Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Have you ever worked in charitable organization? Any hints for a newcomer?

Divine plywood

This is something I have been pondering for a while now.

While I would say that I'm quite busy individual and sometimes it feels that there aren't enough hours in the day, I still would like start doing voluntary work of some sort in some non-profit charitable organization during my past time. I try to give money for charity as often as I can, but let's face it, I have to eat too. My labour would be far more helpful than those occasional pennies I can share...

Is there someone who have experience of such work? What I have heard, in US 'soup kitchens' are relatively common way for kind people to help underprivileged. Well, we really don't have those here in the north, covernment has that thing pretty much covered. What I have been thinking is working as a duty officer in helping phones for kids, taking part of those street patrols which help and watch over young teens who are out partying in night-time, helping immigrants acculture and so on. I have took part on couple introduction events of various charity organisations, but none of their tasks did feel like something I would have time or resources for.

If you guys have any experience of voluntary work, I would be really interested to hear more about it! :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

I have done some voluntary work, but it's mostly assisting with Christmas charities; collecting, organizing and distributing food, clothes and toys to people in need during the holidays. I can usually find this kind of thing through the newspaper or online starting in November and I make the necessary arrangements to schedule my participation from there. It often occupies every minute I can spare at that time of year but it's extremely rewarding. 

Aside from making occasional donations, that's the extent of my charitable work unless I have time to participate in VoluntEars (which is part of the company I work for), and they do a lot of local community work. To be honest, I seldom manage that though. 

Remember that anything and everything is helpful. So if you're looking for an area to focus your participation, any of the ones you mentioned is good. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Divine plywood said:

I have thoughted about taking part on similar Christmas charities you mentioned for several years now, but often I have been too busy (lousy excuse)

The right thing will announce itself when the time is right. Don't worry, you'll find the right match. ;)

• Brohoof 1

@TBD What kind of volunteers do you mean? Here where I live hospitals are pretty much no-go from anyone else than the staff and relatives of the patiens.

There are some people who visit in hospitals and cheer up the patiens by singing and playing to them. There are also these 'hospital-clowns' who perform to the sick children. But I fear that if I would try to play guitar or do magic tricks, the effect would be the opposite and patiens would become even more sick than what they already were :-P

1 hour ago, Divine plywood said:

@TBD What kind of volunteers do you mean? Here where I live hospitals are pretty much no-go from anyone else than the staff and relatives of the patiens.

There are some people who visit in hospitals and cheer up the patiens by singing and playing to them. There are also these 'hospital-clowns' who perform to the sick children. But I fear that if I would try to play guitar or do magic tricks, the effect would be the opposite and patiens would become even more sick than what they already were :-P

Well that's just depends on the hospital. Some allowed you to volunteer at the mental health, ER, front desk or at the floors.  I'm not sure what your hospital will offer, that you will have to ask them.  Where I volunteered, is at the floors and at the ER. At the floors, I work as the evaluator for "fall risk patient". That part you'll get to interact with patients. The ER is not so much, I just restock. But if you're lucky and asks someone at the floor that you want to volunteer at where the fun is, someone will be happy to task it to you to help them. So if I were you, if you wants hands-on working with patients, I would ask about it at the volunteer office. Since each hospitals should have one.

So hospitals in your country (I'm guessing you live in US) let absolute strangers with no formal education or qualification of any sort inside the hospital and let them interact with mental-health patients and get their hands on the hospital's property? Man, that sounds crazy to be honest! :wau: 

I get it, it's much cheaper to outsource laborius and simple jobs like restocking. It's only sweet that people want to help, but think about all the possible risks. At the best, using  an outside help is far less efficient and more time-consuming than hiring actual trained professionals. What if one of those voluntary workers have hidden motives? You don't know them, their back-round, crime register and so on. Where's the proof that they won't start hurting people or stealing stuff when they first get the chance? What if some patient attacks on them, who's to blame? In case of fire or some other emergency, the building would be loaded with people who may not even know where the neares emergency-exit is.

I could go on forever... That system sounds just ludicrous! Still, it's better than having constant shortage of workers, I guess... Since your hospitals are taking voluntary workers, it was really nice from you to help them out. And it was really interesting to learn that this kind of system even existed. But as cool and fun as working in hospital might sound, there's no chance what so ever that it would be allowed in here :P

Edited by Divine plywood

• 1 year later...

Never even thought about it. I like working together as a unit.... But it never really happened.

"Let's work together for a better world!" <- Something like that. :huh:

• Brohoof 1