Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does it seem like every male teen likes metalcore?

Goodra

Every?

Stereotypical. You have not heard of me. I like Skillet.

Also, there are orchestral things that I really like, especially if it is a cover of a Skillet song. :3

• Brohoof 1

I was supposed to post a wall of text here but it seemed to serious. So Imma just post a tl;dr instead XP

I'm not a bug fan of metalcore.. some if it are great while some.. err.. didnt quite make it to my taste. I'm more in the lines of Folk, Power and Symphonic.

So yeah.. as long as a certain song fits my taste, then I'm fine with it. Regardless of the genre.

• Brohoof 1

Killswitch Engage is a decent band.....

I think they are my only Metalcore band on my ipod, i havent checked everyone's background though so i could be wrong. I know I got one BFMV song. Though I listen to just about any kind of rock/metal as well as rap/hip-hop/r&b and some electronic genres like dubstep, Jump/Hardstyle, DNB.

Other that, I have to say that not every male teen likes it. Kind of a big assumption to make.

Yes! Killswitch Engage is the exception to my "most metalcore sucks" mindset

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Um...

I listen to Lindsey Stirling, orchestral, pony, some electronic (mostly house and electro swing), parody, and video game music.

There are literally more 8-bit and video game songs on my iPod than "actual songs." As in, I have the complete soundtrack of Cave Story, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, and LoZ OoT on my iPod.

Honestly, I've never even heard of metalcore.

Edited by Vinyl Pon3 Scratch

(edited)

I just like metal in general, really. And I like a ton of other genres as well. But this discussion is about metal, so I'll keep it to that.

My favorite metal genre is by far progressive. I love anything with complicated, technical music, and stuff with real meaning behind the lyrics. Prog fills these both quite nicely.

I also like metal that is fast and relentless. For example, Slayer doesn't really have particularly deep lyrics, but damn do I feel good listening to it. Metallica, Metal Church, Anthrax, Blind Illusion, same story.

Now, I do listen to my fair share of core. I really like SikTh and Shai Hulud, which IIRC are mathcore, but they are also pretty progressive, both lyrically and musically (SikTh is more musically progressive, with Shai Hulud having some pretty damn deep lyrics). I listen to a bit of Ion Dissonance and Converge which are more on the metalcore side of things.

The thing about it is, I do like screaming and other sorts of vocals often associated with core, but I do like to be able to at least understand some of what is being said. WHen the screaming is completely unintelligible, it better have some damn good music behind it or I'm not listening to it. Main reason why I could never get into Dillenger Escape Plan; can't understand a damn thing being said, and the music sounds like somebody had a seizure while holding 3 guitar picks, and then they sped it up in the studio. In other words, it's pretty bad.

But who cares. Symphony X, Ayreon*, and Dream Theater are still the best bands ever. Shadow Gallery is some great prog. I love my Opeth, when I'm feeling deathy, and System of a Down when I want something loud and weird.

*well, Ayreon is technically a project by Arjen Lucassen with a ton of guests artists and not a band, but who cares. Its still amazing. And Arjen himself maintains the Ayreon Facebook page, and I've had a few conversations with him on it :D

Edited by Evilshy

Metalcore is still popular? I thought it died long ago. Huh. Well, I prefer melodeath like Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, Be'lakor, Opeth, October Tide, etc, etc.

I mean I listen to it two but I like a lot of other stuff as well as metalcore. It's even easy to play (most of the time it's just the bass playing a low D (or other deep) note and the guitar hitting the same chord along with it, even the screaming is easy, depending on if your an inhale screamer, exhale screamer, or both) and Ide play it if my band wanted to but they don't (were pretty multi diverse when it comes to music, we play stuff from Rush to Metalica to Coldplay to 30 seconds to mars to guns and roses). I mean, most of the time (I'm not hating on it, I'm just pointing out something) it honestly just sounds like a bunch of immature noise and a screamer talking about how his life sucks (when in reality, it doesn't). So why is this genre so popular (again I'm not hating, I'm just into other genres as well as metalcore)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

Progressive metal is better

Though animals as leaders doesnt have a singer, bands like Periphery, Born of Osiris, and Veil of Maya are like this.

