Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Batman or Spiderman

Brobot

Spider-Man has had better movies IMHO, but I haven't seen the older Batman movies.  I haven't read the comics by the way.  However, the Batman Arkham and Telltale games have shown me that the Nolan films suck and aren't worth talking about, and the new DC Universe Batman is an even bigger waste of the character's potential.  I look forward to Insomniac's Spider-Man game as it may do for Spider-Man what the Arkham games did for Batman, which is, give a more comprehensive sampling of the world of Spider-Man and its cast, including various villains.

In any case, I say, Marvel over DC, but Batman over other heroes, including Spider-Man.  From what little I've seen of the actual comics, Batman would be my jam if I actually decided to get into reading comics, but Marvel has a much larger quantity of heroes that I actually care about if I were to get into a franchise.  It's 99% the Arkham and Telltale games that have sold me on Batman, but I like what I've seen.

Batman is hardly the only "superhero" without powers, as Marvel has plenty, but I think Batman captures the duality of the double-life of a superhero slightly better than most, and the tough decisions Batman has to make on a regular basis.  I think it comes down to how Batman is written, where character is emphasized over powers.  Superman is really strong, but I hate Superman because I find him to be one of the most boring characters I've ever come across.  I also think Bruce Wayne reflects a lot more on his actions than, say, Tony Stark (who's the closest Marvel equivalent I can think of).  That, and he has a moral code that he sticks to regarding not killing, which I respect.  I just like Batman's brand of vigilante justice.  He's also a really rich guy who's fit, well-trained and has above-average intelligence and reasoning skills, which I respect.  I also really like Batman's cast of heroes and villains, and side characters.

Spider-Man is a decent hero in his own right, although IMHO Spider-Gwen is proof that Peter Parker is a terrible character if he doesn't get bitten by the spider.  On a side note, it makes no sense that she would call herself Spider-Gwen, but I'm over-analyzing.  Main-series Spider-Man is alright by hero standards.  I just don't think he's as cool as Batman.  Maybe I just haven't had as much chance to get to know Spider-Man/Peter Parker as a character, but although my impression is he's an alright character (so long as he becomes Spider-Man), I just prefer Batman/Bruce Wayne.  Spider-Man has a decent cast of characters, including villains, but most of the villains could be defined as people who had something sciency happen to them, whereas at least Batman's villains have more variety.  I mean, I guess that's Poison Ivy's backstory too, but that's acceptable as at least that trope isn't nearly as overused in Batman.  I suppose there are Venom and Carnage, who provide a little variety for Spider-Man's cast of antagonists.  I'm going to have to give the edge to Batman though.

• 2 years later...

While I grew up on Batman TAS, that's the only good thing he has over Spiderman. Comics should still have an air of optimism and enthusiasm and Batman lost that long ago. I'm not saying go back to the 60s and 70s campyness. But it's also clear that Frank Miller and Chris Nolan took the character down a darker tone that the franchise hasn't recovered from. It's depressing. Super hero comics are meant to be an escape from a cold world, not a reinforcement of it. The DCAU Batman is the only one that's managed to strike that balance between Gothic and optimistic. And because of that, I've got to say Spidey is the better hero overall. He's more relatable. Acts more like a good guy. Despite all he goes through, he doesn't lose hope. Less brutal than Batman. And is an overall better role model than Batman. While both heroes suffered through tragedy, Bruce Wayne feels like a character that's taking revenge on the city that wronged him, while Peter Parker has the power to better his city, an thus the responsibility to do so. Don't get me wrong. Both characters are noble at heart. Just that Spider-man feels like the more heroic of the two. 

• Brohoof 1

I've been never so deep into superheroes, but I got one: Batman

I pick definitely Batman over Spiderman or even Superman. Sorry, I like this guy from Gotham :)