S01:E35 - Panic on Harvest & Hugs Day

Ashen Pathfinder

I appreciate the emphasis on Pipps appreciation for "family traditions" it brings something back to her character, between this and the photo day episode of MYM it lets you know she is actually sentimental not just vain and egotistical and from other portrayals simple minded... and I guess Sparky has magic fire and regular fire, it's like a switch now Dragons can choose which fire they want to use lol

Also Zipp lol, it's worth the grief from others to love what you love girl, just own that easy bake xD

• Brohoof 3

Loved this episode! It was funny and cute at the same time. I enjoyed all of the characters and Zipp’s insecurity about the easy bake oven was another interesting thing about her character. Pipp was really funny here.

• Brohoof 3

This was another really fun, heartwarming and hilarious episode, especially with the shenanigans Sparky causes and Zipp with her Easy Bake oven, that was really adorable! :wub:

And it’s so cool seeing Thanksgiving be a thing in MLP and how Pipp and Zipp both want to do the family traditions when Queen Haven tells them that being together with family and friends  is all that matters!

Happy Harvest and Hugs! 

• Brohoof 6

Very happy that MLP finally did a Thanksgiving episode. Of course, Sparky is the one screwing everything up at the start, but beyond him being the cause of the episode's problem, I didn't find him annoying. I also like how Haven is back to being her likable self after appropriating a chunk of a wall last episode, even after getting a cake in the face (instead of a pie, because that's more original, ha ha!). Also enjoy how this episode does a good job exemplifying the true meaning of Thanksgiving, getting together with your family and having a good time appreciating what you have, that's all. 

Also, this thread's title should be updated, since the credits reveal that the episode's real title is "Making a Meal of It". "Panic on Harvest & Hugs Day" is the compilation title. 

• Brohoof 3

Pipp as a little filly was oh so adorable especially when she was sleeping before getting woken up with too much carrot cake. She also reminds me of how Twilight often freaked out whenever it came to an important guest or event.

Also, Heen Quaven is just pure comedic gold right there.

Finally, Hasbro felt compelled to include a subtle reference to the 'Easy-Bake-Oven' what with Zipp's oven with a similar name and premise.

• Brohoof 5

Pipp hates coming back empty-handed, and Zipp is sensitive about her cutesy side.

For Pipp, I can say that being doted on so much can make you terrified of falling short. I think that the cute apron can be seen as a little foreshadowing for Zipp's easy baking oven.

• Brohoof 4

Wow, this was interesting. First, it was a fall harvest themed episode, which is nice, as we get to learn more about pegasi tradition. Second, we start to see Pipp's family values start to come through, which is good considering TYT has been making characters pretty one dimensional so far. And Zipp with her oven was very cute too. I guess I'll let the fact that they used Sparky as a plot device again slide...

• Brohoof 4

Of course Sparky had to set things on fire, because that gag never gets old.  /s  Of course cartoon logic had to ensure everything got destroyed, because who needs physics?  Also, who needs common sense?  One would think a baby dragon would be the last creature to be invited to an event with plenty of flammable objects.  I don't care how "adorable" the crew thought it would be for him to blow the horn.

Still...learning about one of the Pegasus family's traditions is amusing enough.  The episode offers a bit of development for Queen Haven.  I think it's fine for what it is.  

• Brohoof 1

Not one of my favorites but it was fun. Its nice to learn more about the tribes traditions, I liked how Pipp was freaking out while Zipp was exasperated by it. I especially took interest in the family photo, Haven appears to be still a princess in it and I think the ponies on the right are her parents (maybe they all are just close relatives) with perhaps a little sister near them? We need more information on the members of the royal family ASAP. 

Also, was this the first spike sparky abuse in the series? 

• Brohoof 3

On 2022-11-10 at 5:52 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

Finally, Hasbro felt compelled to include a subtle reference to the 'Easy-Bake-Oven' what with Zipp's oven with a similar name and premise.

It's not the first time, though at least, unlike Pinkie's version in the 2017 movie, this one wasn't a cannon!

...Wait...it WAS a cannon, wasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

While this episode is very simple and predictable, it's actually pretty good for being a part of TYT. I like that we get introduced to a new pony holiday, and how it was a big deal to Queen Haven. In addition, Pipp actually has a semblance of a character that's not just an annoying social media obsessed influencer. I'd definitely say this is one of the better TYT episodes. 

One thing in particular that stood out about this episode was actually the picture of a younger Queen Haven beside some of her relatives. It would be cool if we could get a MYM episode about Pipp and Zipp's extended family. Heck, maybe we would finally learn what happened to their father. While there is no real indication as to whether they'd actually make an episode about the extended family, it's an interesting idea. 

• 10 months later...

I always enjoyed episodes about pony holidays, even if each one is basically a human one.

Would have liked it better if they went into the history about the holiday though. Also if this is about the harvest, and ponykind can now grow anything they want instantly, does this mean the holiday has lost it's meaning? Who would pegasi feel about earth ponies potentially ruining it?

This is the sort of thing the writers could have used in their statement about creating a show about cultures interacting. As well as dealing with a tradition if it changes.