Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was My Little Pony: A New Generation Edited Down To 90mins From A Longer Runtime?

bwrosas

Yeah I'd say that this is definitely a possibility considering how scenes felt pretty rushed at times and how the characters didn't have as much development as they should've. It wouldn't surprise my if the movie was originally going to be 100 minutes or more in duration, but the producers decided to cut things out to get it to a 90 minute run-time. Aspects like Pipp's character or the conclusion are big examples of things that could've benefitted from a longer run time. If this is the case, and if there were scenes cut out, I wonder if they would be featured in the DVD/Blu-ray release under special features.

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-09-25 at 4:36 PM, Truffles said:

Well, from the leaked animatic we know for sure there was a musical number between Argyle and Sunny that was cut. The only part that survived was the cameo by the Mane 6.

Id love to have seen it properly 

• Brohoof 1

The G4 movie struggled from the same problem. Seems like this is usually the case when there's "world hopping" from one place to the next trying to accomplish a quest in record time. Actually this film might have suffered from that even more than G4 because more time got spent on what was happening "back at the ranch" with Sprout's story, and Hitch (until he catches up with the others).

Yeah, I can tell there was some cut content around the middle and towards the end. For the story the film was going for, I think 90 minutes might've been too constricting. If there was a bit more flexibility, the pacing of it would've felt a bit more natural and I feel that some of the other characters would've had more screen time. The movie still achieves what it sets out to do, but I think a longer runtime would've fixed a few things.

Every film is edited, so I doubt this one is any different in that regard.  They were probably instructed to keep the runtime around the 90 minute mark because films that are primarily aimed at children tend to be on the shorter side as it's more difficult to keep children's attention if a film runs too long.