Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did we lost the ability to resize images?

BornAgainBrony

I could've sworn this used to be a thing, which was convenient because it enabled us to put thumbnails of pictures into posts that weren't overbearing, without needing to resize them first in an external editor. Users also had the option to click on those images if they wanted to see the full size version. You just attached an image into the post, and then dragged on the corner to set it to an appropriate size. Am I just imagining this, or did we actually have this. And if so, why did it get removed?

Short answer to the question in the title: No

Personally I have never dragged images on the corner to resize them, so I can't even tell if that indeed was a thing, and if it was, when it was removed. I can only say, that if that actually was a thing, it was removed a pretty long time ago, definitely not recently. Unless it was a some sort of plugin, it apparently was removed with one of the updates, by software devs.

You can still resize images by double clicking them. A window with settings will pop out, allowing you to adjust the dimensions:

Spoiler

1ny8qZB.png

The "Size" refers to the preview/thumbnail. The full image will be displayed upon clicking it.

It applies to both, attachments and off-site images (pasting url).

It's the same on mobile devices. Double tapping on an image will reveal its settings.

38 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I just used this feature with a non Admin account so I know it still works. Can you link or share the specific image @BornAgainBrony

@Rikifive figured it out. Maybe it was something firefox had at the time or some weird update with the forum software. At least during the World Cup I'm sure I was simply clicking on images and manually resizing. Then noticed recently that clicking on images didn't have the corner drag boxes anymore, and I figured the functionality was completely gone. Having to type in the dimensions still isn't exactly better, but at least it's still there. The idea of double-clicking the images never occurred to me, though I suspect I tried right-click to see if there were some extra options.

46 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

@Rikifive figured it out. Maybe it was something firefox had at the time or some weird update with the forum software. At least during the World Cup I'm sure I was simply clicking on images and manually resizing. Then noticed recently that clicking on images didn't have the corner drag boxes anymore, and I figured the functionality was completely gone. Having to type in the dimensions still isn't exactly better, but at least it's still there. The idea of double-clicking the images never occurred to me, though I suspect I tried right-click to see if there were some extra options.

Wait. You used to be able to resize images by dragging them?

*flips through manual frantically

DBEEDDCE-35B0-453C-8A69-0C5137D4004E.gif

Few months ago there was another member, who asked me about this - he mentioned exactly the same thing and also uses Firefox if I recall correctly. I use Chrome and never saw it. Perhaps I just happened to not pay attention to it, though considering how often I work with images, I think I should have noticed that. :ooh: No idea, honestly. I feel like it could be a thing, but don't recall it.

On a side note, to bring the editor's context menu, hold control while right-clicking. Otherwise it opens the browser's context menu. There happens to be that option.

kRWKbY0.png

You can also remove links from text via that context menu, instead of double-clicking links to view their settings, where you could click 'Remove Link'.

• 2 weeks later...

no, you can resize images on pc as rikifive explained by pressing ctrl + right click

and on mobile you double click the image you wish to resize 

and one more thing....

you forgot to close the thread as answered :P

• The topic was locked

Forgot not really, but with that it looks like this thread has served its purpose, so I'll be locking it now, marking as answered. Thank you for visiting Canterlot. jBKh2oU.png