Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [OOC] The Æther Project

Illiad Easle

@Evil Pink One @Illiad Easle @Props Valroa

Back proper after the holiday break now. :)

For a bonus, I added the fourth evergrown on the ship to the mix now. Thorn Weaver, in all her horrendous glory. There's a reason I wrote her as being more sectioned of than the others normally, as she certainly ain't a normal sight. She's a friendly sort though, and keeps to specific area when she is out and about. For instance she doesn't go near any school-related areas. Best not to get into arguments with more sensitive parents. Though she have plenty to do with mixtures and other work anyway, to keep herself well busy.

She's there to go with Briar and Brittle currently, but interact with her if you want. Trust me, she's not evil, and she gives amazing high fours, and tight hugs. :P

@Evil Pink One @Blitz Boom @Props Valroa

Well, I don't really have anything planned for here until they make the final jump. Then I have a few ideas.

There is one idea I could move up, but that would mostly just involve @Props Valroa, and it wouldn't be fair to do a story with them without having something for the other two to participate in as well.

So, any suggestions? Events or problems that we can confront? Have our characters overcome?

@Props Valroa @Illiad Easle @Evil Pink One

I have a few in mind. Like introducing Light proper to Last's group and family, considering his impact on their history, she'd want him to meet them. There's whatever Blitz and Powers are currently working on too.

Brittle... I didn't have anything specific in mind, which is why I had her set up the way I did there, in case for instance Plein wanted to hang out a bit, as she indicated some time earlier. It'd give her a chance to perhaps for the first time, properly meeting Thorn Weaver. An... Experience for sure. Or they could have a chat on what to do after. Perhaps go on an adventure, when they hit the surface proper. Thorn Weaver are in the main dock here, even if she lingers in a more shadowed corner, so anyone could really go and chat her up if they wished to.

There's the whole thing with Light needing to make sure Spiral doesn't toss him from the ship too, and other prep work so to speak, setting up what the various ones are gonna do, once they hit the surface. It'd give a bit of time to story bind things properly, before the next chapter begins, post-descend.

So something to do here, would be simple: You had a plan with @Props Valroa, yes? You can have that going, then I can do something with Light in the meantime, and have Thorn Weaver and Brittle on my end as wild cards, in case any of you have a char you'd want to use on the side there too. :) It'd leave you time to wrap up what you had in mind, @Illiad Easle without making you feel like the rest of us have nothing to do.

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

19 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Well, I don't really have anything planned for here until they make the final jump. Then I have a few ideas.

There is one idea I could move up, but that would mostly just involve @Props Valroa, and it wouldn't be fair to do a story with them without having something for the other two to participate in as well.

So, any suggestions? Events or problems that we can confront? Have our characters overcome?

How's fury btw?

To be honest, it does feel like @Blitz Boom is the only one really invested in this RP continuing, I have gotten the feeling from both @Props Valroa and @Evil Pink One that they wouldn't mind, or might prefer, if the story ended.

If that is the case, I can genuinely say that I am not disappointed. The story we've written so far has already far exceeded my expectations, and has given me plenty of ideas for characters and scenes that I might do in the future, but I'm not going to make any of you stick around and wait for it to happen if you'd rather do other things.

I guess the bigger point is that I'm tired of making all of the creative decisions for this story, which is why I tried to put @Props Valroa in charge for a bit, but that didn't really work out.

