Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

HereComesTom

(edited)

The title of the thread is a pretty good summary of my thoughts---I saw a youtube video of the second comic, and its comedy was as well-timed as the G-4 comedy, and its adventure was about on the same level as a G-4 episode, as well.  Plus the settings do provide plenty of nostalgia.  It's enough to make me toy with the idea of purchasing the comics to show some support for them!

I won't spoil too much (especially since I forgot how spoiler tags work on these forums), but I will say that, if I think these comics have one weakness, it's that they might be revealing too much of the mystery of how G-4's world turned into G-5's world, too soon.  We do need those mysteries paid off at some point, of course, but if that point comes too quickly, then we won't have enough of the mythos built up to continue the story after those payoffs happen.

To illustrate:  the Cutie Mark Crusaders' cutie marks were their driving motivation throughout most of the earlier seasons, but by the time they finally got their cutie marks, they'd developed enough new motivations so they could keep getting interesting episodes.  Twilight getting her wings was a big capstone for her character development over the first three seasons, but there was still enough development and conflict and motivation in her that she could still have stories told about her long after that point.  Those setups and payoffs in G-4 were well-paced, and I'm not sure this G-5 payoff is all that well-paced for the comics.

Which is too bad; the comics do an excellent job of telling their own story, and I'd hate for something to achieve that kind of good quality at the expense of the rest of the franchise.

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 3

42 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

it's that they might be revealing too much of the mystery of how G-4's world turned into G-5's world, too soon.

If the comics know the back story, and they spoil it before the TV-show is even aired, then that would be as bad as the Hub spoiling Twilight becoming a Princess during the commercial break of the last episode of FiM Season 3 :eww:

The moment they spoil the main plot for the TV-show, G5 will have no way of recovering from their already too many mistakes made.

• Brohoof 2

Its a nice comic but I do honestly think there is a lot wrong with it and the plot so far. 

Spoiler

It just doesn't make much sense to me how Equestria could so easily fall into turmoil after what seems to be one Unicorn and her "ideals". After everything that's happened in Gen 4, the fact this would happen and Twilight's solution was to just get rid of ALL magic completely feels a bit backwards. After everything we know of the characters, I really don't feel like that would be their solution unless it was some last resort. 

Discord is cool though! (As always).

• Brohoof 3

Basicly

2 hours ago, Codelyy said:

Its a nice comic but I do honestly think there is a lot wrong with it and the plot so far. 

Hide contents

It just doesn't make much sense to me how Equestria could so easily fall into turmoil after what seems to be one Unicorn and her "ideals". After everything that's happened in Gen 4, the fact this would happen and Twilight's solution was to just get rid of ALL magic completely feels a bit backwards. After everything we know of the characters, I really don't feel like that would be their solution unless it was some last resort. 

Basicly the comic ignored the whole message of G4.

Spoiler

Twilight is completely out of character with not trusting the ponies to solve their problems and takes their magic away as solution to it, that sounds like something Starlight Glimmer would have done when she was still evil and didn't believe in the power of friendship.

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Codelyy said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Doesn't make sense to me either, considering many characters have tried to manipulate everyone and it only seems to last temporarily. Haven't read the comic myself yet, though, so I will have to see for myself exactly how this unicorn came to change everyone's minds to such a significant degree.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-06-22 at 1:01 AM, ichigomomomya said:

Basicly

Hide contents

Twilight is completely out of character with not trusting the ponies to solve their problems and takes their magic away as solution to it, that sounds like something Starlight Glimmer would have done when she was still evil and didn't believe in the power of friendship.

My reply in spoiler:

Spoiler

Is it really that out of character tho? While I get why people are thinking that I can't but think something happened to alter Twilight's mindset and set the stage for what has become the world of G5. It doesn't have to be an OoC moment; maybe just an evolution due to something happening in her life.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-06-22 at 1:01 AM, ichigomomomya said:

Basicly

Hide contents

Spoiler

Twilight being so out of character is making me thinking Discord knows more then he's saying and isn't telling the truth, or at least the whole truth.

• Brohoof 1

We can hope Discord wasn't telling the truth---it'd solve my revealing-too-much-too-soon problem if he was; that's for sure!

And the comic isn't spoiling the plot of the TV shows; it's delving into how G-4 became G-5.

Spoiler

It would be interesting if Discord did turn out to be lying, but honestly I don't see why he would have a reason too. The way he's acted so far doesn't really rise suspicion or give hints to him possibly having become evil again. He's just yet again doing the wrong things with good intentions. Though I guess this time he has a valid reason to want to destroy the crystals. 

@MXCandy This is a reply to you but the message messed up :( 

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Codelyy said:
  Hide contents

It would be interesting if Discord did turn out to be lying, but honestly I don't see why he would have a reason too. The way he's acted so far doesn't really rise suspicion or give hints to him possibly having become evil again. He's just yet again doing the wrong things with good intentions. Though I guess this time he has a valid reason to want to destroy the crystals. 

