Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Did Spike struggle living in Canterlot?

FlareGun45

I mean being a dragon living in a pony world would have it's disadvantages, and knowing how uptight and discriminal the Canterlot ponies would be, so I would say he did struggle in his younger years, and only Twilight would stand up for him.

Could that be why he's connected with Twilight and not wanting to leave her side, cause of that? I mean I would think they'd do a story like this sometime soon, which could lead to how Spike can reform Cozy Glow, if she has a similar problem - orphaned and outcasted. Only difference is, one had someone to defend them and the other had nopony.

Spike did not appear to begin having struggles with his identity in a pony world until Dragon Quest, and always, the focus of his character conflict has been about his trials with the fact that he is a dragon being raised by ponies, not the town he grew up in. The story you'd like to see happen some time soon is kind of already being done, even counting what you are suggesting about him possibly reforming Cozy Glow. Don't forget The Times They are a Changeling, where Spike got Thorax to fully reform. ;)

• Brohoof 1

From the very few glimpses into Spike's early life we've had, it doesn't appear so. In Friendship is Magic #40, we don't really see any reactions to the fact that a dragon is living in Canterlot (other than how annoying he could be as a baby but that's all babies), and "Amending Fences" showed us that he had good friends even before moving to Ponyville.

I think his problems started around "Dragon Quest", I can't really recall him ever getting frustrated or annoyed at his dragon lineage until then.

• Brohoof 1

I think he probably feels more at home with the ponies than he does with the dragons. That's the impression I get. With the dragons there always seems to be a lot of head-butting, clashing egos and demands that he prove himself in one way or another. The ponies never require him to be anything but what he is and he has never seemed out of place or uncomfortable around them. To think there's ever been tension over his being a dragon among ponies in Canterlot seems unfounded.