Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Florida Dorian

Angle Alastor

Now for some meteorological talk about the storm for those that wanna know about it or those that live in Florida and the Bahamas (if anyone here is from there). This is the latest as of 2PM EDT

• Maximum sustained winds: 185 MPH (295 KM/H)
  • Location: Made landfall over Grand Abaco Island in the Bahamas or 185 miles (295 KMs) east of West Palm Beach, FL
  • Movement west at 7 MPH (11 KM/H)
  • Minimum pressure 911 MB
  • Hurricane Warnings in effect for NW Bahamas excluding Andros Island
  • Hurricane Watch in effect for Andros Island (Bahamas) and Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Brevard Counties in Florida. 
  • Tropical Storm Warning for Coastal Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, and Indian River counties in Florida
  • Tropical Storm Watch for Lake Okeechobee (Florida) and Coastal Broward, Inland and western Palm Beach, Okeechobee, Hendry, Highlands, Osceola, Polk, and Highlands counties in Florida. 
  • Brohoof 3

This is basically just going to be a repeat of Matthew, from the looks of it...maybe slightly worse though because Dorian is stronger than Matthew was. The cone of uncertainty still looms over my area (I live in east Flagler County) so we're still on high alert for a direct hit. Many areas in my county have already evacuated.

The Bahamas are getting slammed as we speak. Prayers going out for them <3 

• Brohoof 3

Every time I see Dorian I can only think of the Dorian mode in music (or the Dorian region of ancient Greece). Interesting name.

Anyway, sorry, that's irrelevant. I remember a week ago when they were talking about it, and talking like it wouldn't be a big deal at all. Now it's a Category 5 Hurricane. o.o These things are so common nowadays it's a bit scary. I thankfully don't live anywhere near Florida or the other potentially effected areas, but I hope everyone is able to stay safe.

• Brohoof 1

Here's the 5PM advisory. Not much have changed really except for its location, new watches and warnings, and that it slowed down some more. 

• Location: 95 miles (150 KMs) east of Freeport, Bahamas or 175 miles (280 KMs) East of West Palm Beach, FL
  • Speed: West at 5 MPH (7 KM/H)
  • Winds still at 185 MPH (295 KM/H)
  • Central pressure: 910 MB
  • HURRICANE WARNING now for Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Brevard Counties in Florida
  • HURRICANE WATCH now for Volusia County, Florida
  • TROPICAL STORM WATCH for Lake, Orange, Seminole and Inland Volusia counties in FL

Path as of the 5PM update:
cone graphic

• Brohoof 2

Here I am with the 8PM ET update of the hurricane. A new track of the storm will be released at 11PM EDT. There's no changes with the watches and warnings from 5PM.

• Location: 75 miles (120 KMs) east of Freeport, Bahamas or 155 miles (250 KMs) East of West Palm Beach, FL
  • Maximum sustained winds is 185 MPH (195 KM/h)
  • Movement west at 5 mph (7 KM/H)
  • Pressure 915 MB (up from 910 MB 3 hours ago which means some weakening)

• Brohoof 1

834413948_imageproxy(3).png.2561867fdb0717aaeae23a40e47dc133.png

8 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I caught wind my county has been put under hurricane watch. 

Yeah it is. And I'd like to point out the cone on these prediction maps that everyone seems to think is supposed to be where the edge of the storm will be is actually where the eye could go. So saying it won't go inland is a bold statement.

Edited by Cyclone1066

Damn. Kudos to people who live down there in the Bahamas or Florida or wherever gets hit a lot by hurricanes. We in the Pacific Northwest don't really think about how nice it is to not have Mother Nature sneeze on us every year. :p

52 minutes ago, Cyclone1066 said:

Yeah it is. And if like to point out the cone on these prediction maps that everyone seems to think is supposed to be where the edge of the storm will be is actually where the eye could go. So saying it won't go inland is a bold statement.

Yeah, it's possible it will change course suddenly and give me a hug. Irma came at me at the last moment. She was only a category 1 hurricane by then, but I still had to hide in the dark for a few hours.

Better get your lucky charms together, Lucky. I'm sure you're in for a rougher ride than me.

Also, we have two "Cyclones" in a hurricane topic. Lel.

3 hours ago, Cyclone1066 said:

834413948_imageproxy(3).png.2561867fdb0717aaeae23a40e47dc133.png

Yeah it is. And if like to point out the cone on these prediction maps that everyone seems to think is supposed to be where the edge of the storm will be is actually where the eye could go. So saying it won't go inland is a bold statement.

I know. That's what I was talking about in my first post in this thread: "the cone of uncertainty still looms over my area"

I haven't had a chance to look at the 5AM advisory 

9 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I know. That's what I was talking about in my first post in this thread: "the cone of uncertainty still looms over my area"

I haven't had a chance to look at the 5AM advisory 

My biggest concern is it’s speed. At this rate, it won’t affect in my area, but it has the potential danger to suddenly change direction and come here. Worst of all, if it reaches landfall, the damage will accumulate in the coast.

Update: here in Orlando, heavy clouds have been visible all day long from southeast, and now, they have all reached my area. They are also moving in a circular manner. Ok, the party is gonna start soon

Edited by Steve Piranha

Looks like the landfall wasn't as bad as predicted, at least here in the US. The islands got buttfucked pretty hard though.

But hey, at least there's days of warning when these things loom overhead. I live where the wind will getcha without warning.

• 4 years later...
On 2019-09-01 at 5:07 PM, Twisted Cyclone 🚓 said:

Here's the 5PM advisory. Not much have changed really except for its location, new watches and warnings, and that it slowed down some more. 

• Location: 95 miles (150 KMs) east of Freeport, Bahamas or 175 miles (280 KMs) East of West Palm Beach, FL
  • Speed: West at 5 MPH (7 KM/H)
  • Winds still at 185 MPH (295 KM/H)
  • Central pressure: 910 MB
  • HURRICANE WARNING now for Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Brevard Counties in Florida
  • HURRICANE WATCH now for Volusia County, Florida
  • TROPICAL STORM WATCH for Lake, Orange, Seminole and Inland Volusia counties in FL

Path as of the 5PM update:
cone graphic

Looking at this image from 5 years, horrifying to think back on it:sunny: