Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ranting About The Grogar twist.

TheUnknownPhantom5

I was surprised by it - I wasn't expecting it to happen and it disappointed me. I wanted and would have loved to see the actual Grogar attack Equestria.

Here's two flaws of the Grogar twist:

1) It was wasted potential. The writers had an opportunity to have Grogar actually return and face the mane six, which would have resulted in an epic battle. The power to resurrect Sombra, the power in the bell, the power to summon Tirek and Cozy Glow from the pits of Tartarus, and the power in his orb that allowed him to see anything happening - all those powers combined would have made him a formidable foe to stand against. He was set up to be the ultimate villain of the series, and only the power of the friendship of all creatures and ponies could defeat him. But that power was wasted, his orb was just thrown aside and his power to resurrect Sombra and summon Tirek and Cozy Glow from Tartarus was completely ignored by the writers and used only once as an obvious plot convenience. The only power that wasn't wasted was the power of his bell.

2) It was poorly executed. Discord could have simply been himself and acted as if he was plotting to betray his friends again, and the result would have been the same - Discord would have been overthrown by the mean three and the mean three would proceed to attack Equestria.

Also, here's an alternate scenario of the Grogar twist: The Grogar twist doesn't happen, the mean three and the real Grogar would attack Equestria and win, the mean three would betray Grogar and lose, the mane six would convince the mean three to join them against Grogar, then every character would come to Equestria's aid along with the reformed mean three and defeat the powerful Grogar.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I was surprised by it - I wasn't expecting it to happen and it disappointed me. I wanted and would have loved to see the actual Grogar attack Equestria.

Here's two flaws of the Grogar twist:

1) It was wasted potential. The writers had an opportunity to have Grogar actually return and face the mane six, which would have resulted in an epic battle. The power to resurrect Sombra, the power in the bell, the power to summon Tirek and Cozy Glow from the pits of Tartarus, and the power in his orb that allowed him to see anything happening - all those powers combined would have made him a formidable foe to stand against. He was set up to be the ultimate villain of the series, and only the power of the friendship of all creatures and ponies could defeat him. But that power was wasted, his orb was just thrown aside and his power to resurrect Sombra and summon Tirek and Cozy Glow from Tartarus was completely ignored by the writers and used only once as an obvious plot convenience. The only power that wasn't wasted was the power of his bell.

2) It was poorly executed. Discord could have simply been himself and acted as if he was plotting to betray his friends again, and the result would have been the same - Discord would have been overthrown by the mean three and the mean three would proceed to attack Equestria.

Also, here's an alternate scenario of the Grogar twist: The Grogar twist doesn't happen, the mean three and the real Grogar would attack Equestria and win, the mean three would betray Grogar and lose, the mane six would convince the mean three to join them against Grogar, then every character would come to Equestria's aid along with the reformed mean three and defeat the powerful Grogar.

Problem I see with it, is yet ANOTHER reformation for the Legion of Doom. Many of us got tired of villain reformations, and not all people can be reformed. Sure, Grogar would have fit the irredeemable villain, but at the expense of redeeming THREE extremely vile villains as well. Chrysalis reformed? Hell no

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

I am just upset Gusty The Great didn't return to defeat Grogar (in the final). Me want Gusty!!!! :wub:

For real. I must say that was a legit disappointment. At least two lame final season episodes could have been scrapped in favor to explore more of her :Cozy:.

I was so pissed I had to go out of my way to buy this :dry:

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

@Steve Piranha

If they give chrysalis a very traumatic backstory I might want to redeem her....like she was like thorax... Except there was no spike...

That would have a big deep scar for chrysalis to why she can't accept thorax... Because why wasn't it her?

Nah, Freudian excuse is no excuse trope has to be applied from tike to time >_>

I already despised reformed Discord and the Grogar twist made me hate him even more. :dry:

Although, it's pretty obvious when you rewatch episodes if you look at the color of Grogar's eyes.    :umad:

At the very least it resolves the problem of making a brand new villain's arc compete with all the seasons long returning ones. And gets the "resolve anything with a snap of his fingers" guy out of the picture by having him occupied and involved.

5 hours ago, Kujamih said:

I mean what would it take for you to accept chrysalis back story? What changes?

What changes you have in mind?

The backstory is fine, but there has to be a point a villain is so vile, that whatever backstory they have is irrelevant 

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

The backstory is fine, but there has to be a point a villain is so vile, that whatever backstory they have is irrelevant 

You'd love Chrysalis' backstory in the comics. :mlp_icwudt:

And it's not even that the villain has to be so vile, just that their backstory has to explain why they are the way they are. You can write a good villain that's only slightly or moderately evil so long as you maintain awareness of the fact that even though they have a backstory, their actions are wrong. 

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

So you are saying it would be better if she didn't have any? Or just randomly happened?... Hmmm

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

You'd love Chrysalis' backstory in the comics. :mlp_icwudt:

And it's not even that the villain has to be so vile, just that their backstory has to explain why they are the way they are. You can write a good villain that's only slightly or moderately evil so long as you maintain awareness of the fact that even though they have a backstory, their actions are wrong. 

Pretty much it

• Brohoof 2