are stunning, and I haven't really experienced any bugs sofar. For the price, I would say that yes it is extremely worth it. I believe that the Switch does have Netflix and YouTube capabilities, as well as other available applications, but don't quote me on that.

I would recommend that you pick up a Switch with the red and blue joy cons, but that's just for aesthetic purposes. I have the standard grey joy cons, which perform fine, but the red and blue joy cons look a lot cooler, and I would've bought them if I would have had the chance. As for the Pro controller, I think that it is a must have. It makes playing certain games (like Breath of the Wild) easier and more smooth. Especially since you're used to the Xbox controller, the Pro controller will ease your transition to the Switch. 

I have a few gaming recommendations and a few game warnings as well:

Recommend

-Overcooked: Great co-op game. It takes you into a kitchen where you have to use teamwork and communication to complete a variety of tasks. Not for the faint of heart I will say.

-Mario Kart 8 deluxe edition: Everybody loves Mario Kart, and this one is no exception. Also comes with extra characters and tracks.

-Super Mario Odyssey: Any Nintendo fan has to try this game. 

-Skyrim for the Switch: Any Skyrim fans will appreciate the amazing graphics and exclusive content the Switch version gives them.

-Keep in mind that there are only a few games out now for the Switch, and more are on the way!

Discourage you from buying

-1, 2 Switch: Despite what this game is hyped up to be, I hated this game. The minigame design was clunky and rough, and overall just felt weird. I played it for 10 minutes, and then I took it back.

Overall, definitely recommend the Switch. The best place to buy it right now is probably Best Buy. They have a lot of them in right now and some decent sales going on!

• Brohoof 1

Cadance and Staright sig v2.png

Signature Art by: @Kyoshi