Metalcore is like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack, and they suck too. A Day To Remember was a big one too, its just a cool thing for kids to get into, but I actually play guitar and aspire to write music like these guys once I have the money for software, Axe Effects II and a better guitar. Another things is the "style" that comes with it, like the shirts and hats. But bands like these guys make money off of merch and what not.

• Brohoof 1

http://en.wikipedia....metal_subgenres

Progressive metal is better

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA[/media]

Though animals as leaders doesnt have a singer, bands like Periphery, Born of Osiris, and Veil of Maya are like this.

Metalcore is like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack, and they suck too. A Day To Remember was a big one too, its just a cool thing for kids to get into, but I actually play guitar and aspire to write music like these guys once I have the money for software, Axe Effects II and a better guitar. Another things is the "style" that comes with it, like the shirts and hats. But bands like these guys make money off of merch and what not.

Woah, that guitar is sexy.

(edited)

Yes! Killswitch Engage is the exception to my "most metalcore sucks" mindset

My Brohoofs...TAKE THEM!

They are pure awesome.

I still dont get why everyone hates metalcore though, metal isnt my main genre so it just kinda confuses me why its hated so.

Edited by Kirby

(edited)

But I gotta say, your description of metalcore didn't at all fit with Trivium. You must be confusing metalcore with DEATHcore or something.

They're not Deathcore? They have been described as a Metalcore band (with the exception of one of their albums... can't remember which...)

Edit: The Crusade. That's the exception album.

Edited by NeverNeverland

They're not Deathcore? They have been described as a Metalcore band (with the exception of one of their albums... can't remember which...)

Edit: The Crusade. That's the exception album.

No, I didn't mean Trivium was deathcore. I was saying how Mac's description of metalcore fit deathcore more.

BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WH-

Ahem.

I mean, maybe that was the case earlier on, especially in the mid 00's, but these days, it seems to me people are more into deathcore and easycore bands.

That and dubstep, which I can't really argue with.

I mean I listen to it two but I like a lot of other stuff as well as metalcore. It's even easy to play (most of the time it's just the bass playing a low D (or other deep) note and the guitar hitting the same chord along with it...

Had to post a counter argument song.

This, to me, is what metalcore is supposed to sound like. The off-chords, the constantly changing drum patterns, the wonderful mix of speaking and yelling... gah. One of my favorite bands, please excuse my fangasm.

I never listen to any Hard Rock or Metalcore

I listen to the classics like

Stone Temple Pilots

Queen

ECT

What's ECT? Never heard of them ;)

You like Dire Straits, Journey, and/or Boston? Those three bands, along with Queen make up about 50% of my classics playlists XD

I think its the testosterone. its seems if you aren't into rap it s expected to like some form of metal. IDK i enjoy everything, but happy hardcore techno (Like S3rl and Ravine and all that aussie electro) takes the cake for me

Y'know it's funny. Most people I know that like metalcore are actually female, and maybe one or two males. I have taken many a listen to various metalcore bands, and thought they were okay at best. But eventually I realised how repetitive and boring their songs are.

(edited)

Usually, all metal genres ending in "core" are bad imo.

Edited by MissMachine

Hey hey hey. Wait a minute. I'm a teenage male (just barely; 13), and I am a huge fan of metal. But I tend to lead towards more technical metal, like thrash, math (DEP, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders...), death, and some nu metal. I tend to think of the various "Cores" as stupid fads or scenes, like the bands that label themselves as djent.

Just my opinion.

I'm 16 and male. What is metalcore?

Ok now lets go through my male friends and their musical tastes

Dubstep

Hardstyle

Pop

Rap

Romantic stuff

Reggaeton

Cumbia

Rock

Metal

These are practically even, although maybe the pop and rap are a tad further and the rock and metal a tad below

Hey hey hey. Wait a minute. I'm a teenage male (just barely; 13), and I am a huge fan of metal. But I tend to lead towards more technical metal, like thrash, math (DEP, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders...), death, and some nu metal. I tend to think of the various "Cores" as stupid fads or scenes, like the bands that label themselves as djent.

Just my opinion.

I love DEP. they're the reason I use the name MissMachine. :)