Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Music Question, what is what I'm describing called?

Northern Star

The easiest example I could think of is right at "the greatest spell you'll know" in the last song of MLP, the music "shifts" 3 times, what is that called? 

I know I've heard it in other music before, the multiple "shifts" but I haven't been able to find what that is called, I can find a single shift(or a few different terms for that), but the multiple shifts seem to be something different. I assume it has it's own term anyway. 

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know the song you're describing, but there are multiple ways this can happen - shift in tempo (speed), modulation (change to another key), or chord progressions. I suspect it'd end up being one of the latter two that you're thinking of.

@TheGleaner

Moved to Non-Pony Artwork, as this an inquiry about music in general but not related to MLP outside of using it as an example. Media Discussion is designated for having actual discussions.

1 hour ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

@TheGleaner

Moved to Non-Pony Artwork, as this an inquiry about music in general but not related to MLP outside of using it as an example. Media Discussion is designated for having actual discussions.

Well that's... somewhat confusing...

2 hours ago, Envy said:

I don't know the song you're describing, but there are multiple ways this can happen - shift in tempo (speed), modulation (change to another key), or chord progressions. I suspect it'd end up being one of the latter two that you're thinking of.

From "The Last Problem"..."The Magic of Friendship Grows" I think is what it is called, roughly a minute into it.

I dont think it's a tempo, as it doesn't change speed, any example of modulation I can find doesn't seem as extreme, and I'd have to look into the last one more.