Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone believe in parallel universes?

Kaitlynne

7 hours ago, Kaitlynne said:

I like to believe that there are some out there. Who knows right?

I have been catching up on some quantum mechanics (on YouTube), and the many-worlds interpretation is a strong contender to how our world might work.

Anything quantum mechanics are just too difficult for most people to grasp, including myself. But if there are parallel universes, that could be the reason.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

I have been catching up on some quantum mechanics (on YouTube), and the many-worlds interpretation is a strong contender to how our world might work.

Anything quantum mechanics are just too difficult for most people to grasp, including myself. But if there are parallel universes, that could be the reason.

I know. It could be a reason, but it's only a guess (if I understand the theory correctly). We have to find some way of actually testing it before we start believing in it.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Stancet said:

I know. It could be a reason, but it's only a guess (if I understand the theory correctly). We have to find some way of actually testing it before we start believing in it.

When we can't test something (yet), but we have the math for it, you start to wonder if it could be real. Building upon these theories or guesses, can actually give us answers later if things start falling into places.

But there are more theories out there, which also support the math for quantum mechanics, so it is definitely not the only guess. It is a fun one though. I am definitely not a supporter of any of these theories since I don't have the data for quantum mechanics myself. I want to have the data, but it is simply not easily available at this moment.

Imagine if every choice you ever made branched into a different universe. Well, that is not what many-worlds interpretation is. It is branching off on every quantum event, and it is basically already an unknown condition to us. We don't interact with quantum events (directly, I think).

Interestingly, we do know everything about our own little world. We interact with it. And we can see very far out into the universe. But that is it. If we believe there are more universes, and we don't even understand our own universe, maybe we are simply looking too far.

I don't think so. I can't really wrap my head around the idea. I don't think the human brain can easily comprehend "infinity" since we really have nothing similar to compare it to.

I read a really good book last year called "The Midnight Library" about how our lives might be different if we made different choices, but our lives probably wouldn't be any better or worse, they'd just be different. We'd still deal with ups and downs. I found it quite comforting.

• Brohoof 1

I believe there is strong evidence for this to be real, however our evidence for it is relatively new and therefore it is hard to comprehend let alone prove or disprove the logic. If we take what we know about quantum physics and quantum mechanics, what we know about quantum physics or rather the theory of it. Would support that could indeed be two universes, parallel to our own and simply different interpretations of wavelengths. The fact is that we can't prove or disprove it so all we have is that there yes is a possbility although to comprehend it is not easy to be fair. Since we are essentially saying that there could be multiple universes existing at the same time eventually at some time we will have figured it out. Yet that's what quantum physics is all about to increase our knowledge beyond the atom. So it is rather exciting. 

• Brohoof 1

Always have, always will. Why limit yourself by thinking this universe is the only one? Or do you prefer the idea of boundless infinity in all directions that goes beyond what we can percieve? Don't limit yourself by what you percieve. Humans have such small minds and such small terms for the vast scale of it all, we'd be stupid to think with our limited ways and limited perceptions that we can percieve the vast scale of cosmic time and diversity ranging from one's choices.

I won't let the definitions of physics or 'science' tell me what is and what isn't. For so long humanity has relied on faith. You know what? That's good enough for me. I have faith in the unseen and the great unknown. If one can believe in God or religion which is all based on the unseen, why can't one believe in other dimensions? Just because they don't understand? Truth is stranger than fiction, after all.

Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-02-09 at 11:10 PM, Stancet said:

Nope! Don't believe there is any evidence to suggest it or any reason to believe it's important.

Yes there is. There’s tons of evidence. Some of the greatest minds on Earth have said they’re likely to exist. Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson. 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Kaitlynne said:

Yes there is. There’s tons of evidence. Some of the greatest minds on Earth have said they’re likely to exist. Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson. 

Exactly, plus its; only a matter of time until we discover some way to make use of that knowledge. To write it off as unimportant doesn't seem like the most intelligent of things to do, as reality is something we are constantly growing in our understanding of.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Starforce said:

Exactly, plus its; only a matter of time until we discover some way to make use of that knowledge. To write it off as unimportant doesn't seem like the most intelligent of things to do, as reality is something we are constantly growing in our understanding of.

I’m so glad someone agrees with me! 😃

• Brohoof 3

15 hours ago, Kaitlynne said:

Do you mind sharing said evidence with me? While I like to believe in multiple universe... I've never heard of there actually being set-in-stone evidence for it. Perhaps I missed something as I haven't been watching science videos that much anymore. I still do but not to the extent that I used to. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Scarlet02 said:

Do you mind sharing said evidence with me? While I like to believe in multiple universe... I've never heard of there actually being set-in-stone evidence for it. Perhaps I missed something as I haven't been watching science videos that much anymore. I still do but not to the extent that I used to. 

Here is some good articles here. You just have to research it. Besides, why would someone want to believe there is only one universe anyways? As opposed to an infinite set of sets, in infinite ways? It's way more fascinating than just one.

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Starforce said:

Here is some good articles here. You just have to research it. Besides, why would someone want to believe there is only one universe anyways? As opposed to an infinite set of sets, in infinite ways? It's way more fascinating than just one.

Thanks for sharing the links with us. I find this stuff so interesting that I’ll definitely check them out.

• Brohoof 2

55 minutes ago, Starforce said:

Thanks! It's not that I don't believe in it but my logic side gets annoyed when I try to believe in things without evidence. It's the reason I'm an atheist. If I ignore my logic side, yes it's way more fascinating to believe in multiple universes. I mean technically I do believe in the Many Worlds Theory so believing in parallel universes would be no different. 

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Scarlet02 said:

Thanks! It's not that I don't believe in it but my logic side gets annoyed when I try to believe in things without evidence. It's the reason I'm an atheist. If I ignore my logic side, yes it's way more fascinating to believe in multiple universes. I mean technically I do believe in the Many Worlds Theory so believing in parallel universes would be no different. 

Sometimes you can't always have evidence for things, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

Sometimes you can't always have evidence for things, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. 

Exactly! Which is totally true with Pinkie’s sixth sense. Twilight just had to accept that it didn’t make sense. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kaitlynne said:

Exactly! Which is totally true with Pinkie’s sixth sense. Twilight just had to accept that it didn’t make sense. 

Not everything in the world can make logical sense. We are emotional creatures. Logic isn't entirely within our nature. 

• Brohoof 1