Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the show was Y7/G/PG rated

Plonkett

Let's imagine if the show was TV-Y7 or TV-G rated, and the highest the show could possibly go would be TV-PG. What kind of content do you think the show could get away with in each rating? What could we see in a PG rating as opposed to a G or Y7 rating, and vice versa?

We already have a PG-rated movie, which kind of showed us what the show would be like if it was TV-Y7. The movie had slave trafficking, death ("death"?), and a penis joke. :Thorax: Surprisingly, the show has similar examples of all three of those things too, so I think a TV-Y7/TV-PG show would give us more violence and crass humor. :Tempest:

• Brohoof 2

Would probably be more like the movie to some extent, though we use a different rating system where I live, so it would still be G anyway haha!

I don't want the series to ever be as dark and edgy as certain Sonic games (Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc...) but admittedly, I wouldn't mind a new MLP series that puts more emphasis on being a family show than FiM and has some more mature moments and jokes only older people will get at times. Of course not too much of it. It getting a PG rating where I live would be very surprising though.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

We already have a PG-rated movie, which kind of showed us what the show would be like if it was TV-Y7. The movie had slave trafficking, death ("death"?), and a penis joke. :Thorax: Surprisingly, the show has similar examples of all three of those things too, so I think a TV-Y7/TV-PG show would give us more violence and crass humor. :Tempest:

Honestly the only reason The Movie was rated PG is because it's almost impossible to get a G rating nowadays, standards for getting a PG rating are a lot easier, unless you were a movie aimed at preschoolers or were a really tame documentary. Had the movie come out 10 or 15 years ago it would have easily gotten a G rating

As for the show getting a higher rating, it get away with a bit more in regards to humor, and maaaaaaaaybe it might be able to get away with more mature themes, but otherwise it probably wouldn't be any more different from Equestria Girls which is already TV-Y7

• Brohoof 1

A higher rating would allow the show to expand the lesson of friendship in more ways and not handle it with kiddie gloves. Like helping a friend get over an addiction that controls their life. Rainbow Dash loses to a Pegasus that's been juicing. Rarity gets stalked by some creepy pony in love with her. 

I'm not that familiar with the American system, but I believe the show did go up in rating between "Return of Harmony" and "Lesson Zero", and the difference is somewhat notable in the latter episode.

A higher rating would probably allow more in the way of violence and death - the former would probably not be a good thing, but the latter might be. Given the commercial nature of the show, i doubt we would see any greater degree of controversial content.

• Brohoof 1