Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Svengallop be reformed?

Splashee

Always wondered if Svengallop can be reformed? If he can learn to be a good and nice pony? What do you think? What is his problems to begin with? Who is he based on? Some fictional character?

Svengallop_ID_S5E24.png

• Brohoof 2

As a Rara lover I would love to say no, but it's a more complicated than a simple yes or no.

"What is his problems to begin with? Who is he based on? Some fictional character?"

He's literally based off normal celebrity managers, although he is ruder than most. He's right about many things though. The profession of music is a tough one to stay in. One day you can be number 1, the next day you could be trash that no one remembers. Managers like him are often as important as the singer them self, since they work towards keeping the singer at the top. Sure, he took advantage of people, but that's pretty average in the human world. Not so much in the pony world, so that's why people consider him to be a villain. But the truth is that he'll fit right in as a human. 

In terms of the reformation, FIM literally shows that anyone can be reformed. Huge villains like Discord have been reformed, so I can imagine Svengallop being reformed. Then again, some humans never change their stripes, so he might never change. 

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

He's literally based off normal celebrity managers, although he is ruder than most.

Probably some of that, but you would assume from the name, that Svengali is involved somehow..

57 minutes ago, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

In terms of the reformation, FIM literally shows that anyone can be reformed. Huge villains like Discord have been reformed, so I can imagine Svengallop being reformed. Then again, some humans never change their stripes, so he might never change. 

Really, you would need to reform the industry that supports and rewards characters like that. We need a #metoo for Equestrians...

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

that Svengali is involved somehow

Wow, that's a character I didn't know about! Interesting!

1 hour ago, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

normal celebrity managers

When I think about bad managers, I think about that one who took care of Brian Wilson from The Beach Boys. That was a real scary thing!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

One thing every single reformed villain or antagonist have in common is having any degree of remorse. Once Discord realized he took advantage of FS in Keep Calm, he felt awful and turned the environment back to normal.

Svengallop never showed any. After AJ and friends caught him using Coloratura's celebrity status to prop himself up and request a spa reservation, he doubled down, continued to verbally assault her, and held his head high as he left the stage. He didn't care if he was manipulating her or stealing her fame for himself. If he had another chance to determine whether to let her have her charity event or steal her fame for himself, he would choose the latter without a second thought.

Honestly, he's one of those antagonists where I can't see him reforming.

2 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

Wow, that's a character I didn't know about! Interesting!

Svengali was where Amy Keating Rogers came up with Svengallop's name, and the word itself means a person who controls and bullies with malicious intent.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

If Diamond Tiara, Starlight Glimmer and Tempest Shadow can reform, I don't see why he can't.

By logic, yes. But I think @Dark Qiviut had a great point as well :)

I usually go by logic myself.

18 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Svengali was where Amy Keating Rogers came up with Svengallop's name, and the word itself means a person who controls and bullies with malicious intent.

Oh, that's some cool information, thanks for sharing! :o

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

By logic, yes. But I think @Dark Qiviut had a great point as well :)

I usually go by logic myself.

Well, they could have made an extra episode where Svengallop starts to show a sign of remorse. That's what happened to Diamond Tiara.

Also, He is bad, but I don't see him as past redeemable.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Well, they could have made an extra episode where Svengallop starts to show a sign of remorse. That's what happened to Diamond Tiara.

Lots of characters could have gotten more episodes but sadly Hasbro decided to focus mostly on the Mane 6. I would have preferred more episodes on side characters.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

Lots of characters could have gotten more episodes but sadly Hasbro decided to focus mostly on the Mane 6. I would have preferred more episodes on side characters.

I would have loved extra episodes of Cheerilee, Zecora, Moondancer, Flurry Heart, Mayor Mare.

Coco Pommel and Lightning Dust's episodes were underwhelming, and most of the Daring Do's episodes could have been cut down.

• Brohoof 1

55 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I would have loved extra episodes of Cheerilee, Zecora, Moondancer, Flurry Heart, Mayor Mare.

Coco Pommel and Lightning Dust's episodes were underwhelming, and most of the Daring Do's episodes could have been cut down.

1 hour ago, Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️ said:

Yea, I think we got a taste of how wasteful they were with story telling in the early Season 9, with a lot of episodes based on either the Student 6 (which at that point felt unnecessary as they were basically flawless Mane 6 duplicates), or of the Mane 6.

Many side characters got their spotlight as a "slide show" (including some early Season 1 one time characters and even Sunset Shimmer) in S09E26, and that's where I think I really felt how much potential had been thrown away.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

Yea, I think we got a taste of how wasteful they were with story telling in the early Season 9, with a lot of episodes based on either the Student 6 (which at that point felt unnecessary as they were basically flawless Mane 6 duplicates), or of the Mane 6.

Many side characters got their spotlight as a "slide show" (including some early Season 1 one time characters and even Sunset Shimmer) in S09E26, and that's where I think I really felt how much potential had been thrown away.

Until i saw that slideshow, I hadn't realised that that many characters had appeared in the show. The fact that many of those characters only had 1 episode is kinda depressing, and I do feel like later seasons should have brought back some of those characters.

I personally never liked the Student 6 that much. It would have been fine if they appeared in a few episodes like the Pillars of Equestria did, but instead the Student 6 appeared way too many times, to learn lessons that the Mane 6 had already learnt :wacko:. Those episodes were really boring for me. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

Well, if somepony like Diamond Tiara can be reformed, I don't see why Svengallop can't be.

I don't really understand the reformation of Diamond Tiara other than a plot point to gain cutie marks. But her song was good, I guess that's the only thing that matters

• Brohoof 1