Where is the ocean in Equestria?

windy_prance

We have yet to hear of a seaport city and an ocean in Equestria.

Is it Equestria completely land-locked? Is there such a thing as an ocean in the universe in the first place? Is it even nessesary?

YOUR THOUGHTS!

Well, they have lakes and rivers... but it would be impossible for the sky to be blue if there were not a large body of water in which to reflect the colour, yes?

• Brohoof 3

But it would be impossible for the sky to be blue if there were not a large body of water in which to reflect the colour, yes?

The Day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatters blue light wavelengths from the sun more than they scatter red light wavelengths. If you look towards the sun at sunset, you'll see red and orange colours, as the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight - nothing to do with the ocean. :P

As for the possibility of an ocean within Equestria, seeing as we do know that freshwater rivers and streams exist, it's reasonable to assume that such water bodies would flow into either an ocean, lake, or sea. I suppose we just haven't seen any Equestrian terrain beyond that of the mainland.

• Brohoof 2

The moon controls the tides too, so since the moon/sun work on a normal schedule thanks to Celestia and Luna, it is possible to have an ocean :3 I have little doubt there is 'a' ocean or massive body of water of some kind, however the fact is we have seen a miniscule amount of the world of Equestria, and how far it's boundaries go. We've seen Ponyville/Canterlot that whole area, the Everfree Forest which stretches far enough to the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, and we've seen some things far off from either of these places, like the Dragon Volcano Spike went to in search of his true purpose. If things ever spread out farther, we'll probably be seeing some kind of body of water, to be sure I imagine, or at least a reference to one or something.

(edited)

Well, they have lakes and rivers... but it would be impossible for the sky to be blue if there were not a large body of water in which to reflect the colour, yes?

Not exactly, When sunlight hits the molecules in the atmosphere, the light is absorbed; causing the molecules vibrate and and give off, or 're-emit' the light. Because the molecules vibrate in all directions, the light is emitted in all directions (called 'scattering'). Because the blue wavelength is shorter and more energetic, it reacts much more with the air molecules than the red and yellow wavelengths; which tend to pass straight through, or get absorbed by the atmosphere (which warms the air and gives rise to the world's climate).Because the blue radiation is re-emitted from the air molecules in all directions, and it also gets 'bounced around' from molecule to molecules in this way, it seems to us looking from the ground that the blue light is coming from everywhere; hence the sky seems blue. And of course; we are looking upwards through several kilometres of air; so there are plenty of molecules to scatter the blue light.

TL;DR The sky is blue because light from the sun scatters, Blue light is scattered more than red, so the sky appears blue. the same happens to the ocean in some degree, but in a different process.

BUT on to the topic at hand, according to the episode Hurricane Fluttershy:

[media=]http-~~-//youtu.be/OJkj8GMKQm0[/media]

there's a mountain range to the east and west, and since usually there's either a valley or ocean on the otherside of a mountain range it could be to the west, the east, or they could be in a valley and could be no where near the ocean.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Brohoof 2

Hrm. I suppose it would be fair to assume that there is an ocean somewhere in Equestia. They have the other various bodies of water, even stagnant swamps. So why not? Aswell, while it is not directly related, the presence of the moon in Equestria suggest that they have tides, hence an ocean. The other point is that as far as I know (from earth science in the past) is that all that water has to end up somewhere. True, water evaporates and creates the water cycle, but I somehow doubt that the majority of water would do so in a short enough space of time. Also, the presence of large storms in Ponyville (at least in one episode I believe) has to be the result of a large body of water somewhere. While it may be a massive freshwater lake, oceans are more likely I would think.

(edited)

Given what we do know about various locales, I would infer that the part of Equestria that contains Ponyville, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale are in an area of land similar to the Central Valley in California. I have come to this conclusion based on the contrast of other nearby locales such as Dodge Junction from "The Last Roundup" and Appleloosa from "Over a Barrel".

Ponyville appears to be situated in a lush, fertile valley with various streams and estuaries making it an ideal place for the earth ponies to work the land, as the Apple family does in Sweet Apple Acres. We know that there is a mountain range in the distance, upon which Canterlot is located. Dodge Junction is supposed to be the first stop after Canterlot, as mentioned in "The Last Roundup", and the scenery there is straight out of the wild west with geography similar to what you may find in the Great Basin, which is coincidentally situated east of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. We can only assume that Appleloosa is in the same direction.

