Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Who knew Equestria was so helpless and easy to take over?

SkyPie

So y'all know how much magic Equestria has, right? Heck, that was why the villains came, to claim all that sweet Alicorn power. You expect this power to actually be useful to the ponies in at least attempting to fight back when they were attacked. I was legit sitting there scratching my head wondering why none of the princesses or unicorns defended themselves at all. Celestia didn't even the decency to shoot one simple laser beam before she was frozen. I would have been satisfied with at least any of the ponies trying a little! That was why I appreciated Cadance the most. She actually did SOMETHING with that horn of hers. And it's not like the ponies are pacifists, we've seen them hurt others in the show.

• Brohoof 3

The non-Twilight alicorns were just doing their usual jobs, which is to be helpless somehow so Twilight and company can pick up after them. It's a trend that the show loves, unfortunately.

You may have mentioned Cadance as trying, but her case doesn't help her in the long run as she does nothing else of interest in the movie or even in the show.

I still don't know why the option to make the other princesses active supporters hasn't crossed their minds.

• Brohoof 3

I've been saying something similar as well, it always seems like the princesses are liabilities when someone very strong comes along. The best way of conquering Equestria seems to be to use the power of its matriarchy against it. Which hasn't seemed all that difficult so far.

11 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Pink Feather

The Princesses have always seemed useless when their subjects have needed them the most. It's really disappointing, IMO.

I can take their uselessness, but I can't take them stupidly just standing there (Celestia) or trying to run away. It's like they're power is not capable of damaging anybody in their use. Even Twilight's magic was useless. She was just going to stand there and let the ball hit her as well if Rainbow Dash didn't grab her.

11 hours ago, Number62 said:

The non-Twilight alicorns were just doing their usual jobs, which is to be helpless somehow so Twilight and company can pick up after them. It's a trend that the show loves, unfortunately. 

You may have mentioned Cadance as trying, but her case doesn't help her in the long run as she does nothing else of interest in the movie or even in the show.

I still don't know why the option to make the other princesses active supporters hasn't crossed their minds.

At least the show trend had them TRYING. There were times when they were taken by surprise and captured and then there's times when they actually attempt to fight. I'm still fine with them losing but at least TRY.

10 hours ago, Storminess said:

It still makes me wonder why Discord is so OPhax af and the princesses useless foddcakes - but not all the time? ~

Right? It's like they use their magic only when they want to, yet they didn't want to when a big ball of doom was coming at them? 

13 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

I've been saying something similar as well, it always seems like the princesses are liabilities when someone very strong comes along. The best way of conquering Equestria seems to be to use the power of its matriarchy against it. Which hasn't seemed all that difficult so far.

And here I thought Alicorns were the master race and it takes a lot to bring them down.

• Brohoof 2

You'd think that Princess Celestia would wax somepony pretty good - but nah...at least Cadance,Twilight Sparkle, and Shining Armor did work. 

>>P.S. I'm not trying to harp on Princess Celestia really...but damn. 

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Pink Feather said:

I can take their uselessness, but I can't take them stupidly just standing there (Celestia) or trying to run away. It's like they're power is not capable of damaging anybody in their use. Even Twilight's magic was useless. She was just going to stand there and let the ball hit her as well if Rainbow Dash didn't grab her.

6 hours ago, Pink Feather said:

At least the show trend had them TRYING. There were times when they were taken by surprise and captured and then there's times when they actually attempt to fight. I'm still fine with them losing but at least TRY.

I'm more annoyed by their uselessness because then I have to wonder why they still exist at this point. I suppose it's better to try and fail than not try at all, but a "beautiful" failure is still a failure, and the non-Twilight alicorns have more failures than successes. And the praises thrown toward those other alicorns become meaningless if those praises never actually support the idea of those alicorns being supposedly useful.

6 hours ago, Storminess said:

You'd think that Princess Celestia would wax somepony pretty good - but nah...at least Cadance,Twilight Sparkle, and Shining Armor did work. 

>>P.S. I'm not trying to harp on Princess Celestia really...but damn. 

I used to be a defender of Celestia's uselessness, but I can't justify it at this point because it's really just bad storytelling. The writers have no idea what to do with the alicorns not named Twilight.

• Brohoof 2

Pointed this out in another thread, but the ponies wouldn't have been so defenseless had the royal guard actually showed up and did their jobs. 

Though I wouldn't call Equestria defenseless as much as Canterlot was. A city is one thing. An entire nation is another. 

If Equestria were so easy to take over, Tirek, Sombra, Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis would've done it already.

• Brohoof 1

i mean, theres two reasons for this:

1) Its a G-rated movie. And last time i checked, G-rated films and epic battles arent the perfect recipe. I do agree she couldve done something, but like i said, theres only so much you can do in g rated.

2) its more for the plot. Get twilight and the mane 6 something to do, show them that they are still the faces of equestia.

• Brohoof 2

Literally my biggest complaint about the movie. The fact that the creators are so dedicated to making the princesses not "steal the spotlight" that they seem to forget to make them act like actual real individuals. And it drives me INSANE.

Cadence jumps in an tries to block. Good job. She doesn't make it, but she tried. That's fine.

BUT THEN THE CELESTIAL SISTERS JUST STAND THERE LIKE SITTING DUCKS!!

You're stand right in the path of your attacker, frickin MOVE!! Attack, retreat, SOMETHING PLEASE!!

