Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cozy Glow: The one unexplained villain

MovieLord101

We all have one villain of this show, one-off or otherwise, that we could consider a disappointment. For me, this would be Cozy Glow. Why? One BIG reason: she's the ONLY villain who's motivations have NEVER been explained! And yes, I looked at the remaining episodes and I've found NOTHING. Yeah, she wanted to become empress of friendship or some junk......but WHY?

Let's take a quick rundown of every villain to date up till this point and their motives (leaving out Equetria Girls-related characters for simplicity's sake): Nightmare Moon (aka Best Princess Luna) was jealous that her duties regarding the night were not being appreciated. Discord, the least evil of them all, just wanted to have fun at everyone's expense. Chrysalis was nothing more than a parasite who CLAIMED her people were suffering when her greed was the cause of that all along. Tirek and the Storm King were both would-be conquerors, so that's easy to buy. Starlight and Tempest were both misguided ponies who let childhood problems or trauma (no matter how easy to fix they were in Starlight's case, of course) get the better of them. Stygian fell to darkness because Starswill and the other Pilars of Equestria neglected him and looked down on him a la Anakin Skywalker. Cozy Glow? She was just a pegasus filly who stole everypony's magic to make herself powerful because......the Cool-Aid Man is red, i guess (props if you get which online critic I'm referencing there)?

Seriously, is there an official answer as to why she went or were they trying to keep that vague on purpose? I've asked Big Jim on Twitter, but haven't heard anything yet! Otherwise, what do you guys think is the answer?

Is absolute power not reason enough? (Not that her plan would ever have got her it, but she was crazy enough to think it would.)

Oh, and wouldn't this be better in the Season 9 spoiler area? It's not like Cozy's story is finished as far as official releases go.

Edited by Latecomer
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

Is absolute power not reason enough?

I already stated that's what she wanted but I meant WHY? No mention is ever made of her parents, which you'd think would be important given her age. Or was she just a bad seed? Is this just gonna be Scootaloo all over again where we all assumed she was an orphan until the head honchos had to clarify that her parents WERE alive and just elsewhere?

Edited by MovieLord101

Just now, Latecomer said:

I don't know about her parents, but I don't think I want them to be any more or less than ordinary ponies. Why can't she just be like that?

That's perfectly fine. But again, as i said in the original posts, all the other villains had explained motives, no matter how simple. Cozy's the odd one out. Not even 1-2 lines of dialogue. The writers had 2 seasons to do this and the writers didn't even bother. Even if it was something as simple as she was bullied into her behavior would suffice; think Apple Bloom if SHE went bad, for example. THAT'S what they could've said! But, no.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, but i don't want her behaviour to be a reaction to others like that. She stated her motives clearly enough. If they don't make sense, its' just because you're not a megalomaniacal filly.

All i recall was her say was she wanted to be empress of friendship. Was there anything i forgot?

Yep - ultimate power through her warped idea of friendship. And the end of magic too - she might have some kind of issue with it, or it might just be a practical thing.

I suspect an issue, a la Starlight, just one that'll probably never be explained unless the creators say otherwise.

Well given how "well" they handled Starlight's backstory, as well as Diamond Tiara's motivation, I was positively in fear of them even trying to explain Cozy's past.

Maybe the writers were too nervous to come up with anything, given how the fanbase treated THOSE reveals. Again, WE in general might be at fault here for lack of elaboration.....

Just now, Cwanky said:

I think The Dark Knight best explains Cozy Glow:

Fair point. I can believe that. And in that context, that's kinda messed up to make a TDK Joker-esque villain out of a little girl. That's some Omen stuff right there.

1 minute ago, MovieLord101 said:

Maybe the writers were too nervous to come up with anything, given how the fanbase treated THOSE reveals. Again, WE in general might be at fault here for lack of elaboration.....

Perhaps. But really, why does she need any?

Perhaps. But really, why does she need any?

Like i said, all the other villains got one except her. I get the feeling they MIGHT'VE considered one, but given the unfair backlash to Stygian, Diamond Tiara and Starlight's explanations, they had to quietly backpedal on one.

Just now, MovieLord101 said:

Fair point. I can believe that. And in that context, that's kinda messed up to make a TDK Joker-esque villain out of a little girl. That's some Omen stuff right there.

It's not that bad. Cozy's worldview is one of stable world under her rule. (of course, her methods would destroy it in the process - but smart as she is, she is just a kid.)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

It's not that bad. Cozy's worldview is one of stable world under her rule. (of course, her methods would destroy it in the process - but smart as she is, she is just a kid.)

Another factor that might serve as an explanation: could it be she hates magic because she's a pegasus and therefore couldn't use it?

It's a possibility - note that the drain she set up didn't seem to be stealing flight or generic pony magic, so she probably set an exception based on herself.

If you're looking for one possible factor, she seems to be both very small and very smart for her age, which would probably lead to her being frequently underestimated and babied.

• Brohoof 1

It's a possibility - note that the drain she set up didn't seem to be stealing flight or generic pony magic, so she probably set an exception based on herself.

If you're looking for one possible factor, she seems to be both very small and very smart for her age, which would probably lead to her being frequently underestimated and babied.

So basically, she's Scootaloo if SHE went bad, then? I was close.

Well if you want to get a touch more psychological, a friend of mine suggested she could be a psychopathic narcissist. More ego and selfishness than Trixe and less morals and empathy than Discord.

Edited by Latecomer
  • Brohoof 1

Well if you want to get a touch more psychological, a friend of mine suggested she could be a psychopathic narcissist. More ego and selfishness than Trixe and less morals and empathy than Discord.

I can believe that.

46 minutes ago, MovieLord101 said:

Nightmare Moon (aka Best Princess Luna) was jealous that her duties regarding the night were not being appreciated. Discord, the least evil of them all, just wanted to have fun at everyone's expense. Chrysalis was nothing more than a parasite who CLAIMED her people were suffering when her greed was the cause of that all along. Tirek and the Storm King were both would-be conquerors, so that's easy to buy. Starlight and Tempest were both misguided ponies who let childhood problems or trauma (no matter how easy to fix they were in Starlight's case, of course) get the better of them. Stygian fell to darkness because Starswill and the other Pilars of Equestria neglected him and looked down on him a la Anakin Skywalker.

Comic Sombra just wanted to lead a normal life, but his Umbrum heritage kept ruining that until he finally snapped and decided he might as well get his money's worth out of his "destiny." :(

S9 Sombra... was Terl (Battlefield Earth) 2.0. :unamused:

Edited by Anti-Villain

Just now, Anti-Villain said:

Comic Sombra just wanted to lead a normal life, but his Umbrum heritage kept ruining that until he finally snapped and decided that he might as well get his money's worth out of his "destiny." :(

S9 Sombra... was Terl (Battlefield Earth) 2.0. :unamused:

"While you were still learning how to SPELL YOUR OWN NAME....I was being trained to CONQUER KINGDOMS!"

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

You know part of Cozy's goal was to rid Equestria of its magic forever. You have to wonder why the hell Tirek would agree to help her do that!?

Tirek probably just sad "F it, why not?"

Edited by MovieLord101