Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the animation style in gen 4 is so popular

LucasB

I feel like the reason many people love gen 4 is due to the animation. The ponies doesn't look like toys or dolls. Many concept arts, previous generations and other cartoons often make their cartoon characters too realistic or too shiny, making it literally look like animated toys. The thing about ponies is that they don't look unnatural, yet their heads look nothing like real horses. It's like a brand new species.

When we look at other kids cartoons, the characters look out of proportion. They exaggerate something to far. Sure, it's an art style many appreciate, but it just feels unnatural and not very tangible. The ponies and even Equestria girls look incredibly well balanced. They look sleek, smooth but detailed, cute and everything is extremely fluently animated.

Another thing about animating these ponies, is that they are ponies. They don't have arms, meaning one less thing to pose. Posing arms in good positions takes work, and often does not have the prettiest result (although Equestria girls handled them well).

Also, the ponies have completely plain colors with no shadows and shading, which in a way makes them pop out from the background. The fact that the animations are created with simple smooth lines rather than fancy art styles makes them pop out further.

Thinking about it, MLP actually looks incredibly not girly. All typical girly things like long, exaggerated legs, fancy eyes, long shiny hair and skinny bodies are not actually canon. MLP is pretty neutral when it comes to body shapes. Doing so makes them feel more intimate. 

Welp, just my thoughts. I just looked at some concept art for gen 5 and thought they looked too much like toys, here a pic. I know this isn't official but I guess it's still good to discuss what we want to see. 

Edited by PathfinderCS
Removed leaked asset
  • Brohoof 2

Don't forget how much effort goes into animating those over-the-top facial expressions. As well as just about any visual gag done by Pinkie Pie and Discord. Those gags easily showcase some of the best animation the show has to offer in my humble opinion.

• Brohoof 1

@Artica

Just an FYI; we do not allow the posting of leaked assets from Hasbro here. You're not in trouble or anything; just keep that in mind. :)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Artica said:

Thinking about it, MLP actually looks incredibly not girly. All typical girly things like long, exaggerated legs, fancy eyes, long shiny hair and skinny bodies are not actually canon. MLP is pretty neutral when it comes to body shapes. Doing so makes them feel more intimate.

Not sure that isn't true for the EqG models though; they seem to have unnaturally thin, long legs, almost anime-sized eyes (on the girls of course; as with anime, boys have more naturally proportioned eyes), skinny bodies and of course magically lengthened, shiny hair...

• 1 year later...