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

i mean, theres two reasons for this:

1) Its a G-rated movie. And last time i checked, G-rated films and epic battles arent the perfect recipe. I do agree she couldve done something, but like i said, theres only so much you can do in g rated.

2) its more for the plot. Get twilight and the mane 6 something to do, show them that they are still the faces of equestia.

1) I guess it's bad for the kids to see ponies fighting but not the pirates and the hypogriffs?

2) The three princesses can still get caught and have the mane 6 be the saviours, but don't let them go down without a fight. 

24 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

Equestria isn't easy to take over, The Storm King caught them by surprise.

They had a whole conversation with Tempest to get themselves ready. It's not like the enemies came and then immediately started attacking.

5 minutes ago, Pink Feather said:

It's not like the enemies came and then immediately started attacking.

That would have been AMAZING if they did. As in amazingly gripping and intriguingly dark. Imagine it now...

The clouds get dark, and the ponies all look into the sky and see the airships floating into view.

They get just close enough, and Twilight, standing next to the rest of the Princesses, sees Tempest standing on the bow of the lead ship.

"Is that... a unicor-"

She attacks. A green orb suddenly rockets towards the Princesses. Cadence reacts first and tries to defend, but fails and is crystalized. And the storm creatures begin jumping off the ships and storming the city. Ponies flee and scream, and guards are ganged up on and overwhelmed.

Luna charges Tempest in to a rage at Cadence's fall, Celestia shouting at her to come back. Luna tries to blast Tempest, who dodges over and over. Tempest manages to get behind her and hits her with a crystal curse. She struggles, but is crystalized on the bow of the ship.

Tempest turns to the two remaining Princesses, only to see Celestia galloping away, Twilight in tow, the ReMane close behind.

"AFTER THEM!!"

Celestia gallops down the streets, blasting Storm Creatures out of her way, Twilight on her back.

"Princess Celestia, where are we going? What are we going to do?"

"Twilight, listen to me! Go south, beyond the badlands! Seek help from the Queen of the Hippo- ARGH!!"

A blast hits the ground the front of them, throwing Celestia off her feet, and Twilight flying forward. Celestia shakes the stars out of her eyes, and starts to get up, but-

"Goodnight, your Highness..."

Celestia whips her head around as a crystaline orb flies towards towards her...

Twilight and her friends run for the bridge, and Tempest confronts them. Cue a chance to hint at Tempest's desire for the alicorn's magic. Then the girls fall into the river and the movie continues as normal.

• Brohoof 1

On 11/29/2017 at 6:54 PM, Fennekin said:

Its a G-rated movie. And last time i checked, G-rated films and epic battles arent the perfect recipe. I do agree she couldve done something, but like i said, theres only so much you can do in g rated.

Where I live the movie is pg for some reason... and some battles did occur 

6 minutes ago, Mlppotterwhoovian said:

Where I live the movie is pg for some reason... and some battles did occur 

Hang on, let me check. Yeah, its pg. However, like i said, theres only so much you can do with mlp, especially considering their target audience.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, Fennekin said:

Hang on, let me check. Yeah, its pg. However, like i said, theres only so much you can do with mlp, especially considering their target audience.

Except the movie had a lot of violence later including Spike burning Storm King’s men, Storm King statue crashing, and other such usually not so MLP action scenes. With all the slavery imagery and other violence, it is hard to understand why they couldn’t do a  little more to have the princesses fighting back.   

In Celestia’s case she had didn’t expect anything to break through her shield, but the others?  

5 minutes ago, tazmy said:

Except the movie had a lot of violence later including Spike burning Storm King’s men, Storm King statue crashing, and other such usually not so MLP action scenes. With all the slavery imagery and other violence, it is hard to understand why they couldn’t do a  little more to have the princesses fighting back.   

In Celestia’s case she had didn’t expect anything to break through her shield, but the others?  

Well, to simply put it, if the princess fsught back, what purpose would be in the movie?

None, that would be it. Because there would be no point if the princesses werent "captured"

Edited by Fennekin

5 minutes ago, tazmy said:

I think you meant Cadence. I WISH they’d had Celestia put up a shield instead OF STAND THERE LIKE A BUMP ON A LOG.

Just now, Fennekin said:

Well, to simply put it, if the princess fsught back, what purpose would be in the movie?

None, that would be it. Because there would be no point if the princesses werent "captured"

Please refer to my response above where I wrote an alternate way this scene could have played out. They can fight a little THEN be captured. Instead creators just had Celestia, Luna, and Twilight stand there like gormless idiots.

3 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I think you meant Cadence. I WISH they’d had Celestia put up a shield instead OF STAND THERE LIKE A BUMP ON A LOG.

Please refer to my response above where I wrote an alternate way this scene could have played out. They can fight a little THEN be captured. Instead creators just had Celestia, Luna, and Twilight stand there like gormless idiots.

Well, i havnt gotten to that part yet (THANKS EAR INFECTION) however, i dont work for hasbro so i cant tell you their reasoning. (Sorry i am just having the time of my life here)

• Brohoof 1

On 12/3/2017 at 3:10 PM, Jade The Pegasister said:

I hate it, it’s almost a plot cliche thing for mlp now, when twilight needs to take action suddenly the princesses don’t know how to defend themselves 

just so that the plot and story can move on 

True, the plot felt kind of rushed , but the show is still good :) ps. Liked season 4 the best :) 

• Brohoof 1