Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A question regarding personas

SunriseGlimmer

Okay, so my friend recently told me that they are blocking me from a particular social media that we chatted on (we still talk in email) because they use that site to escape their human persona, and them knowing someone who is a human on there (aka me) made them feel uncomfortable. I don't quite get this... Does anyone know what it means? (All of it, I mean.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we met IRL, but now we only talk online. To quote them, "I am blocking you on _________. Do not take this personally, but I use _________ to escape my human persona, and having known someone as a human who talks to me on there as a human has made me feel uncomfortable."

Edited by SunriseGlimmer

Could be a personal issue they're dealing with or they just like to keep social media separate. Might have friends, family, or other people they don't want to mix with fandoms/other online culture if it's not just a personal thing.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse

Not enough detail from their end, but it sounds like she’s an otherkin or someone with some other kind of non-human “alter ego”. She goes on that site to escape into a fantasy world and pretend her actual reality doesn’t exist. With you being a flesh and blood piece of her actual reality, your mere presence seems to be keeping her from totally immersing herself into her fantasies.

Now that’s just my theory into why she’s acting this way. Understanding it doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s still really stupid.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Not enough detail from their end, but it sounds like she’s an otherkin or someone with some other kind of non-human “alter ego”. She goes on that site to escape into a fantasy world and pretend her actual reality doesn’t exist. With you being a flesh and blood piece of her actual reality, your mere presence seems to be keeping her from totally immersing herself into her fantasies.

Now that’s just my theory into why she’s acting this way. Understanding it doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s still really stupid.

In other words, being friends with an otherkin is not a good idea?

39 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I forgot to mention that they often say (regarding themselves): The Dead God Lives.

11 minutes ago, SunriseGlimmer said:

In other words, being friends with an otherkin is not a good idea?

It’s not so much about her being an otherkin as it is she’s so wrapped up in this fantasy world that she’s cutting out real people to try and preserve it.

That’s were I personally draw the line. You can have all the quirks and fantasies you want, but when you start neglecting or cutting out real people for the sake of these quirks, then that’s not cool. From what it sounds like, you were just trying to talk with her (you know, like a FRIEND does), and she cut you off because your status as a *GASP* real human being dared interrupt her fantasyland.

Again, I don’t have her said of the story, but if that’s actually what happened, then that’s not cool.

Just now, ShadOBabe said:

It’s not so much about her being an otherkin as it is she’s so wrapped up in this fantasy world that she’s cutting out real people to try and preserve it.

That’s were I personally draw the line. You can have all the quirks and fantasies you want, but when you start neglecting or cutting out real people for the sake of these quirks, then that’s not cool. From what it sounds like, you were just trying to talk with her (you know, like a FRIEND does), and she cut you off because your status as a *GASP* real human being dared interrupt her fantasyland.

Again, I don’t have her said of the story, but if that’s actually what happened, then that’s not cool.

That would explain why she was avoiding me on purpose.

To be honest I feel exactly like that. It is the reason I don't use Facebook or sites like that where the profile is connected to my physical self.

To shed some light into the situation I think the reason for this kind of behaviour is that the person in question feels 'chained' using something that connect to their physical self because it is limiting somehow how they are able to express themselves. 

Without the constraint of a physical self you can discover who you are without the constraints that the physical body binds you into. That is something that I discovered when I joined here I saw that I could be free and not chained into who I was physically.

I didn't have the history that made me the way I am physically I could start from fresh new table. It took some time to realize that but it is something that I want to hold on even if I know it is an illusion. 

It is something that I want to be one day physically as well a goal so to speak.

I would've blocked you too if I was in that situation when you are in that state as it can be quite fragile depending on the circumstances  that led you to that particular situation. 

Anything that connects the illusion to reality is uncomfortable if you haven't gathered enough strength  to go through it. Images, names, voice etc. Sometimes even instant messages.  

I went through the same thing back in the MLPF MCM 2014 or 2015 don't remember.

I hope I was able to provide some information on this subject from another perspective.