@MXCandy This is a reply to you but the message messed up :( 

Spoiler

I don't think he's become evil, I just think there's more to the story than what he's saying. Twilight making such a rash choice makes me think that something happened that isn't being said in between the the unicorn introducing her ideals and Twilight taking magic away. Although I could be wrong and it could just be mischaracterization.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree that Twilight would use such drastic measures for such a common chronic problem of pony society. It's a Jake Skywalker moment. Inb4 the show overwrites everything.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I never bothered with G4 comics because the show was good on its own. But I'll keep them in mind, just in case G5 is not very good.

G5 comics looks more promising though... 

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

I can see twilight removing the magic.... If it ain't worth it remove it. And time can change anyone. Especially.... When you can age thousands of years.... 

Mane 5 were still alive ...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here's the thing:  Twilight was all about friendship; magic is just another force in the MLP universe that can be used for good, or for evil. 

Yes, friendship can fuel magic, but considering that Tirek had magic without friendship, and Discord had magic without friendship, and Chrysalis had magic without friendship---well, Friendship is Magic, but magic isn't necessarily friendship, if you see what I mean.

Assuming Discord was telling the truth:  what Twilight did was she ensured that magic couldn't be used at all without friendship.  That sounds like it's more of a safeguard to make sure magic is used in the right way than anything else; when I put it that way, I think her alleged actions make a kind of sense.

But I'm aware that there's a decent chance someone else will post here and explain why that line of thinking doesn't make sense; people on this forum are pretty good at that kind of thing.  No hard feelings on my part; I'd rather be told I'm wrong in a way that gets the gears turning than fool myself!

...Heck, there's a decent chance Discord was lying or leaving crucial details out, anyway.

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 1

On 2022-06-27 at 6:13 AM, Goat-kun said:

Mane 5 were still alive ...

I've finally read the comics.... I still think it's believable, the adult twilight, we have no idea what she really is anyway. We just saw her on the last episode and that's not much to tell about her. 

Discord still discord... And I'm licking them more in the comics than the show! They're faces have more character and expression! Has more impact really... Can't wait for chapter 3 and 4

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

I've finally read the comics.... I still think it's believable, the adult twilight, we have no idea what she really is anyway. We just saw her on the last episode and that's not much to tell about her. 

Discord still discord... And I'm licking them more in the comics than the show! They're faces have more character and expression! Has more impact really... Can't wait for chapter 3 and 4

Oh yes indeedio. Discord is still Discord but Twilight has changed. She might be a tentacle monster for all we know. I like tentacle monsters so it must be true 3Y6uKBJ.png.71535bf361a230ada5f5aa734ee04158.png (33×33)

On 2022-06-23 at 11:54 AM, Lady Kochos Pathfinder said:

My reply in spoiler:

Hide contents

Is it really that out of character tho? While I get why people are thinking that I can't but think something happened to alter Twilight's mindset and set the stage for what has become the world of G5. It doesn't have to be an OoC moment; maybe just an evolution due to something happening in her life.

Spoiler

I agree. I mean, Twilight changed so much over the course of a few seasons in FiM. She matured a lot from when she was a unicorn since she learned to embrace friendship rather than just stick to her books. Although securing magic in crystals seems extreme, it does make me think of how hopeless she felt in season 9 when Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow started their attack. She thought the world was going to end. Something similar must've went off in her mind here, or perhaps logic took full priority in her brain since friendship was no longer the solution to everypony's problems.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:
  Hide contents

I agree. I mean, Twilight changed so much over the course of a few seasons in FiM. She matured a lot from when she was a unicorn since she learned to embrace friendship rather than just stick to her books. Although securing magic in crystals seems extreme, it does make me think of how hopeless she felt in season 9 when Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow started their attack. She thought the world was going to end. Something similar must've went off in her mind here, or perhaps logic took full priority in her brain since friendship was no longer the solution to everypony's problems.

Spoiler

Twilight was never a perfect character either. I made a whole writing about how her character flaws could lead her to do something like this long before G5 was even released. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/MLP-Analysis-The-Morality-of-Twilight-Sparkle-878108051

Long story short, this would not be the first time Twilight went too far. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 9:32 PM, HereComesTom said:

I will say that, if I think these comics have one weakness, it's that they might be revealing too much of the mystery of how G-4's world turned into G-5's world, too soon

If I were you, I wouldn't trust in the comic events, because most of them aren't canon, so you basically are not spoiling yourself the new series.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I actually enjoy the IDW comics more than Make Your Mark and Tell Your Tale. I theorize that the comic just can't survive without its adult readership (because that's just the way comic books are nowadays). So they have to consider heavily what the adult Bronies want in a good story.

• Brohoof 2