In the case that you all are genuinely interested in seeing this story continue, here's some ideas of what I have in mind for the future:

• Light
    • I was really hoping that @Evil Pink One would supply a new character at least to supplement Light, as, due to his power level and apparent lack of concern for those around him, he doesn't get the same freedom as the other characters to move about the Project. Given Light survived in the Void, he'll be the subject of study if Spiral allows it. And if she doesn't, he'll likely be kidnapped by the O-5 for study anyway.
  • Power
    • The addition of the power source gives Power a significant advantage. He'll be able to use this extra energy to visually improve his appearance, which will in turn further boost his confidence. He alone has the information from the aliens, which puts him in the unique position of deciding who gets what information when, and he intends to use that to bolster his reputation with the scientists and manufacturers on the Project as well as with the Children. While he won't depose Console Spell, he'll be able to demonstrate that she is an ineffective leader and win the next election.
    • What I then have in mind is this sort of political back and forth between Power and Spiral, but that can happen now or after the Project returns to its original universe.
  • Aurum
    • Her surrendering her power in order to not hurt others is something that I think was glossed over in the skip, but there weren't really any characters in a position to interact with her about this.
    • After the Project returns to its universe, bringing Avarice with it, I'm planning on several interactions between the two of them.
  • Avarice
    • Avarice will be the major villain after a surprise villain that @Blitz Boom is already aware of, even if they may not know which one it is. Outside of her interactions with Aurum though, I have little planned there.
  • Plein
    • I was hoping to have more opportunities to flesh out Plein, especially paired with Brittle on the ground, so I was disappointed when that section ended so soon and that is why I tried to extend the return.
  • Pom and the other grown children
    • I guess this is another disappointment of mine, that Blitz was the only one who really had their characters grow up on the Project, and the only one to supply younger characters when I asked for them. I wanted to explore a new dynamic with new characters, to see how living on the Project resulted in ponies different from ones you would have picked up off the street in Equestria. Sure, I don't know what that difference really entails, but that is the point of these roleplays, to explore new environments and see how the characters interact with them.

Yeah, so other than the secret villain, those are all my cards on the table.

Whether we try and make something out of them, spin off into a 1x1, or just close the curtains, is up to you.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle @Blitz Boom @Evil Pink One

I will admit that my interest in this RP has been fading, not because of the RP itself but because of my own characters. I do not exactly know what to do with them. Spiral was created out of a small idea that then grew into a larger one, an independent character - one who desired so much power it ended up killing her. But given a second chance at life she realized power wasn't worth seeking, and came into the role of power either way, assuming the role as Consul. She is very much one of the oldest characters mentally on the Project, I would imagine? 

Maud lost her family to Discord's spawn and spent many years having a massive chip on her shoulder over that, as well as wanting revenge on Apollo for saying that she would be killed if she didn't follow through his orders. Afterwards, she more or less stumbled about in the affairs of politics on the Equestrian side before falling back into line as a geologist. Likely will seek upon some sort of teacher role in the future as she believes that she has nothing else to do with her life.

As for Spiral and Power, that would have potential to be an interesting idea, however, I have not had much ideas for what Spiral's ideology and leadership actually entails. I presume that it is her goal to advance the knowledge of the Project and have the same goals as Power, but because Power actually has the knowledge, she wouldn't maintain her spot in the Consul's leadership position and would accept her defeat and retire to pursue some other avenue.

Merlot Cloud, I do not really think I was given much of a chance to do much with her, nor did I really know what to do with her. I lost interest in playing Trixie as well.

So, I'm currently out of ideas for this Roleplay, unfortunately. I would be happy to continue this Roleplay, but with the course it was going at, I was merely just coasting along without much thought of how to continue my characters, as I had no ideas for them.

Either way, this has been the second longest RP I have been involved in on the forums. 3 years at this point, and I am very happy I joined this RP. It is entirely possible I could create or use new characters for the future of this RP, but at that point it may as well be a new Roleplay. And that leads me to me having some of my own ideas for 1x1 RPs in the future, or possible new group RPs with new settings.

I tend to enjoy following along in the RPs more so than creating the world. The trade-walkers and their time being on the strange alien planet was something I thought up on the spot. If it was to be a longer scene, I would have introduced some hostiles and more nuance, but as it felt that the timeframe was limited, I cut out some of my original ideas and just went with something non-offensive that added to the knowledge of the project.