Also, in "Dragon Quest", Spike and friends journey through woods and over mountains to reach a volcano crater that is home to the dragons. This is very similar to the geography in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, which does indeed have a few active volcanoes in it. Based on this, I would say that there is likely a bay that reaches into Ponyville Valley similar to San Francisco Bay, and it would be somewhere west of Ponyville.

The only thing that throws me off are the names of the cities that are apparently nearby, which follow after names of East Coast cities. We know from "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" that a rainbow over Ponyville can be clearly seen from Manehattan, and one would be lead to believe that Fillydelphia is nearby since it mentioned twice in the show.

That is just my conjecture, anyways. It is a world of magic, though, so anything is possible.

A picture of California, so you can visualize it (from Wikipedia):

Posted Image

Edited by Espelancer

The Day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatters blue light wavelengths from the sun more than they scatter red light wavelengths. If you look towards the sun at sunset, you'll see red and orange colours, as the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight - nothing to do with the ocean. :P

As for the possibility of an ocean within Equestria, seeing as we do know that freshwater rivers and streams exist, it's reasonable to assume that such water bodies would flow into either an ocean, lake, or sea. I suppose we just haven't seen any Equestrian terrain beyond that of the mainland.

SCIENCE!!! Thank you :,D!

Rivers have to flow to a ocean or other large body of water, saltwater may not exsist, but there would still be lakes with huge surface area in order to cope with evaporating water from hundreds of rivers, or atleast hold all the water until the pegasuses come to gather it

according to many this is the official map :

Posted Image

Equestria is a country, not the entire world. This has been mentioned many times throughout the show.

Because of this fact, Equestria may not have an ocean within its territory.

Given what we do know about various locales, I would infer that the part of Equestria that contains Ponyville, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale are in an area of land similar to the Central Valley in California. I have come to this conclusion based on the contrast of other nearby locales such as Dodge Junction from "The Last Roundup" and Appleloosa from "Over a Barrel".

Ponyville appears to be situated in a lush, fertile valley with various streams and estuaries making it an ideal place for the earth ponies to work the land, as the Apple family does in Sweet Apple Acres. We know that there is a mountain range in the distance, upon which Canterlot is located. Dodge Junction is supposed to be the first stop after Canterlot, as mentioned in "The Last Roundup", and the scenery there is straight out of the wild west with geography similar to what you may find in the Great Basin, which is coincidentally situated east of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. We can only assume that Appleloosa is in the same direction.

Also, in "Dragon Quest", Spike and friends journey through woods and over mountains to reach a volcano crater that is home to the dragons. This is very similar to the geography in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, which does indeed have a few active volcanoes in it. Based on this, I would say that there is likely a bay that reaches into Ponyville Valley similar to San Francisco Bay, and it would be somewhere west of Ponyville.

The only thing that throws me off are the names of the cities that are apparently nearby, which follow after names of East Coast cities. We know from "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" that a rainbow over Ponyville can be clearly seen from Manehattan, and one would be lead to believe that Fillydelphia is nearby since it mentioned twice in the show.

That is just my conjecture, anyways. It is a world of magic, though, so anything is possible.

A picture of California, so you can visualize it (from Wikipedia):

Posted Image

My idea MUST be true then!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is set in a post-apocalyptic Earth where the only inhabitants are ponies, dragons, and other various mythical creatures! :o

• Brohoof 1

There WILL eventually be an episode where they all go to the beach and meet with sea-ponies / do beach related activities.

It's obligatory.

Eagerly awaits the possibility of it

it would be awesome, but i think female ponis in beach clothing would look really werid.

(edited)

The fact that there is a moon in Equestria does NOT in any way imply the existence of tides and therefore an ocean. The ocean would have to exist first, before the moon's gravity could affect it to produce tides. The fact that we have tides is a consequence of the prior existence of both a moon and oceans on Earth. Once could conceive of a planet without oceans that still has a moon. (Indeed, many planets in our own solar system fit these criteria)

PS: I thought the light scattered out of the beams of white (well, slightly yellow, but close enough) light from the sun was everything BUT blue. Or is it the actual blue wavelength that is scattered? I would think the blue light would have to be NOT scattered, so that it could reach our eyes to be perceived. :huh:

Edited by CandidKid