But, I am definitely open to trying new things, just that I have been having some burn out with my characters. If I had to pick one to continue with and focus on, it would be Spiral's political affairs and her loss in the elections, then what she intends to do afterward. As far as I am concerned, Maud's story is pretty much over. She's had many years to cope with the loss of her family, Apollo was deposed, and she did her best to destroy as many spawn she encountered as possible. Now she's entering the later half of her life where she will be more reserved, passing on whatever knowledge she has learned to others. 

So, my position is this - I would rather close the curtain than have a shaky idea for continuing this roleplay. For it to continue in my view, we should have a real solid view of how we wish for it to proceed that can re-invigorate our interest in it. Either that, or we give it a nice conclusion and open something new for us to enjoy. This RP has given me a lot of chances to test out some ideas throughout my 3 years in this RP, and lead me to conclude that probably next time in an RP I won't be playing a canon character, at least to the same extent as this one had. 

Just as some of the previous roleplays had lead me to lose interest in playing the character I named Cali (both because she was too OP, and I had her for many years at that point, so it was time to retire her), it lead to many positive experiences which I hope I lead to some enjoyment for others to read. 

And yes, Spiral would allow Light to be experimented upon. 

• Shocked 1

@Illiad Easle actually i was gonna have another character..... I was waiting for you guys approval.... He was supposed to be an earth pony mechanic.... But thats it. No idea what happened there.

Plus i pmed you and stuff. Its not that i dont care, actually it adds more back ground story in Light verse and what not.

Plus i cant do much "TOO WILD" here, cuz I don't wanna upset the stage already in a way or something? Plus you have plans on the next jump correct? Plus interacting with last is a blast! Get it? @Blitz Boom.

Plus i dont get to interact much with @Props Valroa character much either. And as well as your's too so my character revolves around Last. Plus shes the only one that's interested enough about Light.

Plus if i invest too much... I might end up making it just my story. 

Plus Light right now can only observe and pretty much what happened to Light was uneventful even though i tried to make it interesting, Which Last gives. Hence pretty much that's why @Blitz Boomis invested here and pretty much my character is involved around Last, and hopefully meet Blitz herself again.

I also asked if i can do this or that... But it seems i should hold back is what i felt on the vibe on this story sooo..... Ehh? Im confused at this state😅

6 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

yes, Spiral would allow Light to be experimented upon

Why am i not surprised.:yeahno:

Spiral be Spiral.

@Evil Pink One

I'm sorry if your other planned character slipped through the cracks, these past few months have been especially rough on me, so I wasn't paying the best attention.

If you still want to add in a character, either the one you mentioned or another one, I'd be amenable to that, but I guess it comes down to @Blitz Boom as to whether this story is going anywhere or not.

2 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Evil Pink One

I'm sorry if your other planned character slipped through the cracks, these past few months have been especially rough on me, so I wasn't paying the best attention.

If you still want to add in a character, either the one you mentioned or another one, I'd be amenable to that, but I guess it comes down to @Blitz Boom as to whether this story is going anywhere or not.

I actually just remembered since you talked about it:PIPPIPHURRAY:

Also, i thought you have. " plans"

@Evil Pink One

On 2024-01-11 at 2:19 PM, Evil Pink One said:

Also, i thought you have. " plans"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

@Props Valroa

23 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

I wonder what you think of what I said there, by the way. If you have any new 1x1 ideas you can let me know, as well.

I don't want to commit to too much new stuff during my last semester. We can see how I'm feeling after graduation in April if any new 1x1's should come from this or a related story.

If we do end the story here to pick back up later, that will give enough cool down time so we aren't burned out by the ideas.

@Illiad Easle

Sounds fine to me. I sort of lean in the direction of wanting to do something completely new for a 1x1, though, I would not be opposed to a continuation 1x1 between us involving this storyline. Just that my ideas for my characters for where they currently stand has ran dry, for the current outlook of things.

@Illiad Easle @Evil Pink One @Props Valroa

On 2024-01-11 at 5:25 AM, Illiad Easle said:

To be honest, it does feel like @Blitz Boom is the only one really invested in this RP continuing, I have gotten the feeling from both @Props Valroa and @Evil Pink One that they wouldn't mind, or might prefer, if the story ended.

If that is the case, I can genuinely say that I am not disappointed. The story we've written so far has already far exceeded my expectations, and has given me plenty of ideas for characters and scenes that I might do in the future, but I'm not going to make any of you stick around and wait for it to happen if you'd rather do other things.

I guess the bigger point is that I'm tired of making all of the creative decisions for this story, which is why I tried to put @Props Valroa in charge for a bit, but that didn't really work out.

It's fair then. I just like the setting, and were curious as to what would actually happen, once they'd get back to Equestria. A more sprawling world where if they're splitting up anyway, it'd naturally lead to some places being their own thing to narrate and explore. But I suppose that's something that could potentially be explored in something else beyond this, or I could try and reuse the characters in some other fashion elsewhere.

I like what we've done, but if the consensus is that at the very least this chapter as it were, needs to end, then let it be so. :)

Will say, Plein have some potential as a character, so you should try keep her for some use at another point. On the project though, there ain't a lot. Seems like you've set her up mostly to need to break free from The Æther, and her mother's shadow, to really grow as her own thing.

On 2024-01-11 at 5:51 AM, Props Valroa said:

So, my position is this - I would rather close the curtain than have a shaky idea for continuing this roleplay. For it to continue in my view, we should have a real solid view of how we wish for it to proceed that can re-invigorate our interest in it. Either that, or we give it a nice conclusion and open something new for us to enjoy. This RP has given me a lot of chances to test out some ideas throughout my 3 years in this RP, and lead me to conclude that probably next time in an RP I won't be playing a canon character, at least to the same extent as this one had. 

Just as some of the previous roleplays had lead me to lose interest in playing the character I named Cali (both because she was too OP, and I had her for many years at that point, so it was time to retire her), it lead to many positive experiences which I hope I lead to some enjoyment for others to read. 

And yes, Spiral would allow Light to be experimented upon. 

Fair points. Hard to continue to care much, when you feel burnt out on things. And where your chars is ow does seem a good point to send them off as it were, for the setting we are in. Not much else to do in the last month but some filler and stuff.

On 2024-01-11 at 11:57 AM, Evil Pink One said:

Plus i cant do much "TOO WILD" here, cuz I don't wanna upset the stage already in a way or something? Plus you have plans on the next jump correct? Plus interacting with last is a blast! Get it? @Blitz Boom.

Yeah, I get it. Silly one. :P

On 2024-01-11 at 8:13 PM, Illiad Easle said:

I could, but I think at this point it'd probably be more in another chapter, where they'd branch out if it were. Perhaps with some fresh blood/other chars to fill things. I will admit that it would mostly be a bit of filler *Meet the family* sorta thing I had in mind for here on The Æther.

10 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

If we do end the story here to pick back up later, that will give enough cool down time so we aren't burned out by the ideas.

10 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

Sounds fine to me. I sort of lean in the direction of wanting to do something completely new for a 1x1, though, I would not be opposed to a continuation 1x1 between us involving this storyline. Just that my ideas for my characters for where they currently stand has ran dry, for the current outlook of things.

I'd be game for some 1v1, or a continuation later on with this. I still think we could have something nice, if we went and moved on beyond the limits of The Æther, and down to where everyone could make their own setting, in the overarching world. I had several ideas for instance.

The Evergrown would move out, followed by a few not of their kind, who'd wish to join them. When the seed is planted, higher sentient life in a certain radius, is transformed into evergrown. It is why it is very selective where they plant them, to avoid issues. Comes with the territory, when the seed they spring from, are made of concentrated nature and chaos magic. And the idea would entice a few beings. One of them being having an incurable disease, and hoping that perhaps it would allow him to live. I'd have them wander out, explore the characters for whom they were more in details, and begin actually being able to expand on not just what the evergrown were, but how they will be.

Last and her flock, would ride out too, looking for a place and a cause worth fighting for. Would give ample opportunity to give focus to more war-torn, troubling parts of the world, who'd be desperate enough for fighters to accept a bunch of fanatics. Though if they heard the princesses had come back? Last would want to head out to find Princess Luna too. Not necessarily to offer her services again, but at least for some closure.

Blitz would stay, and thus, The Æther post landing can still be explored, when it comes to how they will settle in in the world, now that they've finally come back.

And then there's Brittle, who'd want to go out and try and find her place, and her hive. Potentially along with Plein, who want to get out there too it sounded like. Gives them some time to both grow from being more or less background characters.

But these are my ideas, that can be used for 1v1's, or a continuation. And if it waited until April, that'd be fine. Gives us time to get fresh ideas and energy. :)

On 2024-01-14 at 7:45 AM, Illiad Easle said:

@Evil Pink One

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

@Props Valroa

I don't want to commit to too much new stuff during my last semester. We can see how I'm feeling after graduation in April if any new 1x1's should come from this or a related story.

CONGRATULATIONS 🎉

Also if you guys want...

Light could all throw you into limbo and you can have your settings.

A restart or remake or something.

You have your own world.:manic-laughter:

@Evil Pink One @Props Valroa @Blitz Boom

Sounds like the consensus is that we close the book here, like the end of a middle book in a trilogy, and we revisit the topic in a few months, like late April / early May, where we then explore the Æther's return to Equis?

If that is indeed the consensus, I'm okay with that. This has been a very good story so far, and I'm sure after a nice break, we can be ready to give it a proper conclusion, maybe with a new group of characters to view the world through fresh eyes? We could even try adding more players if some of our older participants are willing to make a return.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Would be more than willing to continue onward with this RP in late April / early May with a new set of characters. It's unlikely that I will revisit Maud, but it's possible I would continue with Spiral in some capacity. How much time would we skip ahead by? We went ahead by 20 years, for example.

Could maybe see if any new players would be interested when we get around to resuming this RP.

@Props Valroa

We would pick up right before the return, so character introductions would happen, then the project would arrive in Equis.

This also allows for players to play survivors from the bastions or returned equestrians, which is something I've picked up from Five Score.

That is to say, just a few weeks from where the story is now.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle @Evil Pink One @Props Valroa

Seems alright with me.

If anyone when we get to that, want to play a creature (doesn't need to be pony) to be interested in going with the Evergrown, lemme know. :) They don't have to be turned per se, but could just want to go and learn/live in the more nature-rich lifestyle and home they'd have. They'd respect someone following, that wanted to get out of range as it were, before the planting. Though it'll be a painless process if it were. Just setting it out there, in case someone would want more baseline information about evergrown in advance, between now and when we pick up again.

Would be cool if we get get new folks in too. That'd be exciting. :)

• Brohoof 1

May i suggest opening another thread? I noticed that new players would shy away if they see that this one has like 13 pages worth of content. Or that seeing it has started and take fear of being out of the loop etc. thats based on my experience though and my suggestion.

• Hugs 1

@Blitz Boom

I think the Evergrown might be worth putting into their own story , given how different their arc would be from the rest, but we'll see how it plays out.

@Evil Pink One

When it comes time to get it started, I'll make a new thread for it.

@Props Valroa

Spiral has some stuff left to do, yeah, and I think Merlot, as the pilot of the Æther, has some decisions she could make as well, but that's up to you.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

It seems to me like the verdict is that we will wait until April or Early may to let ourselves cool off from this RP for a while to recharge. I would be fine doing Spiral and Merlot again, though, my mood might change when the time rolls around to start up a new thread. Be sure to keep me posted. @Illiad Easle @Blitz Boom 

• Hugs 1